Rocky Mountain Cardiac Bike 1998 or Older

Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Travis   Downhiller [Aug 18, 2000]
Strength:

A good solid bike. The cro moly frame makes a stirty bike. Smooth.

Hard on the wrists when you go down techical trails. Can't replace rigid fork with AWESOME forks.

It's a god bike but I don't necissarily reccomend it for the hardcore rider. I have the santa cruz heckler. now theres a kickass bike!

jeremy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2000]
Strength:

light, precise shifting, very forgiving
a real pleasure to ride

Relatively new to mountain biking. Only had Canadian Tire Supercycles(real pieces if cra),to compare my Cardiac to.
But even so, WOW! I love this bike. Riding is a real pleasure.
I should add that this bike is second hand. It has upgraded brakes and Shimano xt gears. I paid $400 for it at a local bike shop. They even told me they would give me $300 to $400
when I'm done with it.
I'm no pro but I know a superior product.
Rocky Mountain rules.

Y-US Rider   Weekend Warrior [Mar 26, 1999]
Strength:

Canadian made
Good value

poor component

I missed my 1996 Cardiac! Anybody who owned one should keep it and buy another bike, but not sell or trade this one. I now owned a Gary Fisher Joshua X-0 (sold the Cardiac for $500), but I still think that the Cardiac was a better bike. It was a good single track bike, it climbs well and for the $$$$, you can't beat it. My only problem with this bike was that the handling seems to be squirrelly on a fast single track. You need to be very technical in order to control the flow. Overall, It was an excellent bike! I give this one a 5+!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock
Rocky Mountain Fusion
Champ   racer [Dec 27, 1998]

I have had my cardiac since '96 and have put suspension, clipless pedals, v-brakes and many other upgrades on it. It rides like a bike that is much more than this one cost. I have put this bike through hell and back, without a complaint, no dents, just scratches. In races, I have beat many people on $3000 dollar bikes, they no longer look at me like I am a looser because of my bike. They know I will kick their asses on the course. But alas, it is time for the trusty Cardiac to retire, as I will buy a Blizzard tomorow. Now that is one fine bike. I would recommend the Cardiac to any one who wants a decent bike that can take whatever the hell crap you put it through.

Keith Whitham   weekend warrior [Oct 23, 1998]

Has completely outperformed my expectations. Paid less than $700 for this bike including tax, and have never had a minute's trouble with it. I mean nothing. It's had regualr maintenance and that's it. No complaints.This bike is solid as as rock, down to the paint job. I can take this thing over brutal terrain without any worries. I've been riding this bike since it first came out (without shocks) and it's bombproof. Great performance from my STX components and absolutely no issue with Alivio. New buyers, don't be fooled into thinking you need the very best of everything. This is an excellent bike for the money. I'd recommend it to any beginner rider, but if you think you'll do even moderote off-road stuff - get the shocks! If you're planning on buying a Fusion, why not get this bike instead, save yoursself some money, and upgrade in a few years? Don't know how much real difference in performance you're going to see. Maybe somebody has an opinion.That being said, not sure that you can expect the podium with this bike. I'm thinking of getting into racing so I may upgrade soon (the whole thing), but for everyone out there, just remember that for the most part, it's the rider not the equipment!

Matt   racer [Aug 20, 1998]

This bike is the best bike you can get for the money, cheap and light for a lower end bike, it's a good bike to start out on becouse if you crash on a tricky single track all you have to worry about is YOURSELF becouse rocky mountain makes VERY GOOD BIKES. but if you are a better rider you may want to upgrade to a shock and clipless pedals becouse clips and rigid are not the best, but for beginners it is a good bike.

dan howard   cross-country rider [Aug 29, 1998]

This tore up the f*cking course. It's so amazing for it price. The only thing I can complain about are the shocks. So I decided tp upgrade them to judy t2's. I give this bike five flame broiled chillies. I only had to shell out 8oo$ bucks (cdn.) Fortyeight fortynine fifty.

andy lam   weekend warrior [Mar 10, 1998]

this is my first mountain bike, so i don't really have anything else to compare it to. but i know quality when i see it. entry level was what i was going for, with the ability to thrash it around without worrying about it. compared it with three or four other brands comparative models, and nothing could match it for quality and value. hand built wheels (my front and rear wheels were built by two different people) complete with personal signatures. and the bike comes with a quality control card with signatures of the people as they complete each stage of construction. nice touch. components are smooth. very happy with my purchase, and the shop i bought it from in downtown toronto. rocky mountain, mmmm yummy. (and built in canada) good stuff.

Matt Schweigert   cross-country rider [Mar 01, 1998]

I am a true Bum, meaning i do not think that one must spend their live savingson a bike to really rip and
see the light.The Cardiac is a sweet deal for the guy who wants to have some money left over for the
Kraft diners.It rides like a true singletrack machine should and at a very reasonable price.Only one
complaint and future upgrade I will make, the Alivio front derailleur is only adequate at best.However I
had this bike for a year now and I love it, and I will continue to kick some poser butt on it while they
attempt to ride their $3,000 bike.

jeff ward   [Feb 06, 2001]
Strength:

This is still my first mountain bike, 1998 rocky mountain cardiac. I bought in late september and I am still driving it, Feb 6. I really have put alot of miles on this bike without one technical problem. I have upgraded a little, judy rock shox etc. I plan to ride it through the summer and see what happens. It has taken winter riding with no winterization, I mean the bike is solid.

If you are ready to become a 4 to 5 or maybe an every day rider this bike will never let you down. It isnt for the extreme downhill mountain biking but for the cross country tracks, and daily commutes to work it is the best bang for your buck!