Raleigh M400 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

M400 Bike

Raleigh M400 Bike

E. Ross   Weekend Warrior [Sep 28, 2017]
Strength:

Frame strength to weight is awesome, Frame geometry for a taller rider is great.

Original rims and brakes were not the best

I have owned mine for over 20 years now. I have upgraded just about everything on it over the years, starting with the rims and brakes. I had some issues with the original rims staying true after riding trails for long periods, but after replacing them, I have had nothing but good things to say about this bike. I have ridden many other bikes over the years, including "top of the line" dual suspension bikes, and have never found another bike that I was more comfortable on, either on trails or just riding around town. I am 6' 2" and the geometry of this bike just fits great. The frame is light weight, but super durable and is amazingly responsive on the trails. When I first bought it, it was a big deal to spend as much as i did on it, being a college kid with an under paying job. It wasn't even the most expensive bike in the shop. After college, when I could afford something "better", I started looking for something new to replace it with. All these years later, I still haven't found that better bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Gary Fischer, Cannondale, GT among others
tom caruso   Cross Country Rider [Mar 24, 2017]
Strength:

great frame, classic style. tough as nails. ride hard and put away wet.

none, but I would prefer bigger tires. I do a lot of long straight riding. sometimes 20 miles or more. sometimes I use my old univega safari. 22 inch steel frame, its a horse, but cranks out the miles effortlesly

I love this bike, it reminds me of my gary fisher aquila that got stolen. the raliegh has no suspension. I like to feel the trail. this bike has 'no problem steering through anything I put it too. I wouldnt trade it for any new bike. your imagination is the limit for upgrading this bike. I plan do a lot of revamps on this beauty. I want to try 27.5 wheels. I dont know how to fit the brakes though. I have 'been a life long elevator mechanic. have only done minor repairs on bikes. but im sure I can figure out the upgrades i want..I also have a raliegh 1988 technium street bike that has been sitting in the basement since 92. I want to break that out this summer and fix it up, its another raleigh classic. I am 59, when I was a boy every kid dreamed of getting a raliegh. back then they they were 3 speed road bikes. but timeless classics

Similar Products Used: gary fisher aquilla. specializes hybrid. marin hybrid, raleigh technium. specialized rock hopper
Pat Diewold   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2014]
Strength:

love the frame

rims forks pretty much cheap components

had bike sunce '99. replaced pretty much every component except cranks. It's now pretty mucj a rock star. Replaced drab decals with Standard byke co. ones. Looks like hybrid bmx-mtb! single frontgear with chain tensioners. Don't be afraid to customize this timeless classic.I still love mine after all these years!

Day rider   Weekend Warrior [Nov 08, 2009]
Strength:

Durability

seat, forks and tires

Ever since I got this bike I have been real happy! The person that sold it was not too bright. This bike is a CLASSIC! This bike (frame)has stood the test of time. Anyone who has this bike should continue to ride it with pride. I have two other bikes and they have taken a back seat to this great machine. I was told to look for another bike instead of working with this one. The same person who told me that is the one who is now lookng for a new ride. Raleigh should do a throw back version of the M400.

Joe Babcock   Weekend Warrior [Mar 01, 2002]
Strength:

Value, Frame

Seat, Fork, Brakes

I bought this bike to ride because of the price. Had a Raleigh when I was just a brat. Liked that bike. When I decided to buy a new bike I knew that most of my riding would be on the street. My favorite place to ride is the local High School. Love those steps! Anyway I'm the guy who can't leave anything alone, so I knew that I'd be up-grading. The frame was real important to me. Needed to be solid, weight wasn't the main consideration because I wasn't going to be racing. Just playing and breaking ribs! So I found this bike and got what I thought was a good deal. Have since rode it pretty hard. Have replaced the weak stuff and love it. One of these days I'm going to replace the wheels. I did once, bought some wheels from Super Dooper something, Sunrims, LX hubs, the hubs are great, wheels suck, won't stay true. Best upgrade? That Terry seat, "if yer hurtin, ya won't be havin fun". That seat came off of my road bike, great seat. Also the shock, is there a better shock beside Marzocchi? This bike is a blast to ride on the road. You know who should buy this bike? People who like to upgrade. Buy a bike with a good frame. Lots of cheaper bikes, by all of the bike makers use frames that are used in their upper end stuff. Look around, except for paint schemes, there's no difference. Then build it to your liking.
See ya...

Similar Products Used: Lots of em
Barnabas Bowler   Weekend Warrior [Jan 08, 2002]
Strength:

Good body and shocks

bad brakes

the bottom line is that i have had ridden many types of bycycles and raleigh is still top on my list

Similar Products Used: raleigh m 600
Diel Rojas   weekend warrior [Sep 21, 1998]

I've had my M400 for about two months now and put about 200 miles on it with no major problems. I've taking the rims back to the shop 3 times to get them trued but I guess that's what happens when you are 6'1 and 210 lbs and try bunny-hopping anything in sight. I bought a 97 for $495, which I still think is a good deal. I am going to change the seat post and wheels as soon as I can get enough together for some spinergy rims and Ti post. I have endoed the bike twice with no damage, so as far as I am concerned, it passed the test. Give this bike a try, you won't be disappointed.

Eric Gilkison   Downhiller [May 03, 2001]
Strength:

Very solid bike. Have not needed to change much on it.

The stock seat and rims are junk. The rear rim is slowly but surly falling apart. I have been trying for the last few years to keep it together.

The bottom line is this. Doc said I got to keep my leg strengh up with out impact. Like swimming or riding a bike, or I would have arthritis by the age of 30. So I looked and asked around, and finaly settled on an m400. Ive been rideing it for about 3 years and am getting better and better at it. I can't wait untill my shop buddies build me a new rear rim so I can go romp again. It could be a little lighter but, I'm happy.

Similar Products Used: BMX bought from Sears when I was little.
Al G   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2000]
Strength:

Frame Geometry

Some stock components lame

Bought this puppy at end of year clearance for $400.(last year frame was made in USA)The ZAC rims lasted a couple of months. Replaced with Mavics. Added the Manitou/clipless pedals and risers etc...Bottom line-I've ridden alot of bikes in the last 3 years. Was one of the first bikes I saw out there with the radical slope on the top tube. Even though my Raleigh is actually only 17.5", it feels as comfortable as any of the 18"Fishers and has PLENTY of clearance for my 'nads. My other bike is a steel Voodoo w/ a Bomber on it but my fave is still the Raleigh. It just feels right, and I did'nt have to take out a second mortgage on the house to buy it. Word to any Raleigh exec's out there- work on those bike graphics dude's! They've gotten progressively uglier through the years. Whats up with that?