Schwinn S30 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

S30 Bike

Schwinn S30 Bike

Cris Orozco   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2002]
Strength:

good climber, handles very good on trails, awsome look

cheap parts, had to upgrade almost everything

It is a great bike for beginers, i have used this bike in most conditions, mud, sand, snow, and it handles very good, exelent going up or down.
The bike is worth it.
i hade ride this bike for a approx of 1000 miles, some times over 25 miles per ride and it never complained.
Paint it's nice but a little weak.
There are out there better bikes now, but it is still worth it.
As a original bike is great, just get a new saddle.

Matt Campbell   cross-country rider [Mar 13, 1998]

The people I ride with are very serious about the sport. When I decided to buy a full suspension frame, I needed a product that would effectively handle hard-core conditions. However, I only had $1000.00 to spent at that time. When I discovered the Schwinn S.30, I was impressed with the frame design, the same frame as the higher quality Schwinn bikes. I bought the bike on sale for $750.00. It came equipped with Shimano STX components, a Rock Shox Deluxe rear, and a Rock Shox Indy C front suspension. After approximately 15 intense rides, the pedals, bottom bracket, rear derailleur, and chain were completely trashed; however, I love the frame,therefore I completely rebuilt the bike over the last 8 months. It is now fully equipped with Shimano XT, Raceface, Ritchey, Syncros, Kore, and Chris King components. The bike is totaly phat, what a $1200.00 difference! I am about to install a Bomber z.2 Atom Bomb suspension. Does Stratos make an on-the-fly adjustable rear shock that will fit the S.30? Anyways, the Schwinn S.30 is a great value. Eventually you can replace those low end components with what ever you desire and built your own S.30 ultimate riding machine! Swallow some mud and take it to the edge. Schwinn, VICTORY never tasted so Schweet!

Schwinnaphile   Weekend Warrior [Feb 23, 2001]
Strength:

This bike is rock solid. The rear suspension works flawlessly, and I have never had a problem with any of the mechanics on the bike.

The seven speed drivetrain is outdated. The original wheels were crap (luckily someone did me a favor and stole them for me), and the Avid 1.0's could use a little help. The Indy fork wasn't up to the quality of the frame.

This was a great bike for the beginning rider (which I was). The value of the bike was unbeatable at the time. Requires upgrades with time.

Roger Pihlaja   Weekend Warrior [Jul 22, 2000]
Strength:

Price/Performance Ratio, Sweet Spot (tm) rear suspension works very well - makes hill climbing much easier, Frame is well engineered, HD Construction, Beautiful Fit/Finish, Transmission Shifts Very Positive & Stays In Adjustment

Rock Shok Indy-C front fork could use more travel (75 mm) & better damping, Sometimes wish the transmission had more than 21 speeds, Araya TM-820 alloy rims seem a little soft & need frequent TLC to keep them spinning true, The stock saddle is too hard, Avid Single Digit 10 brakes need more stopping power, especially when wet

I have been a recreational on & off-road rider for over 35 years. I like to ride in the woods to enjoy the wilderness, not tear up the trail. I bought the 1998 Schwinn S-30 primarily for trail riding & off-road camping trips with my Boy Scout troop. I paid about $800 for it. In the Spring of 1998, when I bought the bike, the S-30 was head & shoulders better than anything else in sub $1000 price category. The Sweet Spot (tm) rear suspension is very impressive & essentially makes a rear suspension lock-out unnecessary for hill climbing. You must develop a riding style where you stand up & lean forward for hill climbing in order to make the rear suspension stiffen up properly. But, this is the proper way to climb a hill anyway & the bike rewards you with much more efficient power transfer to the ground. Every other full supension bike I tested in this class tended to compress the rear suspension & "squat" down, thus wasting a substantial fraction of my effort when I stood up & really cranked on the pedals.

At 72" height, 32" inseam, & 230+ lbs; I'm a big heavy guy. In addition, it's pretty common to load 40+ more lbs of gear aboard for a trail riding camping trip. The bike has withstood nearly 3 years of this sort of use very well. The full suspension keeps me from getting beat up & allows me to stay on the trail at least as long as my Scouts. My Scouts refer to my S-30 as "Mr. P's Orthopedic Bike". Of course, this usually after I'm one of the first to cover a 30 mile trail & arrive at the campsite with sufficient remaining energy to set-up camp & start dinner!

