Proflex Animal Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Proflex Animal HED

heacox   Weekend Warrior [Mar 03, 2011]
Strength:

I have a K2 proflex Animal. Never used. What's it worth. Excellent condition.

Would like to sell

Jeffrey Jones   Weekend Warrior [Nov 19, 2001]
Strength:

This bike is tough and sturdy. I really like how high it is off the ground. You can jump over logs easy. I like the xt components and brakes. It is a nice freeride bike. I went to sugar mountain in NC and rode and it handled the course very good. It climbes good and can handle most anything.

The only thing I didnt like was the tires that came with the bike. I put a set of DH panriser tires and It made a world of difference.

For the money I paid for the bike it was a steal a good free ride bike costs $2000.00 I got this bike better than half price.I really like it . If you dont like this bike you must be used to light fs bikes. I have a DBr4 diamond back. I have put xtr cranks and put a psylo xc front shock. It may be lighter but it want handle rough terrain like the animal. I would recommend it to anybody.

Similar Products Used: diamond back treck specialized gary fisher
Colin Shields   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2003]
Strength:

Frame Frame Frame, drivetrain, Believe it or not the original Girvin Linkage Fork minus the oem boinger.

OEM MCU boingers trash from the get go... Stock rims were ok 'till I tryed my first real DH hit an erosion ditch with too much oomph and bent the front rim and blew out the headset...

When I purchased this bike it was New out of the box. And my first couple of months were all part of the learning curve. After developing the ability to ride more than city streets I felt that I could hang on to this bike for at least 2 years... I still run the stock Shimano, Magura and Sram systems and you know what I like 'em. I have had the frame for going on 7 years and although I did replace items like BB, cranks, shocks I still feel that I could ride this bike for a few more years, so I am very pleased with the frame.
I am a Process Engineer and if it ain't broke then buy something even better for more insurance that it won't break ie the Race face cranks & Syncros BB other than pulling them apart fours times a year and doing basic maintenance they have never let me down. (I weigh 300lbs and have a 38" waist and ride the fecal matter out of this bike) The XT drivetrain has become a testament to Shimano and I don't like Shimano.
I have designed a set of bearings for the rear swing arm main pivot and am also in the process of installing a set of front Zokes. I finally broke a bushing and thought what the...
Hey I like it, for what I do it's the fecal matter. Would I take it to Whistler no it's not a DH bike and ya I would trash it. It works good from single track to steep fire roads. The brakes have worked so well that I intend to stay with Magura when I build my second bike... It's going to be a Hardtail with a selection of Race Face, Syncros and yes Shimano too.

What would make it a value rating Five Star bike, if I bought it used for 500.00 and then built it up..
I based the rating on what got for what I paid 3*, and what I now have 5*.

Similar Products Used: This was my first semi high end ride. So I find it's like totally dialed in for me dude. cha
Big AL   racer [Sep 18, 1998]

My friend got this bike and first of all the fork sucks!, its harsh, not plush, and it sucks even with speed springs. second of all, he broke the rear shock in half right on the shaft, bent the swingarm, and half the clear coat, and paint are gone. The red, and blu colors make it look like one of those freeride huffy's at toys R us. Flexy swingarm, chain broke, all paint came off shocks, biopaces like god knows what, feels like riding a pogo stick, seat post broke, stem broke, pedals suck cause they release too easy, all togater this bike is a hunk of crap, but if you dont belive me, go out and buy one, and kill yourself (and your budget) riding it. I would give it zero falming horses if i could!

Joe LeChance   downhiller [Mar 23, 1998]

I recently rode this bike and found it to ride like a sponge. It was the worst ride i have ever felt. This bike is too heavy and the suspenson is terrible. I t wasnt sturdy and it was difficult to stop with the inferior components. Also what is up with the front suspension on this thing, is there any, i couldnt tell. I wouldnt wish this upon anybody.

