Raleigh M60 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Raleigh M60

lallen1407   Downhiller [Jun 30, 2009]
Strength:

Everything about this bike is awesome! Originally got ten years ago, put a ton of money into it making it my own "custom" ride and still am riding it.

Nothing

It recently got stolen from my Boston Apt, but i love it so much i tracked the scum down and got it back. I will ride it until it breaks in half.

akoho   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2009]

such a great price when purchased. Rode this bike for thousands of miles over the years and now must retire it. Light weight ensured ease in climbs. It handled everything from summer ski slopes to cruisin through the soft redwood singletracks. my first bike love

steve   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2007]
Strength:

Durability man! The frame has withstood YEARS of hard, fast riding.

Had to upgrade wheels, handle bar, and brakes. Otherwise very solid.

I've ridden this bike now for 11 years! I've demolished wheels, thrashed tires and been through numerous hurricane seasons, but still this bike keeps moving forward. Currently waiting to be re painted and converted to a single speed for my wife. I know these bikes are longer thought of, but i had to write a review, i had to give some luv to the ol' Raleigh M60. So all you M60 riders keep on rollin',

Similar Products Used: Haro MTB from 1990
Davy Wavy   Racer [May 01, 2006]
Strength:

Solid all arounder bike. Upgraded all parts and I have about $1200 in upgrades into this bike. I like the frame and am using the bike currently in MTB racing in TX. I came in 6th overall last season on her. Light, front suspension only.

Hard time finding a fork with a long enough head tube for this bike. Geometry is close to a road bike.

Great bike. Took me all over Texas racing, Moab, Colorado and back. Great climber. Able to climb and descend with the best of 'em. I love my bike! I even prefer it over my newer $4000 Stumpjumper!

Similar Products Used: '04 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 30th anniversary edition
Ben Hollick   weekend warrior [Jul 25, 1997]

This is a review of the M-80, pretty much the same bike except with STX FD and
STX-RC RD. I just bought this '97 for 500 out the door and love it. Of course
I have to ride it more and see how it holds up especially with a Q5 front shock.
But I will post a new review if the bike goes bad.

Dave   cross-country rider [Jul 12, 1997]

Since there are no sections for the M200 (an M60 in aluminum), I'll share my thoughts here. I looked at everything, Trek, GT, Specialized, Ficher, Canonndale, etc. No one could offer the same value. I grabbed mine for $429 at Cycles, etc in Salem, NH. The ike is great, with two exceptions: 1. front brake squeal ( the shop is working w/ Shimano on this), and 2. I get an occasional chain skip. Once we find the offending link, that should resolve itself.....
This bike is truly an excellent value (as was that first Raleigh with the monkey bars 15 years ago). I weigh 210 on a good week, and the bike feels solid. Also, the aluminum frame offsets about 2 lbs of the M60's weight issues.
For what it's worth, I also found the LBS, Cycles etc to be willing to answer a bazillion questions, and go the extra distance.5 chilis here.

Grant Morris   cross-country rider [Jul 14, 1997]

This was the first bike I bought since I was in grade school. I used it on trails and soon found out that it wasn't enough bike for me. It's a good bike to do light trail riding. It is a good value, but for anyone who thinks they might want to really get into the sport, you may want to look elsewhere.

Charles   weekend warrior [Oct 27, 1997]

I bought an M-80 as a starter bike. That is exactly what it is. The quality is impeccable and sturdy, nut man is this thing heavy! Good components, however it is somewhat limited by the Quadra 5 shock. The '98 is much better, has a 24 spd system, indy series shock and v-brakes straight out of the factory! This is a whole different bike, oh yeah, it's in aluminum now too, which helps the weight problem. ANyone starting out, go for it, if your looking for higher end stuff, look at the m-400 and up from raleigh.

steph   [Apr 30, 2000]

Trying to buy a solid bike, for my first major bike. Dont need anything fancy just something worth my dollaz. Local bike shop is selling M60 for $470. Is it worth the money?

parker   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 24, 1999]
Strength:

never broke, ever

none, its about a 400$ bike, its gunna weigh alot

the stx shifts better than my deore, its more of a back up/ friend that wants to go along bike, i beat it, it never broke, had to replace front wheel(beat it), its a good entry level bike, but for any mountian stuff, get something with v brakes.