Schwinn Mesa GSX Bike 1998 or Older

Schwinn Mesa GSX

THX-mtb   [May 01, 2013]
Strength:

Durability, dependability. Chromed handlebar finish has not marred a bit. Never intended as a high end bike, but surprisingly able to hold her own in their presence (specially when they break down and she keeps going).

By this date most owners will have changed the original seat, pedals, and maybe front fork, for better and lighter alternatives. Not to mention the grips and tires.

After all this years, nearly 15 of constant use, she's given me no grief. Maintenance has been minimal, with only the ocasional silicone based spray lubricant and very sparse tweaking of components. Bearings were replaced once, just to be sure. She's still a very able mountain bike although she's been actually ridden more as a city bike. I live in Puerto Rico where the roads are pretty harsh and a hill is never very far, so her being a mountain bike isn't much of a detriment on pavement. I kept her tires wide to take all the punishment and deal with the ever present, tire swallowing, wide spaced sewer grills. Medium-hard PSI seem to be the best compromise between efficiency and shock absorption in the urban setting. Also used knobby on front to deal with gravel and occasional mud and slick on the back for better rolling. She can take on mud guards and all sorts of attachments (lights, bell, mirror, comp) to make her a great urban bike and her handling is great in traffic. One thing i'd like is to get a bigger plate on her crankset to increase her top speed on long flats and downhills, but I dont know if I can or will. At 31 pounds she's an OK weight, even when compared to present day mtb's. All in all she's a pretty decent bike as is, but considering all her years of service and her initial price it just makes for an outstanding piece of equipment. Sadly, later versions of this bicycle did not match up.

Puff the Magic Dragon   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2002]
Strength:

She ain't exactly pretty, but what a damn ride. Extremely durable, manueverable, and responsive on tight curves. An overall solid ride.

Weak bar ends and pedals.

Ok, for all you Schwinn Mesa GSX lovers, I got mine for the low $150, which included shipping, from an on-line auction. I didn't know anything about this bike prior to purchasing it blindly on-line. Man, this set rocks! I, of course, had to ditch the nasty seat and pedals...and am planning to upgrade other components. But, overall, it's an awesome buy whether at $500 or $150. Betsy, as I like to call her, takes the worse licking but just drives on. Minus her unsightly complexion (paint chafs easily), she's a beaut in that simplicy in design makes her durable for downhill whipe-outs and challenging drops.....very responsive in high-speed cornering.....a beast in hill climbing. She's ready to ride--anytime, anyplace (EXCEPT where there's mud)--quick on the march, stops on a dime. Although she is a middle to light-heavyweight bike, the ride will fool you into believing she's lighter than she really is. If you are looking for something to go tear-assing through all sorts of terrain (even through the urban jungle looking for a slurpee) and not worrying about failing on you, this bike make the finest choice.

Similar Products Used: 2001 GT i-drive 4.0, old hard-tail Mongoose.
Chris Gowen   weekend warrior [Sep 30, 1998]

I think this bike is the best. the last bike i had was a specialized stumpjumper
and the goddamn frame cracked and belive it or not they wouldn't take it bake
mis use. If riding every weekend is miss use you can kick me in the nuts. so
if you think this bike sucks then i think you suck

john   weekend warrior [Sep 28, 1998]

If you are even thinking of buying the Mesa GSX, do it today. The 99 Mesa GSX was downgraded badly. The bikers must have been buying the 98 mesa gsx instead of the moab3 because of their strong similarities and cheaper price. For the 99, the mesa gsx stinks! This might sound a little crazy, but the 98 Mesa GSX sure does look like and ride like the 99 Moab3 (except for the paint job of course).

Isaac   weekend warrior [Sep 21, 1998]

I've had my 21 98 red mesa gsx for a little over three months. HTis bike is a great buy for the money. The problems I've had deal with the components. I know I'm a fat boy (210)but I broke the pedals (the plastic center part) after a hard weekend on my farvorite trails. I've had shifting problems with the rear stx but that was little stuff. This last weekend I smashed the rear rim and the bike shop says they couldn't fit it. All together this bike is a great buy and you lose very little compared to the Moab.

Daivd Bull   cross-country rider [Mar 18, 1998]

I love the ride this bike gives me. I was surprised at the price for so much good stuff that it has. It has seen the trails many times and has beaten most of the other bikes I ride with. It out performes all the expensive Trek's my buddies ride. This bike loves to go fast and loves to take a beating. I would have to recommend Schwinn to anyone. And if you dont like the bike bye it for the great paint job ( red and yellow).

Vadim   cross-country rider [May 17, 1998]

This bike is great. I researched many other bikes and found this one to be the best. It is better than all trek, specialized, and giant bikes in this price range. I got this bike for 0nly 475 (25 dollars below invoice). It's a great deal with an aluminum frame and Indy S Rock Shox. It's very light and the brakes are awsome.

Wayne   Weekend Warrior [May 23, 2001]
Strength:

Great climber, light,

Paint, Wheels.
I got mondays bike. THe paint rubbed off easy and I keep breaking spoke nipples. Also a little long for sharp corners. My biggest weekness was customer support.
on steep trails.

This is my second one, My first bike was trouble free but stolen from my garage after owning it for only 2 months.

Bike is a great ride I just wish it would stay looking as good as it rides. I changed the wheels for fear of them flying apart on my way to where I like to ride. I reach speeds of 40 mph down one of the hills coasting on my way there, 8 mph back.
Be safe and get new wheels or respoke them.

Similar Products Used: Specialized hard rock
David   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2000]
Strength:

Stiff frame, low weight, excellent brakes, excellent tires, high-quality componentry, adjustable everything,

Indy S suspension fork tends to lose stiffness over time. Seat is mildly uncomfortable after a long ride. Paint easily scars.

This is my first "real" mountain bike. I've had experience with a wide variety of bikes, but this was the first I've actually bought, and it hasn't dissapointed.

As an introductory bike, Schwinn's Mesa GSX has the market cornered. (I'm referring to the 1998 Mesa GSX; it was downgraded for 1999.) All of the componentry is top-notch for the price. The frame is light, stiff, and suits it's intended audience to a T.

One feature that stood out in my early riding days were the brakes. Even now, I have to be aware of their immense power, lest I land on my back with hard front braking. The control is excellent, and they'll rival disc brakes in most conditions. (NOT mud! Anything that involves water should be avoided.)

To cut this short, it's an excellent value for the money.

Similar Products Used: None. Used a lot of full-suspension bikes, but few hardtails of this caliber.
Biking Bill   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2000]
Strength:

Frame, money well spent.

I haven't found any yet except for the saddle

This was the first bike I bought. I was surprised of the looks I got on the trail, and after getting off the trail, people said they didn't think a Schwinn could do that. After riding for a while I was told to enter races. The 1st one I entered I came in 4th to my surprise. The 1st place winner had a Specialized, the 2nd had a Gary Fisher, and the 3rd had a kline. There bikes were more than $900 a piece and I only paid $485 for mine. All in all I have never been let down by this bike. Unfortunately I bought a Cannondale last spring. I prefer riding my Schwinn over my Cannondale any day. It will take everything you can throw at it and keep coming back for seconds.....