Calvin   weekend warrior [Mar 25, 1998]

I have recently aquired a 98' Animal. It runs full XT, has killer looks (tiger stripes) and is great value for money. This baby is plush and it really rocks on rough descents!!! It sucks up everything on the way down. I run the rear on Smart compression damping. That way, the shock can run with no damping over small hits and (almost) instantly increasing the damping for big hits. Stopping duties are carried out by a pair of Magura HS22s. These didn't come with boosters but still, they can stop this Animal when you really need to, considering the fact the it is quite heavy (30.9 lbs). K2 lowered the pivot by 2.8mm this year to reduce the bouncing effect, and it shows that Proflex bikes can still climb. This is a bike that will take some time to tame, those who do will be rewarded. Go train up, then go riding. Suffer a bit on the way up, then really let'er rip on the way down. After that, grin like a stupid idiot while you wait for your HT pals.Five chillies from me if not for the weight.

Robert Berta   cross-country rider [Jul 22, 1997]

I had a review of this bike (a 1996 Animal with HED wheels) when it first came out here. Thought that it would be useful to do a long term review of the bike now that I have had it for over a year. The early review (still posted here) listed the major changes I made and likes/dislikes. In a nut shell...the stock girvin fork was just OK compared to other forks like the RockShock, etc. The limiting factor was the the elastomers which (like on telescopic forks) is just not the ticket. The elastomers do have one advantage....they are a little lighter than coil springs...but the coils springs work Ssssoooo much better they are worth the weight penalty. I went with the Speed Spring upgrades and changed out the stock damper oil to 10 wt. Big difference. In comparison to other bikes I ride which have hot rodded RockShock forks with White Bros. internals, I prefer the Girvin fork. It has a big advantage in really hard carving of corners. Very rigid. With the coil springs in both front and rear you also gain a lot more useable suspension travel. The only component on the bike which didn't holdup was the stock Aheadset which died very quickly. I replaced that with a Chris King and don't plan on ever having problems with that again! I wore out the rings so replaced them with Real Rings which shift great and have proven to be very long lived. Weight saving measures included a White Industries Bottom Bracket, and a Ringle Moby seatpost and a light seat. I also got a good deal on a light XTR cogset which I installed on the stock LX hubs. I also got a set of Altek levers for the Magura Brakes. All told I dropped the weight about 2 lls. overall. Note that all of the changes with the exception of the headset were not due to equipment failures so I feel the durability of the bike has proven out. The HED wheels, while heavier than other options, has proven to be hell for stout. I never have had any problems with the wheels....and I do get a lot of air in my riding. I have also been pleasantly surprised that both the front and rear stock ODS shock body and oil seals (remember I installed coil springs on them) have been trouble free. The Magura brakes on this bike and another have also been trouble free and very easy to keep properly adjusted. V brakes I have used have proven to have less than stellar lives and require constant adjustment to keep them from squeeling and require frequent pad replacement. One other upgrade was to a set of Shimano 747 pedals which I found mailorder for $99.When I first got this bike I did worry if the additional comlexity would amount to a lot more failures or maintenance than my other bikes. This hasn't proven to be a problem. Even the fork which some have said requires more maintenance has proven to be very easy to keep in top shape. I got the severe conditions seals and keep them regularly cleaned and lubed and have had no problems even after about 4,000 miles of use. About every 500 miles I tear the fork down to clean and lube and can now do the whole maintenance in about an hour or less. I do all maintenance on the bike myself.I ride the bike in the San Francisco area therefore the bike doesn't see much mud. I do a lot of single track riding in the woods near my house, some fire trails and a lot of technical slower speed stuff. While the original bike was on the heavier side the modifications I made got it down to a reasonable weight and since I don't race it this hasn't even been an issue. I weigh 140 lbs. and have the middle size frame (18) since I am 6' tall. This wouldn't be my choice for a race bike since the added complexity and weight aren't appropriate for racing. But as a crosscountry blasting bike it has proven itself and has also had an admirable reliability record. In comparison my riding partners bike (we ride the same rides all the time and put in the same miles and have the same weight/height) has had 2 seal and or damper failures in the Judy fork, rear shock replaced twice, pedal bearings wore out, headset replaced and other minor problems. This in a Trek Y22.

Rik Van Egdom   Weekend Warrior [Sep 07, 2000]
Strength:

What strengths?

