Proflex 657 Bike 1998 or Older

Proflex 657 Bike 1998 or Older

Proflex 657

[Aug 19, 2012]
Ken Ray

Strength:

The 657 expert is a dream bike i bought it in 1997 and still have today 2012 and still right it albeit not as hard as I use to. I replaced tires and one set of rim with same rims as i destroyed them. When I bought the bike I upgraded the componenets to XT and V brakes my brakes pull better then most disk brakes and even better in muddy conditions. Yes I paid extra but but 15 yrs later my bike is still a runner. it proforms as well as my brothers 2010 FS rockhopper with disk brakes. I can stay on the same trails and do the same stuff with my OLD BIKE.

As stated head set but my dealer fixxed it at no cost to me with a aheadset never a problem again.

This bike that I own my son who is 14 now likes to ride it. Comfortable in XC and road conditions sleek through the woods. My bike costed a little more with the XT package but as I stated 15 yrs later my son loves this bike. I have rode this bike HARD and put it away wet sprayed it off and little maintenance this bike still shines today. OH yeah and I am 275 lbs changed the rear yellow spring with a purple spring 300 lbs rating never have bottomed out my NOLEEN shock. I lived in VEGAS for 6 yrs and it NEVER melted... you know 110 degrees on the valley floor 130 on the mesa. been in the michigan winters 30 below and it still a great bike..

[Jan 08, 2011]
acomacgeo@yahoo.com
Downhiller

Strength:

this is a beast if you get one or find one never let no one ride cause they may never come back and give their wife

none i can see cause i treat it like my mother

if u get one keep some good tires on it and ride every chance you get

[May 19, 2010]
psp2008psp
Downhiller

Strength:

No matter what you say. I got a Great Deal. The body/frame is fairly lightweight and strong. This bike is for Racing. This this frame and upgrade it. The Rims are Mavic Brand. Pedals have a tight grip. This is the Best Bike I've very brought for $40.

The shocks will melt if used on a hot sunny day. I've replaced my rear suspension with a mini coil shock obtained from a kids bike. The Handle bars is flat and low which hurts the wrist. You must Replace Front and Rear Shocks to take full advantage of this bike. I'm giving this baby DownHill Front Suspension in 3 months.

This bike is worth about $700 Brand New which I do not recommend as of 05/19/10 but I will pay $300 for it but since the shocks melt then I will only pay $150 max mainly for frame and rims.

I've compared this to my friends Cannondale F400 with a bad front head shock and his bike seems to accelerate and stay in speed for a longer duration but then again many technical details apply. After all, it is a Cannondale.

[Mar 24, 2009]
chessmaster

Strength:

strong, good uphill, light, fast

shocks are hard to replace

this is my first non-walmart bike, it needs way less matinence than my old bike, and is much stronger, overall it is the best bike that I hanve ever ridden. I would defentally reconmend this to beginers and pro.s

[Mar 11, 1998]
Grandon Westlund
cross-country rider

Just bought a `97 657 from my LBS. I have over 20 years of riding experience (road raced as a teenager, have been a strong recreational road rider since then). Wanted to have one bike for everything instead of a road bike and a MTB. I decided to go all out and get a FS MTB, and after looking at several brands, I found a black 657 to really catch my eye. I did some reading on the differences with the fork on these bikes, including several websites dedicated to the Proflex/K2 bikes. Upon riding it, I am completely unaware that the suspension is working (except on big hits, where it works GREAT!) except that my body is not as tired after 2-3 hours of technical trail riding. I ride hard and love tight, technical single track with lots of quick turns, jumps, downhills, etc. I loved how the bike fits, handles and rides so much I have sold my custom built Guerciotti road bike with all mavic and dura ace parts as well as my non-suspended MTB and now use my proflex for all my riding. I bought an extra set of wheels and mounted 1 high pressure slicks for my long road rides, and the other set I keep 2 knobbies on for my off road riding. I even use this thing for commuting. My only complaint would be the STX/RC components that are on it (crank and hubs) The crank is heavier, plan on upgrading, and the hubs are not as smooth as I would like them, but the extra wheels I bought have XT hubs and are very smooth, so I use those for my road riding. Later this year I plan on upgrading the wheels that came on the bike and the crank. I always view components as replaceable anyway, and find the frame, fit, finish and suspension of the ProFlex to be incredible! Love it!

[May 05, 1999]
Kevin

Strength:

Solid on downhill, smooth on climbs

Original shifters were so-so, upgrades definately a good idea.

Can't say enough about this bike-got it for less than half what the bike shops were selling the equivalent K2. Smooth on climbs, and rock solid on downhill(especially in the turns; right now i can use all the help i can get) Pretty light for a FS bike in this price range. Upgrade to clipless pedals and go. Got it at Irvine Bike Source-good price, but be sure to call back and CONFIPRM everything BEFORE the bike goes out.

GT, Trek, Giant

[May 23, 1998]
Dave T
cross-country rider

The 657 rides like a tank on feathers. It's light, durable and built to handle the rough stuff. These girvin shocks have no stiction. The GDT rear shock works without a hitch. The single spring ODS front shock kicks over most Rock Shock types with collapsing tubes. It maintains lateral rigidity and softens the bumps. It pulls the bike over 8 curbs at 10 mph like a jet ski over the wake. Try that on most other front shocks...After ten years of hardtail, I will never go back.

[Jun 03, 2001]
Chris Hamilton

Strength:

the frame is awsome but it skweaks when i ride downhill or when im downhilling front shock sucks rims suck bracks suck too!!!

head set came lose and broke.

The bike is good for cross country riding not downhilling.but all of the awsome stuff i stuck on it makes my bike cool!

Diamondback X2,FSR,trek Y frame,GT

[Sep 08, 1999]
paul ballerstein
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

price, looks, full suspesion that works

headset that blew (like everyone else's?)
brakes

A good deal, but I was hoping to get the stiction out of all the suspension bushings by upgrading to bearings and also speed springs. If you have info or know where to get some please help

[May 10, 1999]
Dave

Strength:

Price. It's a 1997. Even last year it went for $650, and now it's at $600, if you can find them.Fun. This bike is just a lot more fun than other bikes I've ridden (15 years of riding).

Full Suspension bikes in general don't come in a variety of sizes. I'm tall (6'5) and got the large size, which is still a bit small. The seat is way up, putting me over the h-bars. But there are no other FS that get any taller...The stock brakes, pedals and headset. You can upgrade to V-brakes for $25 (supergo.com) and a new headset for another $25-$50 that will put it in good order.

For $600, this bike gets the whole bin of chilis. If it were still retailing at $1400, I'd give it 3.8 hot ones.

Owned a series of Specialized/Trek hardtails, Front Shock bikes. Tried a variety of FS bikes. The 657 is no Litespeed, but it is as good as Specialized, GT, Trek, etc...