Proflex 857 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

857 Bike

Proflex 857 Bike

JHicks   All Mountain Rider [Feb 22, 2014]
Strength:

Climbs like a mountain goat, very tough, good stable suspension system. Very easily & afordably upgraded. AMAZING 26" bike.

Hard to retrofit w/ disk brakes.

This is overall an AMAZING bike, I got mine off web years ago, & have upgraded overtime. The geometry of the bike provides great downhill and uphill capacity. There are lots of upgrades (Nulife cycles) that add to the bike for a great price. My pro flex is capable of keeping up w/ just about any rockhopper out there (after upgrades of course). They don't come w/ disk brakes, but stop very well. Very strong bike, able to take savage punishment, good clearance for an old style bike. In my opinion this bike was ahead of it's time!

Similar Products Used: Pro Flex K2
Toaster Head   Racer [Apr 29, 2010]
Strength:

This bike handles amazing, the front suspention absorbes ever shock and bump from my jumps, gaps, and drops. It tackles sharp corners with no problems. This bike can pretty much handle anything i throw at it.

I found thw brakes to be a little weak, but that is due to the age of this bike, the tires are too thin for a solid mountain bike, on top of that, the tread didn't provide the proper traction i needed.

I came to this site looking for some info on this bike i have, my mountain biking team just started back up and after reading said reviews, this is going to be my racing bike for the season. I have since replaced the brake shoes, and upgraded the tires to 3'' self sealing Maxxis tires, which provide amazing traction. I really wish this bike had come with optional disc brakes.

Similar Products Used: Specialized - Hardrock
Rocky Mountain - Flow
Free Spirit - Merge
Climber   Racer [Jun 06, 2008]
Strength:

THe Noleen shocks sucked up everyting in sight. The Girvin was stiff and tracked like a rigid fork. The Girvin fork has zero flex allowing it to be driven hard into corners. This was a great climber for a full suspension. The pivot location pulled the rear tire into the ground resulting in great traction. I was able to climb areas others could not.

Weight. The bike was a little heavy. The stock Wild Grippers were terrible. I might have been better off riding on the rims, these tires offered little traction. The small frame set up does not have room for a resovoir for the rear shock.

This bike was awsome. I would still be riding it but it was stolen in FL. It climbed, it descended, it was a great all around bike. I raced it and did very well. There was little I couldn't climb or go all out through with confidance. This included tight twisty and wide open flat out courses. It is a shame K2 ruined the bike through design changes, poor marketing and everything else they could do wrong.

Similar Products Used: Giant MCM, Trek 9.0 Fuel
Kevin Smith   Cross Country Rider [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

Beautiful welds, not "squeezed from a toothpaste tube" like some aluminum frames. Light and stiff. Replacable derailleur hanger. Bought as a frame only, but once built, exceeded my expectations dramatically!!!

Paint chips easily. Bearingless pivots squeak unless greased often (proper maintainance, so I'm nit-picking). Rear V-Brake noodle rubs left heel unless you loosely zip-tie the brake and shifter housings together right behind the bottom bracket.

This bike exceeded my every expectation!!! It is light, there is very little bottom bracket flex, and it handles like a high-end hardtail. At first I thought the long (17") chainstays would slow this bike down. NOT!!! She handles the technical singletrack like a dream. She climbs like a mountain goat on steroids, and decends like a dream!!! This ended up being the perfect light weight cross country machine for me. I'm a clydesdale finesse rider, and she suits my riding style perfectly. I detected no pedal induced bobbing, and the bike just disappears benieth me like she is supposed to do. She rides like a hardtail, but soaks up the bumps all day long. Seated with the proper shock sag, the headtube/seattube angles are a perfect 71/73...SWEET!!! With the light weight and only 3" on travel, I cannot recommend this bike to the down-hiller or "freerider". But if you are looking for the sweetest XC rig out there, and can find one of these frames used, BUY IT!!!

Similar Products Used: Univega Alpina Trail, Nishiki Saga, GT Tequesta, GT I-Drive, Litespeed Tsali, Cannondale Raven, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Specialized S-Works... and a myriad of other friend's bikes over the many years I've been riding and racing (since the mid 80s).
Will   Cross Country Rider [Nov 28, 2001]
Strength:

Great bike to ride, excellent comfort. I do not have the Noleen fork. I purchased a '99 Marzocchi Z1 fork for this bike. The rear swingarm is built well and you can literally feel the rear wheel diggin into the trail as you climb uphill. It is a very good design for it's time, but I think there are more promising designs today. I still stand by the 857 as it's one of the best series to buy from Pro-flex. Stiff carbon fiber rear swingarm.

You'll need to make a bit more slack for the cable housing and cable. My deraileur will auto shift sometimes when I compress the rear suspension too much because I didnt use enough cabling to compensate for this. The Z1 fork compresses a bit much for XC riding but can clean many of my routes 2 times faster on this rig than my Procaliber can.

Get the bike if you don't want to huck away all that precious dough on something you'd rather look at than throw mud at. Its a very fun bike and handles exceptionally well through singletrack and bunny hopping trails. I have confidence in the rear-carbon swing arm since it is stiff and I do have some sense on how to land a bike properly (listen up kids that break bottom brackets left and right). It's a bit flashy, so you better be up to prove what your made of.