The frame only has 4.7 inches of travel (not the 5.5 i was led to believe :(.) The rear shock is crap, it only has rebound control and the funky extendo shaft is really weak

this bike is not what everyone says it is. If the other riders that reviewed this bike actually rode as hard as they say they do they would be experiencing the same problems as me. The frame has mondo flex in the rear end, and to top it all off i literally bent the rear shock at the point where the extendo shaft and the shock meet. I also destroyed the collet that holds the spring in which then scratched the heck out of the shock, and after 3 days the rebound control died! all in all i didn't even do anything that big. i am only 16 and 140 lbs, and all i did that was big were a 15 stair (only like 6.5 feet but real long) and another 6 footer onto a huge downslope! i don't understand! well, this experience just goes to show that u can't go by what other people say.

Similar Products Used: trek vrx 400
John   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2000]
Strength:

Suspension is very plush. I've hit all kinds of boulders with this baby while sipping on my water bottle (probably could have given the rabbi a ride and done my son's circumcison on back if I had a bannana seat);). Magura brakes rock, real stopping power rain, sleet or snow. Front forks are unreal soak up anything you can throw at em very adjustable. I like the way the bike looks. Haven't had to adjust anything yet seems to be reliable. Climbs very well almost as good as my old Barracuda. But best of all what I like is I paid an ubelievably low price for this bike. I'm not even going to say but the components themselves were worth way more than what I paid for the bike. All you rich kids go out there spend your easy money on your $1500 Specialized FS whatever. I'll take you over some rocks and boulders some big drops and see if you worry about hurtin yo pretty little yuppie bike. This bike is killer on rocky downhill stuff I pull away I don't grab for the brakes I just point and shoot the Animal does the rest. I must say I was a little worried about tight cornered single tracks but again the Animal blew me away. I thought because I was so high off the ground it wouldn't corner but it cornered just as good maybe better than my Barracuda. What can I say if you can find one buy it you'll never regret it. Mine is a 97 model.

If your a Tree Huggin, non-meat eatin, flag burning, draft dodging, rather be red than dead, whining about weight.... and voted for Clinton and plan to vote for Gore Wimp. This is not the bike for you. The weakness is in your head not the couple of extra pounds on the bike. The bike has no weaknesses.

I've heard all the whiners they are all college age or yuppies that never had to work for a living. Actually I'm somewhat thankful for them because they helped drive down the price of this excellent bike. If you are a red blooded American working man you will not, I repeat you will not beat this bike for the price. Buy one immediately if you can find it chances are it will be from some whinin yuppie or someone who never rides and doesn't know how to appreciate an excellent bike you'll get the deal of the century. You'll be writing an article like this one. If they made a Mountain Bike version of Brave Heart this is the bike Mel Gibson would have been on.

Similar Products Used: Barracuda
John W.   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2000]
Strength:

Bulletproof frame
Plush five inch travel both ends
Shimano XT components
Magura HS-22 brakes
Love it or leave it paint scheme(I love it)

Some details in owners manual a bit sketchy
No rebound adjust on the NR5 smartshock
Chubby LT fork limits turn radius

I bought this bike off the Internet at EDISCOUNTBIKE.com for a miserly $799.00 + shipping. What a steal, the components alone are probably worth that much! The bike rides like a million bucks with the stock 750 pound spring on the rear smartshock and stock MCUs in the Chubby front fork. For reference, my frame is the Way Big size and I am 6'3" and 215 lbs. Correct sag was easy to setup and the suspension feels balanced and soooooo plush. If you like comfort and control then this is the bike for you. But be forewarned, this bike is no sprinter, especially in the big ring where it has a tendency to bob a bit if you mash the pedals. Climbing ability is surprisingly good for a freeride bike, as long as you stay seated and on the nose of the saddle the bike seems to never run out of traction. The Animal has a fairly high center of gravity and corners best from a seated position, just trust that long travel suspension to soak up the bumps and she rails! This bike responds to an aggresive riding style, the faster you go the better it works. That being said, the front fork limits turning radius in the really tight stuff but then again this bike is a freerider not a trials bike. I was so impressed with this bike that I bought a 98 Beast for a backup ride (same bike as Animal without Smartshock and Magura brakes). Five flamin' chilis for the Animal and K2.