Proflex 757 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Proflex 757 Bike

EdwardOliver   Cross Country Rider [Aug 13, 2009]
Strength:

Best climber ever. Slick, plush ride. Light for a full suspension.

None.

Around 12 years ago, when I was 17, I used to race mountain bikes and had at the time a Cannondale Delta V 700 - great bike.

But then I went on a 1 week holiday to the Swiss Alps & hired one of these things. It was a revelation!

I guess it says it all that an Alpine MTB rental place was using it - because boy, does this bike climb well.

All I remember is whizzing up-hill with miracle-like ease. The grip was phenomenal from the rear shock, combined with the low weight.

Anyway, I'm 30 now, and have just bought one second hand off ebay a few moments ago - for a mere 500 bucks!

Can't wait for it to arrive, because the fact I remember how good it rode - after 12 long years - tells you just how much I rate this bike.

I recently tried a few new full suspension bikes from 2009, but wasn't as impressed as I remember feeling 12 years ago on this Pro-Flex. So it's a no-brainer between spending $3,000 on a new bike just because it has slightly more modern technology, vs. spending a mere few hundred dollars on this machine with its perfect geometry and supreme climbing ability.

And of course the descents weren't bad either!

FIND ONE. BUY ONE. RIDE ONE.

...because you're looking at the bargain of the century second hand.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Delta V 700
phil burrill   Weekend Warrior [Feb 18, 2002]
Strength:

great strong frame! I weigh 240 + and no cracks or problems highly reccomended framset.

Crappy noisy noleen front fork.

The nollen n2 rear shock, is a worthwhile mod if your rig doesn't have one. I still need a stiffer front fork. rear suspension creaks if you don't keep up on lubing it. but is a strong frameset worthy of building up. Reccommend to any weekend warrior looking for a fairly light strong framset.
5 chilis on value, got mine used, 5 chilis overall due to great frameset!!

Similar Products Used: cannondale & assorted cheap crap
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Feb 02, 2002]
Strength:

Will more than suit any riding style.

Been riding it for 4 years and still have not found one!

The best all around bike that I have ever pushed! With 12 years riding and racing experience, I will never buy any other make of bike, or model for that matter!! If you are a "Go Hard or Go Home" free-style/cross country rider this is the best bike for your intrests. Living 4 hours north of Toronto, Canada, (alot of bush and rock)our trail system is very well developed. Name your flavour of trail and we have an abundance to select from. Riding 7 days a week, avg. 70-90 kms/ day and also doing the odd winter riding on ski hills and cross-country sking trails, I have put many of my bikes to the test and not one bike has ever performed as well or problem free as my Proflex 757.

Similar Products Used: GT,Specalized,Trek,Brodie
Milton   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 1999]
Strength:

Great for climbing and jumping (landing).

Noisy.

I have had my bike for a while. It has taken a beating and kept on going. This last spring I did put some money into the suspension and drive train. It is a great bike with only one problem. It is nosiy

Similar Products Used: Canondale
Will Jones   cross-country rider [May 19, 1998]

WOW!!! I just got my 757 and It's the best. I got it on sale for 1,000.
It practically pulls over small bumps, and has the smoothest ride ever.
It climbs as good as my hardtail(Specialized stumpjumper) with better control.
Don't buy it because I want to be the only one in town with one!!!

Ryan Whitman   weekend warrior [Oct 23, 1997]

I am looking to buy a used Pro Flex 756, 757, 856, or 857. I can be reached at RW@MATC

Neale   Weekend Warrior [Oct 08, 1999]
Strength:

Design,
Strength,
Weight
Looks (I like 'em)

Original component level
Mavic Rims :(
Noleen shocks

I picked the 757 up as a pre-abused bargain about 18 months ago. When I got it it was pretty well stripped right down, and an Onza Seatpost, Syncros riser bar, XTR controls, XTR BB & Crankset,535 pedals,XTR RR rear der, XT VBrakes, carbon brake booster on rear, and the LX/Mavic 238 wheelset was replaced by a Rigida DP22 wheelset. These changes dropped about 3lb off the weight.In this form it was thrashed for about 12-15 months, and its weight and climbing and descending capabilities make it just about a perfect XC Full Suspension bike, the CrossLink fork is better than telescopic designs (easily checked against a '97 beast which is the same design except for the fork) when climbing and it doesn't flex like many telescopic fronts I've tried.Over the last three months or so it's had its second round of upgrades, XTR front der, Syncros XLT/Specialized & Sachs wheelset, Tioga Ultralite tubes, Easton Monkeylite Hi-Rise carbon riser bar and Risse Racing Genesis airshocks front and rear. These changes dropped ANOTHER 2-3lb off the weight and it handles even better than it used to, lighter rims & tubes make a big difference to how it feels accelerating or braking, and the other 2-2 1/2lb off the bike (rear hub, Risse shocks and Monkeylite bar) make it much easier to throw around, the 1 1/2lb or so off the front, in particular, makes a big differrence as I can get the front up far more easily. The Risse shocks, as well as being much lighter, have a better feel than the old NR1s, and let me go from a stiff to plush suspension.I'm still tossing up as to whether I follow up the third wave, the Precision Billet brakes and WTB VP250 pedals that I couldn't get because they aren't available at the moment, carbon fork legs and swingarm (ala 957), and seeing whether I can live with racing semi slicks (Kenda Kozmik Lites). These changes would drop another lb or so, but its dubuious whether the function improvements would be enough to make it worth it. Everything to date has significally improved the function of the bike, the weight drops were a (quite) nice side benefit of the other reasons for getting the parts.I really don't understand the amount of bashing the ProFlexes in general get, the '97 design, at least, is brilliant for cross country and tight technical riding, and I'll be keeping (and enjoying) mine for quite a while yet (or until I break it, which I think is the same thing).

Similar Products Used: ProFlex 656
'96 & '97 ProFlex Beast
GT GTS
Specialized FSR
Iron Horse G Spot
Jan Ove   Downhiller [Oct 07, 1999]
Strength:

God jumping and climbing.

Ugly coler

This is a very good bike.

Maia   Cross-Country Rider [May 20, 1999]
Strength:

Great frame, awesome front fork, shocks, low maintenance, stability at high speed, easy climbing

Rear strut doesn't allow to use other shocks than Nollen, sadlle, rims

It's a pitty that I can't use a different shock in the rear, although the NR-1 is very good. I don't like the Mavic 238 rims (considering on Mavic's Crossmax rims) and the saddle was very fragile. Everything else is super and in general worth 5 chilis!!!! (PS- A lot of falls and injuries to those guys who have 1 in this review)

Similar Products Used: Proflex Beast, Grisley Nimbus, Cannondale Raven