Raleigh M 80 Bike 1998 or Older

M 80

Raleigh M 80

Bill Horrigan   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 2007]
Strength:

This is the best frame I have ever ridden. I bought it in 1995 and here in 2007 the frame is still in excellent shape. After 12 hard years of being my trail bike/commuter/road/trailer towing through heat, rain, and snow(I am from Michigan); rust is minimal, and the welds look great. They should have never stopped using this steel. Best of all this frame was "Made in the USA."

Price savings had to come from somewhere. With the M 80 its obvious these came from the componants. My Rock Shock Quads are toast. Ive replaced the cranks, wheels, seat, bars, seat post, pedals, and my brakes just fell apart.

Right now I am at a crossroad. Should I replace componants on an awesome frame, or get a newer full suspension bike. I have decided to do both. Unfortunatly Raliegh USA isn't made in the USA anymore(that I know of) or they wouldn't have lost my buisness.

Similar Products Used: Trek 6500, Iron Horse, Cannondale Super V,Specialized Stumpjumper.
Rommel Upshur   Weekend Warrior [Oct 20, 2000]
Strength:

A classy green color that I haven't seen on too many other bikes,light(for me),climbs well, comfortable ride,has held up well after 2 yrs of an average of 3 times per week riding off road,road, winter, summer.

Haven't found any in 2 yrs

This is an update to my first review approximately 2 yrs ago. This bike has proven itself in all conditions. In the 2yrs that I have had it, there has been no problem occur that wasn't just a matter of routine maintenance. It still is a better bike for the money. The ride is still comfortable after moderately long trips(30 miles). It climbs well in the dirt and on the street. The paint still holds up(except for a few rock dings but nothing lasts forever). If Raleigh had a decent full suspension bike I would by one from them. But since they don't, I won't. This bike could probably last for quite a while provided I don't have some catastrophic crash

Brian   [Jul 25, 2000]
Strength:

Frame has taken a real beating

if you ride alot things brake and fall off

the original fork sucked so i got a judy xc. after taking about 5 big jumps the original rims were trashed. the brakes stopped working after a couple months (i tried new brake pads). the sram gripshift doesn't work with shimano derailers. the only good thing about the stock bike was the frame. it takes big drop-offs and jumps and after two years still shows no weakness. The 16.5 inch frame has more of a ds and trials geometry than a trail bike geometry. if you dont ride that often than this is a good bike, but if you put 50+ miles a week on the trails spend some more money.

Similar Products Used: giant xtc se1
Levi Foust   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2000]
Strength:

Sweet Price, takes a beating,& looks great with red tires

N/A

I treat my bikes too rough and they wear out in about 6 months- this Raleigh just keeps on going! It's probably got about 4,000 hard core miles on it. It's a good buy for a college or high school student. New, mine cost $485. My friend bought the 99 model and it's a real ticker too! It handles any terrain well and its geometry is just right for me. At nearly 6 foot, I like the 20 incher.

Similar Products Used: nothing compares to this great machine
Kevin D.   Weekend Warrior [Dec 22, 1999]
Strength:

Price
Components
Frame strentgh
Color & finish

Uncomfortable Vetta tri-shock seat.
Weight.

This is a great bike for the $$$. I've owned mine since 97' and it's held up great. I've done some jumps where I know I was 8 to 10 feet in the air and this bike took it like nothing. Warped a few rims but that's to be expected. I would recommend this bike to any one who was looking for a bike under $1000.

Rob   Weekend Warrior [Dec 21, 1999]
Strength:

price, price, price

hard seat
fork?

I spent over 2 months shopping around for a new bike and nothing in the price range I was looking at even came close. Everything else had maybe an stx rear der. and then a mix of alivio and acera components. When iI was finally ready to by all of the bike shops were out of M-80's but I found one at Sports Chalet and since the 00 had just come out they dropped the price to a paltry $399. You just can't beat the price this quality of bike. I have put just over 250 miles on the bike in the 4 weeks I have had it, about half road and half trail (I put road tires on it when I ride the street) and I haven't had any problems except for a broken end cap on the rear skewer which was my fault for crashing in the rocks. This bike handles great on the downhills and climbs like a goat. I would recommend it to anyone. Great frame, good components and easily upgradable.

Similar Products Used: everything between $500 and $750 while shopping around
Al T   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 27, 1999]
Strength:

The best Chro-moly in the planet-excellent frame
paint job-have fallen with this bike about 20 times and the paint job is still glowing
Shimano components
Price-got mine for 400 stones
lightweight for a chro-molu frame

Cheap bottom bracket
cantilever brakes

The best Chromoly frame out there! I used this bike with the original components for three years with no problems. I was planning to purchase a full suspension bike but decided to upgrade to a full Shimano XTR components, with Marzocchi Superfly fork and Mavic Crosslink wheelset. It's just too darn good looking to part away. I'm over 35 years, but can still keep up with the younger guys on those 35 degree hills using this bike. Definitely 5 red hot chilis on this bike!

Similar Products Used: Trek
specialized
Anthony Perez   Racer [Oct 19, 1999]
Strength:

i would have to say the stem held up to a hell of a beating, the front stx derailleur, and the stx-rc crankset and thats about it.

everything not mentioned above but it held out quite a while though so i cant bitch too much

this bike took a hell of a beating for about two years before the frame finally started to give(mysterious creaks and a bent derailleur hanger suck) but it gave me almost nothing but podium (provided we had one) finishes so it worked out for the best but if your on a budget and want the most bang for your buck then you should look into this bike it will stand up to quite a beating. I'm giving it four stars for the frame going to hell

Similar Products Used: cannondales and every other chromoly hardtail out there
Brian Hileman   Weekend Warrior [Sep 09, 1999]
Strength:

Frame, componets ,The name Raleigh has been around so long

Fork & Tires

I have a review posted at the M-60 site last Feb 14(This site for M-80 was not here yet) This is the absolute best bike that you can get for the money. I've made so many up-grades since my original $550.00 purchase; Manatou SX, Bontranger, S.P.D pedals, LX v-brakes, Mavic 221 rims, Kore stem & bar, Tioga X/C tires , & lastly a Rock Shox suspension seat post. Most parts were bought at blow-out prices for big savings. This is one of the nicest bikes around when I'm out riding. The up-grades on this bike make it perform & ride like one costing $1,500 to $2,000. The only reason I even spent $$ on up-grades, was the quality of the frame, some of the best welds in the buisness are found on Raleigh bikes. For the rest of you guys that are thinking of up-grading your M-80, GO FOR IT! Even just the wheels & shock change will blow you away. This is by far the best bike I've had, no problems yet, and I've put over 300 beat the shit outta ya miles on it. Anybody riding the fireroads in the Hot Springs Dist. or Quaking Aspen area, If you catch sight of the red crome M-80, just grin as I blow by you, and pack yer teeth with dirt!