Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race Bike 1998 or Older

Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race

Luke Patterson   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2007]
Strength:

1.Wicked Fast and responsive.

2.Stiff

3.Aggressive Geometry

4.Sharp Steering

5.Light

1.Chainsuck (it's terrible for this)

2.Weak Decals

3.Mushy Stock brakes no matter what you do to them

4. Heavy Fork (4 lbs. only 80mm of travel)

A wicked fast, responsive, and fast steering race bike.

If you want to go fast, this bike is for you!!!

Similar Products Used: Norco Bush Pilot, Specialized Epic
Paul   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2001]
Strength:

1) The "nard saver" bar. I.e., it has an aggressively sloped top-tube with great stand-over clearance.

2) Has put up with my abuse. This is a pretty big deal after seeing a friend's bike crack.

3) Better than average stock tires. I think stock were the velociraptors, but I had some similar Mythos thingie. I guess the bike shop changed them.

1) Chain suck is unforgivable. The only real reason I want to replace this bike. Friend bought a 2001 Oxygen and I see the tight clearance and wish him well. I ruin chains on a regular basis.

2) Seat post was weak, but I did need to pull it right to the limit line because of the aggressively-sloped top tube.

3) Brakes are not good. Even new cables and housing do not seem to improve them. The spring back on the brakes and brake levers are *terrible*

4) Smoother, rounded stem to "soften" nasty knee impacts would have been nice, but I don't recall those stems being common in 97/98.

5) Due to tight small triangle (which is due to the nard saver top tube) second water bottle braze-on is under the down tube. This is useless since the bottle gets totally muddy. I had to buy a hydration backpack.

Ridden it for 4 or 5 years, not sure which, and it has put up with all kinds of abuse and crashes. Managed to dent the bottom bracket a bit riding home-made totters and landing on the bricks used for support.

The chain suck is annoying enough that if any bike even looks a bit like the chain stays are close to the rings I will not buy it. I think that rules out Oxygens unless they do some re-design. Sorry Rocky, but I'm sick of taking out mashed links on the trail.

Various different anti-chain suck devices have been tried, and they die quickly due to being continually smacked by the chain. Also, they are not bombproof, and when you have one one and chain suck manages to occur, it is 1000 times worse. I removed my for this last season and had pretty good luck. Totally new drivetrain probably helped a bit, too. But it is still there, damn it.

If you ride it on dry fire roads, you probably won't have such a big problem with chain suck ... but if you honch through mud and do lots of technical stuff you will whine as much as I do.

If you don't weigh a lot, or if you don't like to ride small bikes, your seatpost won't be so high and maybe you won't have to replace it.

Similar Products Used: This was my first mtn bike. Have tried friends bikes for half-rides.
Marc Zurfluh   cross-country rider [Sep 28, 1998]

I bought a '97 Oxygen Race early in the season and I love it. It is damn light and overall has a smart component selection. The Avid 2.0 levers are amazing and work excellent with the LX brakes. I changed the shifters to LX Rapidfires because I hate Grip SHIfT. But I think the retail price is way too high at $1600.00 CAN. I payed $1200 which is what I think would be a fair asking price. Also, I think the Indy XC's really suck. It took me 3 months to get them worn in enough to absorb impacts, and a month after that they're already too mushy. Another problem is that the derailleur hanger is way too weak. Sure they're supposed to break in a hard impact, but it's not supposed have butter like qualities. Also my rear rim has to be trued after almost every ride, which gets pretty annoying.
The pedals are pretty good, but it would be a good idea to upgrade to Shimano 535's.Despite all the things I criticized, I think this is an amazing performing bike and I would recommend it if you can get one for less than $1300 (CAN).

Steve Dimitriadis   weekend warrior [Jul 12, 1997]

ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM. What else can you say about this bike. Its so easy to climb on this thing, I look forward to hills I used to avoid. The aluminium frame is supposed to be really stiff. but even in my weight category of 170, its just a matter of getting used to it. I changed my gripshifts for XT rapidfires, other than this the components suit my style of riding to a t, and the paintwork finish is superb. Bunnyhops become so easy compared to older, heavier bikes I have ridden. here is the final word. Oxygen race makes me ride like I am a kid again - even riding to the corner store makes me want to jump pavement, speed humps, fences etc - thanks rocky mountain.

