Rocky Mountain Element Bike 1998 or Older

Rocky Mountain Element

Steve Hood   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2003]
Strength:

Overall suspension design has held up over time, very light, unique on the trail, durable.

I own a 1998 model Element T.O. I purchased this bike quite some time ago when full-suspension bikes were a bit more rare than they are today. During this time I have done quite a bit of riding (3-4 times weekly and weekend trips), and have to say the Rocky has served me well. While it is true that full-suspension bikes have come down in price, I don-t see that any revelations have happened in design. For the money the lightness of the Rocky frames coupled with the durability makes them a real bargain. Early on I had an issue with the bolts backing out where the chainstays attach behind the bottom bracket. Every interaction I've had with contacting Rocky Mountain for support has been timely and a positive experience. I'm sure this would make a great race bike, but admittedly my riding has been recreational. The suspension adjustments make a huge difference in ride characteristics, especially in the mountains. When you first get the bike it pays to tinker quite a bit in the beginning with the settings. Having taken quite some time to finally post a review, I have to say the bike is everything and more than I expected.

Similar Products Used: none
Tom   Cross Country Rider [Oct 08, 2005]
Strength:

Here I am, 8 yrs later, still using the bike to push my limits and have my fun. By now only two thins are still orginal stock: the front triangle, and the rear LX V-brake. Fork, wheels, suspension shock, drivetrain have all been evolved once or more than once. Still the basic personality of the bike remains.

Climbing: lightweight, No bobbing if you're seated and have even cadence. Weaves through singletrack crisply.

My biggest beef if rear suspension lockout with hard braking.

Tough, tough, tough! Awesome light (depending on component specs) sled for XC and light All-Mountain rides. Newer suspension on some bikes performs better on downhill braking and in the pedal bob department, but those are only minor changes when you put them into perspective on the whole ride. I've been able to hang with or surpass riders on much newer, techier bikes; so the new technology probably only adds 5-10% to your overall riding experience. If you can get a good deal on a Rocky, GO FOR IT. Then just get out and RIDE, and don't look back. This is one excellent rig.

Stef.   cross-country rider [Sep 18, 1998]

I bought my Element Race in May'98 and put some serious miles on up to now. The handling of the bike is excellent, a real dream on technical singletrack. Front and rear suspension work nicely together (sod Tango). The rear doesn't pump too much on uphills. The Marzocchi Z3 is a real smooth nice fork, although I blew the seals twice already. I changed the shifters to XT and the wheels to XT/Mavic X517. The shifter cables stuck after the first ride in mud. Goretex cables solved the problem. Unfortunatly there are no mounts for disk brakes neither on the fork nor at the rear. And I would love to upgrade to Magura Louise brakes.
Conclusion: Excellent bike, nice welds, I would give it more than five chilis if I could.
BTW never got any reply from Rocky Mountain to some technical Questions. Why do they have a mail address when they don't reply

dave   cross-country rider [Sep 23, 1998]

This is in response to an e-mail I got from steve-couldn't send and e-mail to you.Hey!I have had no problem what so ever with anything on my bike. I have done a tonne of riding, 3 24hr races, 5 ontario cup races and ride 3-4 times a week for 4 months. You are about the same size as me I'M 6'2-220lbs-old meat-head hockey player. I have 3 freinds that have the exact same bike the only problem has been a broken LX shifter. I'm not overly impressed with the bushings in lew of what I've heard but my freinds and I have had no problems. Remember when you buy a full suspension bike that bikes that look like bikes work best. 2 A frames opposed to Y frames is where its at. I've riden many F/S bike and have found this bike to work the best for me, but Santa Cruz Tazmons are pretty hot as well, Anyhow, good luck happy trails and yadda yadda yadda....
Dave

Rockey Clark   weekend warrior [Jul 17, 1997]

The Element has been a weekend warriors dream come true. This beast has superior components and what can be said about that hand built Canadian frame, (Yankee builders should take note). I hammer it hard and it begg's for more.

Steven C.   downhiller [Oct 26, 1997]

I just got a '98 Rocky Mountain Element DH T.O. for an incredible low price with a sweet DH setup. The bike handles all the rough shit I through at it. The geometry is perfect and is built like a tank but rides like a porsche. Nice work guys.

John   weekend warrior [Oct 19, 1997]

I have recently purchased a '98 Element Race and am extremely happy with the performance of this machine. The Z3 Bombers soak up everything I throw at them and the Fox rear has yet to bottom out, but I did have to upgrade the spring to a 550 for my weight of 182 lbs. Running both cross country and downhill this bike has given new meaning to FS! Highly recommended for serious Canadian-made fun at a reasonable price! I give it a High five Chilis!

jonathan stackhouse   Downhiller [Mar 30, 2001]
Strength:

the rear suspension is definatly the strength of this bike
I have been off 6.5-7 footers and the rear is just fine it feels like it has a good 1-2 more inches in the back then it actualy does

the only weakness that could pose a problem is that the head tube welds could be a bit weak for the more nutty riders but it hasnt been a problem for me yet so i would have to say that the bike hase no weakness

this bike is good for anyone if you like the xc riding keep
it stock and go nuts or put some longer travel forks on some
fat rims and tires and some dh bars and go race downhill with you friends on their rm9's either way you go this is a great bike and rides super smoooth and thats the bottom line.

Similar Products Used: trek y 3, giant warp,gti drive
Bert van den Hil   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2000]
Strength:

See my description right under this one

The way of cable guiding to the rear derailleur, the chance for gost-shifting is to big.

With all these new components the bike is a lot faster then it used to be.
It weighs less then 24 lbs! Maybe you don't think that's very special, allright. But this weight is realized with a coil over shock rear suspension and an suspension fork which also work with a coil. When I use a sid I will have less performance. But it cost me now 1.4 lbs. unfortunately but performance is more important then weight.

Bert   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 17, 1999]
Strength:

Where do I have to start? This bike is just a dream! Everything is alright, its plushy its efficient despite the coil-over-schock its still very light and just beautiful! The fully active design give you advantages in the downhill and a more consistent ride. Even the bearings are an advantage in my opinion, just because there are much lighter than other kind of bearings on similar bikes. Yes, I know, you can´t guarantee them for a lifetime but when you take care of them so now and then and clean them regularly they will not let you down.
The bike is very good on bumpy tracks and even excellent on climbs.

I´m still looking for them....

A highly recommendable bike!

Similar Products Used: Cannondale SuperV, Trek VRX, Cycle Craft CSX05.