Salsa Cycles ALa Carte Bike 1998 or Older

ALa Carte

Salsa Cycles ALa Carte

KC   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 15, 1999]
Strength:

Sweet steel ride, relaxed geometry, special feel of riding a custom frame

Bought it used at LBS (Cycles de Oro - the best!).Don't know how old it is. A pleasure to ride anywhere, anytime. Ross and the left coast gang deserve five flaming habaneros for their good works.

Similar Products Used: GT Karakoram Schwinn High Plains
Juan   cross-country rider [Mar 06, 1999]

This is for all those Doubting Thomas' out there whine about steel. Oh, it'll rust, Oh, it's so heavy, Oh, it's just not hip enough! Waaaaaa.
This is my second AlaCarte in about 6yrs. Sold the first not due to weight, rust, or lack of cool, but to try out front suspension again. (I'd tried it years ago the trade-offs were'nt worth at that time)
So, now I'm on a suspension corrected AlaCarte, steel bike. Marzocchi A-bomb up front, full XTR, WTB grips, tyres, saddle. 24lbs. complete folks, on the money, in the 19.5 size. That's pretty good in my book.
The bikes still climb, descends, and lasts as good or better than anything out there. And in case you haven't heard, the frameset price has come down considerably. They can be had for $600 most places. And Ross and the folks at Salsa are some of the nicest, friendliest, most helpfull people on the planet.
So here's a question for all you biker friends out there... What the heck is up with everyone supporting the huge conglomerates instead of the down to earth little guys who got us all started in the first place?!! Without trying to sound too preachey here, why on earth is everyone so content to hand over there hard earned cash for a cheesey GT,Trek,Specialized,Connondale, etc., tire of it in 6months, sell it to buy another brand... When they could have just bought from a cool, small builder in the first place and been excited and happy about thier sweet ride for years?
I'm out! Salsa's are kind.

dan loon   Weekend Warrior [Dec 12, 2002]
Strength:

Geometrey, tubing, craftmanship, weight, strength, flexibility,

if anything weight

I have owned this particular frame now for going on 8 years. Many things have come and gone in my life, this frame is not one of them. Older Salsa frames are increbible. Especially in an age of high-tech junk. I highly recommend if you can to get your hands on a Salsa frame handmade in Petaluma by Ross and his buddies, not the new ones. Mine is a 1994 made during the prime of Salsa frame making. I equate it to a 1967 Cobra Mustang.......rare and worth lots!

Similar Products Used: older Giant
Steve   Cross-Country Rider [May 01, 1999]
Strength:

Awesome climber, fantastic on the downs and the cross country just puts you in the zone and you go! The frame is so nice and forgiving.

Still getting used to throwing my ass back to keep from dropping on the bars. The front derrailluer cable is routed odd and rubbing into the frame. I'm going to look into a guide to prevent anything beyond cosmetic damage

This is my first hand fabricated bike. I have only ridden steel GTs and Treks, now with this bike I don't think I'll be trying anything else for a long time. It took a couple of rides to adjust to the new geometry but now it's just a dream to go ride on. I love it so much that I got a set of wheels with cheap-o slicks so I could ride it to the office. The way I see it, if I'm going to ride into work and around town that's no reason to let this beauty wait at the house for me to hit the woods. I know I don't have alot of experience with other frames and materials but like I said, I won't be learning much anytime soon. In summary, it's a warm fuzzy ride.

Similar Products Used: Been riding a steel GT for 3 yrs.