Rocky Thin Air Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Thin Air Bike

Rocky Thin Air

Bob Stickers   Cross Country Rider [Nov 13, 2002]
Strength:

98 Thin Air. Fantastic bike and outstanding components.

Bike had 600 miles of mid to hard XC use and 10,000 miles of road/paved bike path use. Very well maintained and once the original rims were replaced with X517s no real problems until the frame failed without any warning. Top tube behind the headset snapped the the front triangle collasped inwards. RM wouldn't warranty initially then send out bottom line frame they had kicking around to placate me. They did do something but far from what I expected and feel was owed. While there was a 5 yr warranty on this al frame obviously with such a catastrophic failure you'd got to wonder when and how to tell when you should just hang the frame up b/c its unsafe. All the parts that fit were put on a Giant NRS Air and are doing well. Can't say the same for me but thank God for helmets.

Companies take advantage of customers every change they get and play by their own rules and ignore warranty terms.
Regardless of statements to the contrary bikes/frames don't last for every or even for their warranty period and they do fail without warning.

My ratings reflect the bike when it was working, prior to the "big crash". While RM makes some excellent bikes and specs them well their breach of my warranty and BS they fed me would lead me to choose some other manufacturers product in the future.

Sean   cross-country rider [Mar 13, 1998]

Rocky Rulez! I have a '96 Thin Air avec XTR components and a carbon fibre Judy fork. It weighs nothing and climbs like mad. The geometry works great for technical riding but still manages to inspire confidence in the fast stuff. The factory anti chainsuck thing was a nice touch!

Brodie   cross-country rider [Jul 13, 1997]

This is one sweeeet bike!

Andrew   racer [May 18, 1998]

I posted right after I got my 98 TA around the new year and said I'd follow up so here it is. THE BIKE IS STILL SWEET! After being thoroughly thrashed in three
big races and a midweek race series it is holding up well. I needed to re-adjust the rear derailleur last week(minutely), but that is after leaving it untouched for four months. No qualms with ESP. I replaced the slightly uncomfy saddle with a Flight ti, the grips with some Pedros, the fast wearing Taya chain with an XT and the brake pads with Kool-Stops (wore out). The first two were personal choices, so I have really only needed to put about $45(CAN) into the bike, and I have been putting in the miles! Yes, the levers are still plastic, but I have learned to love them.
Keep the bike clean, and it'll stay loyal.
If you buy a Thin Air, you won't be disappointed.
Keeps my original rating!

Gjermund Espeseth   weekend warrior [Jan 08, 1997]

Rocky Mountain Blizzard
I have buildt a custom Blizzard.With XT,XTR,Syncros,Judy.It works perfektly,and its awsome on downhill and singletracks.The steel frame is stiff,quick and it have a racing geometry that make the bike very fast.Just try it,and fall in love.I'll give my Girl 5 Hot chillis.

Scotty   Cross-Country Rider [May 24, 1999]
Strength:

light

very poor quality control and warranty service

This frame was a warranty replacement which took a month to get, was badly misaligned at the factory and Rocky refused to repoace it with a correctly welded one. I had to pay $400 for the warranty.I like to support Canadian companies, and have owned numerous Rockies before but NEVER again. If this is a typical example of how they treat lifelong customers my advice is to buy ABR (anything but Rocky). I would give it a zero rating if possible.

Similar Products Used: Rocky Altitude, Vertex,Cyrrus, Stratos
Ian Slater   Cross-Country Rider [May 05, 1999]
Strength:

Stiff, unbelivably durable frame.
Solid XT component group.
Sun CR17 rims (handbuilt wheels)

Mid-price cranks, Mag21 shock

This bike is amazing. I bought it in 1995, and have since logged over 3000kms on it. Most of my riding as been done on the rooty, rocky, muddy trails of the Canadian Rockies. The bike has not had a single mechanical problem. Not one. In fact (and this is completely unbelievable): I have yet to required a wheel trueing. The bike climbs like a demon, and devours single track. Buy, buy, buy.

Keith Jines   weekend warrior [Nov 21, 1998]

my favorite bike is the new Huffy Primous it is a fantastic bike even thow i dont have one. ive test drove the bike and when i did that was moven the bike is made of titniam alloy and has 52 spoked rims it is a great bike.

Vernon   racer [Oct 06, 1998]

Bought my Thin Air to replace my Specialised hardrock. This bike is oh sooooo light and fast. Climbing, no problem - this baby feels like an extension of yourself. Since I bought it as a limited edition frame, I laid it out with Cane Creek Crono Ti wheels and SID fork. Now it weights less than 22 pounds. After all that's been said about made in USA products, I'm convinced Canadians do kick ass with their products - cheers for rocky mtn and raceface. A word of advice though, change the @#$% ESP derailleur, mine broke into 2 after a stationary - STATIONARY - fall. For the bike, must be worth 5 flaming chillies.

Mike   cross-country rider [Jul 05, 1998]

I was going to get an Oxygen Race but couldn't find a frame my size. I was forced to move up to a 21 Thin Air. The extra cash outlay was worth it though. This bike feels like a feather while climbing and making its way over North Shore roots. Downhill is handled quite responsively by the Bobmber Z2s although a bit more travel would be nice (Z1s next time). I must comment that the ESP 1:1 actuation ratio in the rear gives incredibly speedy shifts and has yet to go out of tune. Minor trouble with the spokes on my rear wheel loosening (not enough spoke prep goo?) compliments of Chris (grr) at Wheeltech. Also, is it me or do Synchros stems seem to loosen up a bit too easily? Ignoring the minor issues, this is one 'sweet' ride.