Ritchey Ultra Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Ritchey Team

Elizabeth J.   Weekend Warrior [Feb 16, 2006]
Strength:

It's got to be the frame. I weighed mine and the scale says "25 lbs". I know it should be lighter than that. I added the Mr. Tuffy kevlar tire liner under my Ritchey Z-Max tires. That's where the extra weight came from.

Although Ritchey bikes are great quality bikes, there's not many dealerships that sell them due to it being so expensive.

I've had the bike for more than 5 years and the thought of selling my Ritchey Ultra never crossed my mind.

Similar Products Used: 1993 Grizzly
Tony Scheller   weekend warrior [Jan 08, 1997]

I bought my Ritchey Ascent Comp a little over six years ago. I order my Ritchey
from a bike shop in Los Gatos(Known as the town of the Cats).The bike shop was
Velmeister,although it is no longer there because of the `89 quake of northern
California.My Ritchey is fully equiped with Deore XT, weighing about 26 lbs.
The last few years I put my Ritcey on a diet. I replace my saddle,seatpost,stem,
titanium skewers,bars,and Kevalar tires. These changes made my wallet light as well
as my bike. This bike lives up to its name, it assent extremely well. After all the
the modification the bike came in at weighining 22.2 lbs.

Kristen Malaba   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2000]
Strength:

Light, fast, built to last

Expensive and warranty problems

Great bike. Only wish the company would warranty it like they promise. Expensive for what you get, but it is light.

Five chillies in performance, one off for expensive, one more off for warranty problems

Jared   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 1999]
Strength:

liteweight
chromoly
beautiful

Awesome bike that i have thouroughly enjoyed. Only wish I had more time to ride. Climbs like a champ. Switched the rear to Ritchey speedmax, bike became faster without mush loss of grip. Highly recommended ( I bvelieve they have new versions out there, but a Ritcheys a Ritchey).

Similar Products Used: Specialized
Kane   weekend warrior [Dec 02, 1998]

I bought my Ritchey Comp, circa 1996 barely used for about 1300. With a full XTR groupo, Judy XC, Ringle Hubs, King Headset it weighs in at about 23 lbs with a full water bottle. This bike handles so much better than my Fisher or my Bridgestone MB1 (to be fair this frame was one size to big for me). Save your money and buy from the original master. Tom Ritchey has the touch!

The Dude with an attitude!!!!!   cross-country rider [Sep 02, 1998]

This bike is EXTREMELY light, especially for one made out of Chro-moly. It is very responsive on the trail, it climbs very good and decends O.K. The price maybe high for some folks (i.e. Simon from Virgina, listed below) but when you consider that you have a handbuilt bike from a small custom shop, the price is understandable. If the price still bothers you, go buy a high production bike/frame from some company that is having their built overseas, I'll stick with my Ritchey! 5 BIG stars!!!!!!

Blair Foust   cross-country rider [Jun 30, 1997]

I recently bought a Ritchey p-21 to replace my cannondale. It cost a bundle but is
well worth it. It is very light, especially for a chromoly frame. It handles very well in almost all situations.
The Ritchey parts are light, affordable and good looking, (at least thats what I say to the girl on the corner).
But the greast part of ot is the frame. It feels like it is alive beneath you. Twelve hundred is a lot for any frame,
especially a chromoly one, it will provide you with years of happy riding.

Chris McKenney   racer [Feb 13, 1997]

I've been riding a Ritchey P-21 for the past year and it's a great ride for XC racing. Responds to every rider input, very smooth and supple, and climbs on rails. Mine is a team issue bike, all Ritchey parts (and XT), 23 lbs with a Judy XC. If you're thinking about a high end ride, take a good look if you're a smooth rider. Ride one and you'll see why Tom's riders do so well at the races.

Jeff Gittleson   weekend warrior [Jun 21, 1996]

I bought this bike over 5 years ago, back in October of '89. This bike was awesome right out of the box. Of course, back then, suspension wasn't out yet so this bike had rigid forks. The bike came with top notch components and handled great. Stable, balanced handling allowed both single track and fire- road fun. I did break the frame after 3 years (I ride really hard)(broke at the headset and downtube) but Ritchey rewelded in a new downtube of his latest hot tubing and fillet brazed both ends of the tube, as well as filled in all the gouges on the chainstays from chain suck and slap. I did have to pay $100 to get the frame, and my fork repainted and stickered thought. Turnaround time was 3 weeks. ...not bad. Oh, I got a Ritchey shirt back with my frame. neat-o! The frame looked brand spankin' new when I got it back. Thanks Tom. (Tom does the repair work himself). I recommend any Ritchey as a great bike. The bike will do everything, even climb hills like it has rear suspension. Weight is fairly reasonalble (mine was 27 lbs, but his new bikes are around 23 lbs.) If it's a hardtail you want, test ride a Ritchey.

Roarc   cross-country rider [Feb 27, 1999]

I got my Ritchey Softtail a while ago, and I still love it. It came with the normal super light build, SRAM 9.0 shifters, King wheels on Mavic rims and Logic spokes, Judy Sl, Syncros stem, XTR this and that, and Logic this and that. This has got to be one of the best bikes that i ever ridden, not just owned. I came close to geting a Moots but I am a steel lover at heart so I got the Ritchey because he makes the best steel rides around...also because he is local. The bike is light (22.75lb or so maybe less by now) and the ride just has to be experienced because even any discription woulden't do it justice. It it nice on the backside, climbes like a dream, and carves the trail like it's on rails The only real complant that I have is that I am experiencing some tolerance problems with the rear end but I'm sure they can easly fix it...i think it's just a spacer problem and is likly to be an isolated incedent that comes with the custom bike territory. Now all I have to do is actually get off the damn bike to get it fixed. It's more of a annoyance and performance wise I don't think it is a problem. Other than that, this bike has been a dream. If you get a chance to get your hands on one, take it.