Similar Products Used: Proflex Beast (heavier). Schwinn Homegrown Full suspension
Sko   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2006]
Strength:

When I bought this ride in 1995, it was the plushest product on the market (important for me because I have pins in my right hand) and was looking for something that I could ride for 8 hours at a time. The MCUs did the trick (until they dried up).

MCUs had a limited life.

I have had this ride for 12 years now, and have toyed with the idea of getting a new ride for the last 2 years. Each time I've tested new rides, I've been shocked back to life with the question; "Why?" This bike has absolutely nothing wrong with it. It still looks great (I get comments from young riders who have no idea how old the bike is, and also from older riders who actually remember the brand quite favourably and are awe-struck that this ride is still going), with all-original, unflecked paint!!! Outside of updating the front and rear suspension with Noleen NR2s (once the MCUs died), I've done little to change this ride. I did end up changing the stem and bars for a more comfortable reach (Icon and Easton respectively), and then changed the original saddle for a Bontrager Gel. Everything else is original. And this ride has been out to B.C. to ride the North Shore, Squamish and Whistler about 8 years in a row; down to Vermont eight years in a row and also to Moab, Utah. I ride almost every week somewhere in Ontario during riding season (April to October) and by no means baby it. For it to still look brand new is a great testament to Bob Girvin and his incredible product.

Similar Products Used: Prior to this ride I had a Kona Hardrock and a Stumpjumper.
Ian MacGregor   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2006]
Strength:

Excellent frame and geometry. Rides like a buck taking off from the hunters during the season. Versatile bike, good for grocery getting and hardcore riding...this bike rocks!!! She's a performer!

Old shocks sucked...Noleen sucks!!! I have since upgraded the front shock to a Rock Shox Judy XL, and the rear shock to a Reese Racing shock...SWEET, with no creaks or noise, perfect rebound and damping.

This bike ROCKS on the trails, and rides like a scared buck during hunting season!!! Soaks up the bumps, and climbs like a Billy Goat! After upgrading the suspention, all creaks and noises were eliminated, and this bike kicks BUTT!!! I've ridden the TOP end bike sold by Serotta, Specialized, GT, and Cannondale since buying this thing, and they all suck in comparison! (I-Drive comes close, but no cigar, and now GT sold out to Walmart...lol). This is the perfect full suspension mountain bike, and I will keep her for life. Reese shock is great, air adjustable, and has continually sustained my 250 lb arse.

Similar Products Used: Litespeed Tsali, Litespeed Unicoi, GT I-Drive, Fat City Monster Fat, Fat City Yo Eddy.
Michael Lilly   Weekend Warrior [Jan 07, 2000]
Strength:

carbon nollen smart fork carbon swing arm w/smart rigid bike all over great all over the trails

tough one to answer! flawless performence from this bike,i guess it came with a unforgiving seat

great bike all over! if you can get ahold of a closeout yet,do it.go for XTR's,smart shocks,and front carbon.this is one of the best deals to come along!

Similar Products Used: gary fishers,cannondales,giants
Chris Evans   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 07, 1999]
Strength:

climbing
quick steering ability
geometry

noleen shocks

Love this bike. I have changed quite a few components on it. Easton CT-2 carbon bar, Lp composite braid bar ends, Spinergy Spox, Race Face next lp crank, Titec carbon seatpost, Squadra seat, Risse Racing Astro-5 rear shock and Risse Gen shock up front. These shocks are awesome. They don't even compare at all to the heavy creaky noleens. The astro has on the fly 5 position damping control. The noleen nr-2's didn't really even have a noticable difference in damping with the adjustment. any how the rest of the 857 which I did keep , I love. I simply got rid of the stuff I didn't like.

Similar Products Used: specialized comp
Dennis Ordiway   cross-country rider [Sep 28, 1998]

I own a 1997 ProFlex 857. My experiences with other full suspensions are from owning a Canondale Super V (aluminum trailing arm vintage), and a Trek Y bike.Pros: The dig-in suspension is not just hype. When you get in the small chainring, the rear suspension pushes the rear wheel down, giving you more traction. It was particularly noticeable when I first got the bike. Now I am used to it. The suspension is really active - it suspends you when you pedal, when you brake, etc. I now prefer this kind of suspension. The front fork is one of the reasons I chose the bike. It steers with much more precision than telescoping forks, but not as well as the Canondale. Almost zero maintenance on the fork, too. Reliability of the bike as a whole, after 15 months of frequent use has been great.Cons: Not the lightest FS you can get. The Trek was noticably lighter. It can be a noisy bike. The front fork requires lubrication, my shocks were very squeaky until they broke in (took months), and big aluminum amplifies every noise (Canondale did the same). I have persevered through these, though, and now the bike is acutally very quiet. The fork is probably less hassle than leaky telescoping forks that require professional maintenance. The bike came with the LX silent clutch rear hub, ironically enough. Frame construction is not sexy, but it works - the frame is not flexy. Some of the pivots look like nothing more than a bolt through the frame. Also, don't get this fork if you like to ride no-handed: you can't for long. Take a test ride if you don't believe me, but wear a helmet and don't blame me for what happens.Overall: Practical cross country bike that climbs and steers great, does it a little different than other bikes do, and has a few easy to live with quirks.