Schwinn S10 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

S10 Bike

Schwinn S10 Bike

Ray Grohman   [Oct 19, 2013]
Strength:

Very easy bike to handle feels like it fits right from the get - go

I was riding a Trek Fuel 90 and i found a Schwinn S-10 very well cared for, still has the same tires on it. Looks like its brand new after a good cleaning. Anyway I took it out on a good run now I know what everyone is talkiing about. If you get a chance ride one, you will see what I mean. Now Im on the hunt for another one. The bike is way ahead of its time!

Hal Parrish   All Mountain Rider [Mar 23, 2013]
Strength:

This bike is tuff and ready all the time. It fairs better than me after every crash I've ever had on it.

Bike came with all LX parts. Front disk-break did'nt last.

Im A 58 year-old rider, Bought my S10 ALL MOUNTAN new in 98. Replaced parts as needed with all XTR, Race Face. Front disk with Avid Machanical Disk (LOVE IT), Back brake with XTR V.SUP Ceramic rim and pads with a horseshoe on top to stop any flex, stronger springs in Judy Tripel clamp, Same rear Rockshox Deluxe ,I snapped an allen off on rear triangel, Schwinn sent me a HOME GROWN triangle (nice machined aluminium). I think that if I had to choose between my S10 ALL MOUNTAN, and my Intense Tracer, it would be the S10 ALL MOUNTAN, for its simplicity. This bike was ahead of its time, no one had front disk brakes, and a triple clamp fork in 98. LOVE MY S10 ALL MOUNTAN (its blue)

SCOTT BARTLETT   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2009]
Strength:

DURABLE LIGHT FAST AND QUIET

DONT MAKE ANY MORE

I got it new in 1997 didnt know I should have gotten a heaver spring for my weight 190+.I got a A10 cane creek used about 5 years befor rebiuld was needed cane creek swaped it out for a new A12 for $100.00 sweet.i have to clean pivit once or twice a year the pin is still like new .glued the bushing back in a couple of times.I just got a 2001 Specialized FSR used good shape, not as good a ride peddals hit the ground in plases the s10 dosnt.Let my 2o yearold boy ride the Fsr 3/4 of an hour in the trails then swaped bikes he liked the s10 better allmost immediately.

Jared   [Oct 31, 2006]
Strength:

This Full Suspension bike is lite. Schwinn doesn't make 'em this good anymore. It's sturdy and a pleasure to ride. Since my brother replaced the swingarm pivot (which is no longer made/sold by Schwinn or elsewhere) with a custom bearing setup he designed, this bike is also going to last *forever* now. :-)

There is a bit of "pogo'ing" when pedalling. It was really noticable when I first got the bike (mainly due to having a dead rear shock), but I don't really notice it anymore. It's inherent to this frame/swingarm design, which is no longer made, for that reason.

When dealing with a bike of this age (and perhaps this bike series (S10. S20, etc.) in particular), you will be told you *CANNOT* replace the rear shock. That a replacement simply does NOT exist By everyone. Every bike shop and shock dealer will tell you the same thing. This is what happened to me.

* D O N O T B E L I E V E T H E M ! ! ! * (I'll explain below)

My Rockshox Delux (rear shock) was shot. I was riding on just the spring with no oil left. You wanna talk about some serious pedal bob "pogo-stick" action. The bike was virtually unrideable! And everyone I went to, told me the same thing... just buy a new bike.

But EVERYTHING ELSE on the bike *WAS* replaceable! Including the swingarm pivot, if a family member (like my brother) happened to know how to design one. How could the rear shock be the ONLY part that wasn't?

So I looked online, at EVERY shock dealer/manufacturer I could find. All of them told me the same thing I was told by everyone else... buy a new bike. We don't make a shock for that bike. And after hours and days of searching, I finally came acoss a manufacturer that NO ONE told me about, yet *I* found. And it was one I'd heard of before, even in just passing.

CANE CREEK

THEY make a shock that fits the Schwinn S10. They make TWO shocks, actually. I opted for the "Cloud Nine" (their best), but they have another one that I don't recall at the moment, that also works. And, they will take your old shock in as a trade-in ($100-$150 value, if I recall correctly) towards one of theirs! Even if it's as dead as my RockShox was!

The bottom line is, the Schwinn S10 is an awesome, light aluminum bike. The swingarm CAN be replaced/upgrade, but only with custom parts (or *maybe* stock parts, if you can find 'em on eBay or someplace). The rear shock is also replacable ("Cloud Nine" by Cane Creek) and everything else is as well.

If you can get this bike and it's swingarm pivot is in good shape (or you know how to repace it, if not), GET IT! This bike is far better (and lighter) than any Schwinn made today, you can buy in a WalMart or elsewhere. The saying is: "They don't make 'em like they used to." This is 100% true!

Similar Products Used: None
Steve   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2008]
Strength:

previous poster Jared - read below

Jared (who posted below) - I want to hear about how you and your brother designed a custom pivot setup for this bike. Tried contacting you directly but @gmail account failed. We are attempting to do the same thing with needle bearings to avoid the bushing issue altogether, so want to hear any/all details of your setup and how it's holding up. Reply back and let me know, Steve ps. I have a 97 homegrown factory FS and would echo all the comments on this very similar bike.

mike stringer   Cross Country Rider [May 07, 2007]
Strength:

awesome ride and response still on original rockshox deluxe dual dampening

finding parts

had to give it a new look so i ground the bassboat blue off now it is raw aluminium but i have to find the original sticker kit or have some made gonna clearcoat it in glow in the dark clear

Similar Products Used: nothing i've ridden has this ride i'm 40
this was a factory riders bike originally from north bay ontario canada i bought the frame @ a bike show for 150 and it escalated from there
Rick Patterson   Downhiller [Nov 13, 2002]
Strength:

The bike is tough, and fast. You can x-country with it, or take it down the mountain.It jumps like a BMX bike, and is very predictable.

On the really wixked down-hills the chain pops off quite a bit so I've shortend the chain and that seemed to help. Blew out the front Rock shox, but it gave me two good years. Also blew out the original rockshox rear shock.

The bike has been great. I keep two sets of wheels, one for x-country and another for DH. The new suspension set-up is TONS better than the stock suspension. Bike has always been a little "off" in the shifting department, but you get use to that.Even for a 98' it still performs just as well as many of my friends newer bikes, if not better.

Similar Products Used: GT rts 3, Giant, K2
los lobos   downhiller [Mar 12, 1998]

Iam going to purchase the 98 s-10 all montain but i would like to know if they have improved their braking system, also where im from their is a lot of rocks so the front disc could be a disadvantage. I recommend that if you're from a town with a lot of rocky trails and loose rock try to get the dealer to swap youre disc for some decent hydraulics if any body has this bike i can`t wait to see you're review on it.

Arnold Nagy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 10, 2000]
Strength:

Looks (1999 model), Acceleration, Weight do to Carbon frame, Parts for that price.

Seat is terrible, The break cabels are placed on the bottom where it gets all cloged up by mud, squiking sound at the sweetspot do to its Carbon hollow frame.

As i said, the bike is really good loking really light in weight and i am totally satisfied with its back and front shocks (Delux and Judy SL)however the break line always gets cloged up and that stupid squiking sound. I solve this problem by watering its sweet spot for 2 minutes under high pressure water. It works, at least till it doesnt dry out again. Oil or greese wont work so dont even try.