Raleigh technium Bike 1998 or Older

Raleigh technium Bike 1998 or Older

raleigh technium

[Jun 09, 2007]
Tom

Strength:

Durable do it all bike - meaning that it does everything well, but nothing exceptionally well.

Bought new in 1990 and other than cables, tires, seat, etc., its still my go-to ride.

[Dec 28, 2006]
Paul Whitcomb

Strength:

Durability, smooth ride

Not quite as responsive as a butted chrome-moly frame.

I bought this 1989 entry-level "Pre" in 1990 and have been riding it ever since. I have steadily upgraded the components till 2 years ago, when I finished it. This is a durable, quick and smooth-riding frame that has been through three accidents with no ill-effect.

Raliegh Grand Prix, Raleigh Super Course.

[Jan 14, 2000]
Mike

Strength:

Great bike! Have had for several years and have had 0 problems. The frame is a little heavier than average bike in price range, but lasting quality makes up for that. A used one would make a great buy!

weight of bike is a little heavier than average. If looking for light bike, look elsewhere.

Definitely recommend it.

[Jan 08, 2003]
kashmerebilly

Strength:

It's been upgraded many times from it's original setup but this is a great bike. I've put more than 50,000 miles on this bike. It's been all over idaho & southern utah.

initial stock components didn't last long. I upgraded right away.

This is a great bike I've had this bike for a while now. I've gone through several other bikes but I always go back to this bike.

[Mar 17, 2008]
Keven

Strength:

Built like a tank. I bought this bike new in 1990 after some chick in a VW punted me 4 lanes on my Nishiki. Now, 18 years later, my Raleigh has been a jack of all trades: Seven GOBAs (350 mile tours of Ohio), Oakland Fire Trails, Los Gatos Single Tracks, Ohio Toepaths and commutes to work. Other than the typical flat tire (that's you Lake Elizabeth in Fremont, CA) this bike has been problem free, other than normal useage issues. Even after hiting numerous potholes, the rims are as true as day one. And cosmetically, the speckled teal paint job is very cool.

By today's standard's, this is a heavy bike. Mine weighs 37 pounds. And although Biopace looks good on paper, I'm not sure it adds value in real life, but not really a weakness.

When you amortize the original cost and repair expenses over 18 years, this has been an outstanding value. It's hard to let go of something you've enjoyed that long, but I've only got room for one 26" bike (and second wheelset) and an aluminum bike in inevitable. However, if a few extra pounds and lack of a suspension fork are not deal breakers, you'd be very happy with a Raleigh Technium.

I just rented an aluminum Jamis with a suspension fork. Pretty nice, but not an apples to apples comparison.