The Schwinn S-30 was my first full suspension bike, having used a completely rigid Trek mountain bike up to that point. Now, I'm a believer. The full suspension technology is wonderful & literally permits older riders to stay active in the sport without spending a ton of money. The S-30 is good equipment - period.

Similar Products Used: Demo tested comparable models from Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, & Mongoose before I bought the Schwinn S-30
Bobby12many Adams   Weekend Warrior [Feb 15, 2000]
Strength:

Great Welds, Good Handling and braking. Unbelievable Value.

A little Heavy for those weight weiners. Low Level components.

Great Entry Level to Novice bike for those who take it off road. Had to give it *5* big flamers for the overall value of this bike. It was well worth every dollar I payed for it.

mike rescigno   Weekend Warrior [Nov 14, 1999]
Strength:

braking and handling on downhills

weight, low level components

having been riding for more than 5 years this is a great entry level bike as it is. As you progres change the components to a better quality and a little lighter and you can shed at least 1.5 lbs off this bike with no problem. At times this bike seems to be able to take more pain than the expensive bikes and keeps on going....

Tony   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 1999]
Strength:

Braking
Fit is fantastic
In the saddle, takes bump out like an iron
Out of the saddle, you should be using you legs anyway.

Just a few pounds heavy.
No where for a air pump or rack to be placed.

For the money the bike is sweet, looks great, handles well. Can take a severe beating on the downhill. Front shocks could use a bit more travel. Rear again, would be great to have effect when out of the saddle.

Derek Jensen   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 18, 1999]
Strength:

Good brakes

Heavy, low-quality suspension travel, crappy components, probably the worst suspension design I've ever seen/ridden, and - what's this?- you spend a grand and you only get a 7-speed in back?!!

Why are the reviews for this vile peice of crap so good?!! Shifts worse than my previous '96 Trek 830 w/Alivio/Gripshift. Try to shift with even moderate pressure on the pedals and BAM! Your feet are jarred off the pedals as the bike attempts to make the roughest, hardest shift possible. Suspension design is idiotic - it only works when you're climbing, bobbing up and down, up and down, but then when you descend, it DOESN'T work because the pedals (which you're weight should be resting on) are in the same triangle as the wheel. Do NOT buy a full-susp. bike unless you're spending at least 2 grand, cuz the added cost gives you crappy components and shocks and added weight. Do yourself a favor and spend a paltry $700 on a '98 Trek 7000. I did, and it shifts way faster, is WAY lighter (25.2 lbs.), has a nice ride, and has an actual 8-SPD!! All for less dough than this load of crap.

Similar Products Used: '96 Trek 830 SHX
'98 K2/Proflex 2000
'98 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FS
'98 Trek 7000 (current bike, SWEET!!)
Leif   weekend warrior [Dec 02, 1998]

I am 30 yrs. old, 150 lbs. (175 when I bought the bike), have ridden my 98 S30 for 5 months and have approx. 400 miles on it. I consider myself an intermediate rider. Positive: good deal for the money, reliable, excellent dealer support in Tucson. Negative: shifters need to be adjusted weekly, cables route behind the front tire underneath the bike and quickly get sticky from dirt, rims get knocked out of true easily, front sprocket bends easily, stock tires and tubes are useless, fork is worthless for downhills. Keep in mind that the trails I ride are steep and very rocky. The rear suspension is not active unless you are sitting on the seat and forks in this price range are pretty much hyped up springs that have virtually no damping, so this bike is not a good choice for people who love bombing downhills. The rear suspension delivers more power to the ground than fully active rear suspension designs, so it is preferrable for beginners or cross country hardtail lovers with sore butts. The bike climbs and corners respectably. I gave it a rating of four stars because it is a relatively inexpensive introductory bike that never brakes down and got me completely hooked on mountain biking. The negative comments I mentioned can be eliminated with a few component upgrades.

Daniel Klingenberg   racer [Oct 13, 1998]

I just bought the `98 S-30 bike from a local store here. It was on sale here for 95,000 yen or about $800 USDA. I mainly use it to get back and forth to work a distance of about 40km eacg way. The full suspension sure helps on the bumps and curbs. The bike weighs in pretty light around 25lbs and the componets are mostly STX entry level gear. It is a good beginners bike for the dual suspension entry rider. Acceleration is good same as a stiff tail, but to benefit from the rear suspension you have to have your butt planted firmly in the seat. So far I`d recomend this bike to an entry level person with a limited budget. I can`t giver a Five till I`ve put er firmly through the Wash and the test of time. Another review in 6 months will be more beneficial to those of you looking to buy this bike.