Proflex 856 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Proflex 856 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Proflex 856 Bike

[May 23, 2016]
BikerAndy

Strength:

Light weight, great set-up for hill climbing, a rugged bike for all terrain, while still being light and classy for round-town travel. The unique cantilever front suspension rides like a dream.

Elastomer parts are hard to come by now. Bit bulky for international travel.

An awesome bike -I have had mine since 1997, and I still ride it daily. It has been around the world a few times with me, and some of the roughest tracks in NZ, Canada and San Francisco. Regular maintenance and a bit or intelligence will give you many years of use out of this bike.
I have been looking for a replacement, but can't find one to match the weight, versatility or ride. This is a Girven Pro-flex. Everything else out there is just a bike.

[May 20, 2011]
mtbr123

Strength:

Lightweight dual suspension bike, handles great and perfect for trails. Climbs great for dual suspension.

Problems with just my setup: rear noleen shock comes appart often, spring was too stiff(easy fix), raceface crank bearings and crank are horrible, my rear mount for disc brake that was tig welded on to the 7075 aluminum frame is starting to crack. I have read about frame cracking but haven't had that happen.

If you can find one get it, it is very versitile. The advantage this bike has is weight, it is the lightest dual suspension I have rode and handles great with modern fork and brakes. I use the bike for trails and around town. It will handle fast trails and 4 ft drops pretty smooth.

Specialized big hit spec

[Jan 01, 2000]
DJ Osborne
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Excellent front Fork... better marketing and this unit would take over the noodlie stantion designs. Also, minimal po-go, nice weight, easy to maintain.

The V frame swing arm mount is a semi-poor design. If you are a large human you will eventually break it. But no fear as K2 will replace it as they did mine.

Excellent value. My last one was stolen. I have the replacement rear section. If anyone would like to sell a front frame part only I would love to buy it. Then I could re-build back my 856. email osbornedj@hotmail.com

Trek Why bike
Cannondale V series

[Jul 16, 1999]
Derek

Strength:

Excellent on the Downhill
Very comfortable ride

Creaks if the crankset is loose
Headset tends to creak a bit

This bike has been one of the best I've owned. It has a great ride, great handling and I've had very few problems with it. The frame has been great also. I've only had one crash and that was on pavement; nothing broke and I rode it home. Despite some nicks and scratches in the paint, this has been a very enjoyable bike. I'd give it 4 chilis

Specialized
Schwinn

[Apr 09, 1999]
Mike Dalton
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Durability of Bushes, Climbing ability

ODS Dampers

I brought my 856 new in May 96. Since then it has been much used and abused but it still keeps going. I'm still on the original rear suspension bushes and as long as I clean and lubricate then every 6 months or so there is lots of life left in them. The front suspension has been replaced with the later 857 front forks with an NR2 Damper. These are MUCH better than the original forks. The only thing I really don't like is the ODS unit on the rear. I'm running a speed spring and no matter what mods I try it is still grossly under damped. Unfortunately none of the local bike shops can help me with a replacement Noleen damper. Overall this has been an excellent bike. The new K2's must be awesome.

[Apr 13, 1999]
TJ
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Geometry
Weight
Climbing
Performance in any condition

Maintenance
Noisy NR-1 / Pivots
Shifter / Brake cable runs

This bike has been an interesting project. Bought the frameset in 1998 at clearout pricing from my LBS($C500) and have built it up from new/used parts. Based upon many of the reviews below the bike is now close to perfect. I am riding it w a Judy C Long Travel, XT front and rear, a Profile Carbon Fiber riser bar and Syncros Cranks (20, 32, 42). I estimate the weight at 27lbs.Had many problems with gunk getting in the shifter cable due to the poor design of the cable runs. Solved by running a Gore-Tex cable in a solid sheath end to end with a stronger derailleur spring and LX shifters (it's now impossible for gunk to get in and shifting is flawless).Future upgrades will likely include a Risse Astro-5 rear shock to improve weight (wish I could get mine to weigh 25.5 lbs as stated above!). Maintenance on the bike is relatively easy, but very frequent (almost every ride). Overall, I'm very impressed as I believe the bike stacks up much better than todays FS Frames in the $2-3K price range. Would recommend the bike to anyone.

DBR, FSR, Element

[Sep 17, 1998]
Steve
weekend warrior

I got a proflex 856 frame with a girven ODS rear shock for about $750. I am quite happy with it and soon will upgrade the forks on it to a pair of Marzocchi Bombers. I stripped my old bike bought some new stuff and rebuilt it on the Proflex and she goes very nice. Soon enough I would also upgrade my rear shock as well to a Nolen NR2. After this I will be quite happy and I have so far paid about 2 grand for my beast.

[Mar 16, 1998]
S.Davies
racer

Have had my 856 for about 6months now, 97 Judy dh, Risse rear shock, mostly LX on mavic rims. Have raced it XC, DH and DS love the handling, I feel it's quicker XC than my previous alum hardtail. Haven't had any problems with bike and am planning to race it for the next couple of seasons.

[May 29, 2000]
Dylan Markow

Strength:

Little Pogo, comfortable downhill ride

Pain to service, specifically adjustment on the front der.

Rides very nicely. It's not too heavy, compared with some other full-suspensions, which helps a lot with the uphill. Great bike for overall riding. Great for single-track, handles nicely.

[May 04, 1999]
Steve
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Durability, Geometry,Comfort

Tubes

This bike is the best I've ridden for East coast trails. Great singletrack bike. The Girvin fork is too harsh, and deflects off rocks. Note set-up

Scott Vantage 3.0