Mike   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2000]
Strength:

Light frame, decent mix of Shimano and brand name components such as Marzocchi and Avid. Tires are good too but a bit aggressive for city trail riding.

Shock should be a Z3 light or long travel. Brakes are a bit weak but effective with a lot of pull.

So far the bike is performing well. I haven't experienced the so called "chain suck" that others have (yet). Hopefully it continues to perform as well as it currently is.

I think adventually if I have any money to spend on it, I'll change my stem and bar. I prefer a riser.

Otherwise, this bike is a charm. Welding craftsmanship is of the highest quality for the impecable buyer.

In all, I recommend this bike for a novice to weekend small event rider like myself. The bike is light and very agile. Rocky builds great Canadian bikes.. even for East coast riders eh!

Kurt   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 15, 1999]
Strength:

'97!The bike is extremely light and handles like its on rails. The finish on the paint is prime, but the decals are weak.

Freakin Chain suck! Every one complains about the horrible chain suck on these bikes

Smokin' ride with a little tweakin!

Similar Products Used: Specialized stumpjumper, S works, FSR, Kona.
Wade Ingledew   Cross-Country Rider [May 17, 1999]
Strength:

Light, quick and maneoverable

Stock seatpost, handlebar, chainrings are weak and easily bent.
Severe chainsuck problems have plagued this bike since the first ride.

Something about the crank, bottombracket and chainstay setup seems to invite chainsuck like no other bike. Some stock parts are unacceptable for normal and large size riders (strength-wise). The bike does ride nicely though...,

Similar Products Used: Kona, Cannondale, Schwinn
Stew the Mountain Man   cross-country rider [Oct 15, 1998]

Got the Oxygen (the color is mango, by the way)this spring, and I have raced it in six races, road and trail ridden it about 2000km over the summer and fall. It is one stable ride. It climbs like a demon, flies down hills, and best of all, in very technical riding it is amazing. Tons of standover clearance, very light front end, and usually both wheels are just glued to the trail, whether it is rock, root or dirt. I put my '96 Z2s on the front (heavyish but plush). I put a Race Face crank, rings and headset on the bike. Pedals are Time ATAC carbon (the best!). Stock brakes are Avid 2.0, gears are ESP 9.0 (fickle but great when they work) with gripshift. I changed the handlebars and seatpost to Easton CT2, which rock! Oh yeah, I changed the stem to a Syncros hinged, and the bike handles even better with this shorter, flatter stem than the stock Ritchey. The seat is a fizik Pave (road seat).The standard tires are WTB velociraptor, and they were excellent. I'm now using either Bontrager SS (excellent) or Specialized Dirt Control (awesome when it's too gross for slicks).So I guess about half the bike isn't stock anymore, but the geometry of the frame is just awesome. Road riding gets a little uncomfortable after 40km, but then it's not a road bike.The stock chain sucked (literally and figuratively) and ended my race after 9km on a nasty uphill at Mont Ste. Anne. Replaced it with a Sachs PC-91, and have had no problems since. I'll keep this bike, for a long time. It's too good now to sell!5 chilies for this hot dog!

J.R.C.W   racer [Sep 03, 1998]

This bike kicks a@# .I swear if you are thinking of buying a new bike this is the one. This bike is light durable and very fast, trust me. I have had a cuple of minor problems,but what I put my bikes through I am just suprised it hasn't left me stranded.This bike is so nice,once I rode this bike I had to buy it. It has better performance and a chepper price than anything in it's class. A perfect rating for this one.

Martin Dudemaine   cross-country rider [Aug 05, 1998]

Very well designed bike! For the past 8 years I was riding my good old Rocky Mountain Fusion, which is still an excellent bike. But now with my brand new Oxygen Race, I feel 10 years younger! It's light, responsive, and it climbs like crazy. The only cloud in that otherwise clear blue sky was that nasty chain suck on my very second ride. It stuck in so tight that I had to walk back and remove the crank to release the chain. I then had to change the lower chain ring which bent badly, and one chain link. I installed one of those small chain-suck plates to avoid this from happening again and everything has been fine since. I highly recommend the chain-suck plate; because when it sucks, it sucks! Otherwise, 3 cheers for Rocky Mountain! You make great bikes!