Raleigh M50 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Raleigh M50

[Aug 03, 2012]
Rob Washkevich
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Strong frame, great ride, durable

factory components, nothing else

I bought this bike new in the summer of 1998 from Broadway bikes in Fells Point Baltimore Maryland. I knew little about mountain biking. Strangely I went to many bike shops and test rides before ending up with my M50. What a great bike. I've upgraded about all the components and fork over the last 14 years. I've put a lot of miles on this bike and it never lets me down. I love the ride and I feel comfortable on this bike. I cannot find this on other bikes. I'm a large man at 6'5" and over 350 lbs. The M50 still handles its business on the trails. I've had some wrecks. Even had to have the chromoly frame welded 2 different times by professional welders. Still I wouldn't trade this baby for anything. I think I will just ride this bike forever.

[Mar 28, 2012]
serious rider

Strength:

all

I ride a 1998 raleigh m50 with a 22inch frame made of chromoly. I bought it new in 1998 and I still ride it today. I have been hit by cars and had numerous other accidents over the years on this bike and still ride it now. yes I have had to change tires and inner tubes over the years but I ride an average of 70 miles a day in city traffic. I have upgraded parts on the bike over the years and now it's worth a lot more then what I paid for it at the time of purchase. I am 6' 3" tall and weighed 320lbs at the time of purchase. I now weigh 240lbs and still ride daily. In 2005 I had a accident unrelated to cycling and broke my neck. I became a quadraplegic and was told I would never walk again. I was determined to prove the doctors wrong so, I worked hard in rehab and walked out of the the hospital on a walker. I bought a training stand a put my m50 on it and rode for hours every day. 2 years later I felt strong enough and with my doctors permission I began slowly riding on local trails and in a short amount of time I started riding the streets again and now I am back to riding at least 45miles a day and getting stronger. My m50 is heavy but it was bought to accomadate 320lbs. I also have a all alluminum trek that is a lot lighter but I am afraid to ride on all terrains like my raleigh because of my weight. I am afraid I will snap the frame. This is not a concern with my much heavier raleigh m50. Over-all I LOVE MY M-50 "ANGUS" is his name. Because it is a bull, powerful and un-yielding. I have had it 14years and counting. I now live in Fort Wayne Indiana, the streets are really hilly hear and "ANGUS" takes me all over with no problem. I ride it everyday and would never sell or get rid of it. If you are a serious rider I would suggest that you buy a raleigh m50 because in my experience this is a very good value. I have rode Schwin, GT and Trek (all good bikes) but none compare to my american made raleigh m50.

gt, trek and schwin mountain bikes

[Mar 24, 2012]
Reynaldo T

Strength:

All

Original "Made in USA" Raleigh M50. Purchased on August 29, 1993. Over 80,000 miles! I'm 67 and continue to ride an average of 35 miles daily, 5 days a week. The secret is routine weekly cleaning and maintenance. The down side ... cosmetic scratches from using my bike maintenance stand and various car carriers. Oh, I've taken a few headers over the years as well.

[Feb 23, 2012]
wayne

Strength:

everything

having lived in the white mountains of New Hampshire I used the bike on some challenging trails, it never let me down, even after some rough handling, now i"m in florida [no mountains ] I turned it into a hybrid, have done thousands of miles and STILL no problems i"ve put new chain cassette , tires ,seats,and handgrips, have just upgraded to road bike, one of the best buys I:ll ever have.

[Mar 07, 2011]
paul

Strength:

ride was lika fine car but it weighed a ton.

weight

RIP- stolen 8/31/2011.

specialized roadhog

[Nov 07, 2010]
egerm

Strength:

EVERYTHING

After about 14 years it's time to fix the whole bike.
I need to fix the gears, the brakes, it squeaks.
But I am 25 and have had this bike since 7th grade.
And I am someone that you don't give nice things to.. because I don't treat my material things like pets.
This bike has been left outside countless times, thrown on the ground, beaten up and locked away in a basement for like a year or two with grime all over it.

My bike is part of my body.
I am killer awesome on my bike and suck on any one else's.
When I lived in western ma I would ride from Holyoke to Northampton for work. Last year I would ride from North Cambridge to Charles St in Boston.. even through snow.

BEST BIKE EVER.

Nothing

[Sep 27, 2008]
Aardvark

Strength:

It is Durable. I have been riding my M50 for 15 years now, since April 1993 and just had a major overhaul done with new sprockets, chain and spokes. I have had new tires and brakes but it took 15 years to wear down the major components. I am mostly on the road now but in the past I did a lot of off-road cycling with it.

An excellent all terrain bicycle.

[Mar 05, 2007]
G

I bought this bike specifically to ride to and from work (about a 5 mile ride each way). I have put over 1000 miles on it every year since i bought it. The only problems i have had is the seat has worn out and the rear sprockets are worn. These problems i have only notice over the last year. I love this bike and dont plan on replacing it any time soon.

[Nov 09, 2001]
Pete

Strength:

the bike has good handling and shifting. It shifts better then any bike I have ever had. It is also very durable

the handle bars are a little easy to rust because of the material. I would prefer a more durable brand.

This is one of the best bikes I have ever rode. Myself and any body else that has ridden it agree that it is a very nice bike. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am a 14 year old male and this bike is perfect for me

[Jul 13, 1997]
Lynnette
weekend warrior

The M-50 is a great bike! I just got mine and I've had a chance to do some light downhilling and trail riding. the shifting was easy and the steering was good. I intend to try some beginers racing events and will update my report.

Many Thanks for a quality product at a fair price!!!