ParkPre Pro 825 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Pro 825 Bike

Parkpre Pro 825

Rafael Casiano   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2007]
Strength:

Frame geometry: Slightly shorter seat tube for those have slightly shorter legs. Ti plated, double-butted steel frame. Super light!

It's steel: so, if not taken care of, it will rust.

Well, what can I say? The bike is great on descents and equally impressive on climbs. It's quick on single track and switchbacks. Overall, for a vintage bike, it can stll compete in XC circuit and most certainly for a thirty-something year old weekend warrior like myself. Too bad they don't make these any more.

Similar Products Used: I've ridden Giant, GT, Mongoose, however, they do not compare to this bike.
Andy Bell   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2004]
Strength:

The frame!!! if treated well (waxoil the tubes every couple of years & store dry) Infact this is the only original part of the bike thats left!! ..Great ride, Responsive, lite, forgiving, performance! Flick the top tube and hear the tuning fork like ring from those ultralite Tange tubes!!! beautiful.

Tendency to rust from inside out (unnoticable). This can be major as the tubing is so thin. Look out for rust spots and treat immediately. Try not to dent the top or down tube as this could compromise the frame.

Best bike (frame) I've ever owned!! Im keeping it and riding it for as long as I can. I've recently upgraded a load of components with top notch speck, thats how confident in this bike/frame I am.

Rem if you damage this frame its steel (top notch -double butted Tange superlite) so chances are you can get it fixed by a rep. frame builder!

If you are a fast trail/cross cuntry demon like me then you will love this bike. But then you prob. wont be lucky enough to get hold of one now!?

Park Pre - This is a legend frame! Top marks.

Similar Products Used: GT, Cannondale, Ridgeback etc
Bart Lee   cross-country rider [Mar 22, 1998]

I have had this bike for nearly four years and it has been a joy. The rear triangle snapped one day but Park-Pre came through on the replacement relatively fast (two weeks). I have ridden it very hard and have no real complaints once I got rid of the original hubs years ago. I ride too much to have to hassle with a FS bike so long live the hardtail!

Squishy Lamano   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2001]
Strength:

It's made out of titanium-plated steel - very lusty.

The steel is butted.

The year it came out, it had the best suspension fork you could get. There was nothing better at the time.

The RF shifters were good that year.

Not for those that want the stiffest frame.

It came with Onza clipless. You know, the ones that won't let go of your feet?

The tubes obviously came without some kind of rust-preventive treatment. After over a year, the inside of the tubes were rusting like crazy. That's how it died.

After the sixth month, the rear Pulstar freehub broke during a night-ride out in the middle of nowhere. It was the longest walk ever!

I would probably get another one if they still made them. That's because the selection of steel bikes is shrinking. I did find a butted-cromoly frame recently, but I had to upgrade everything else on it (wheels, drivetrain, etc.).

Several years have passed, and by today's standards, the fork would have to be upgraded. The elastomer springs in the fork became too stiff during cold weather and had to be replaced once a year after they lost their elasticity.

The long-armed cantilevers were very powerful.

The rear Pulstar hub that took a sh!t on me was quickly replaced with a whole new rear wheel. Service was excellent!

Overall, it was very good, but not as good as the bike that replaced it.

Similar Products Used: Various hardtails. Some steel and some aluminum (I usually leave the aluminum at home).

Cody Sherr   Weekend Warrior [Aug 26, 1999]
Strength:

Solid frame, very tough, very stable, and runs really nice.

Buy this bike, it's great.

John Foss   weekend warrior [Sep 03, 1998]

I picked this bike up for $900. The front shock is a Judy SL which I put on and the hubs it came with (pulstar) are smoother than a babies . . . Good all around bike and I should know because I've been through 4 bikes withing the last 2 years.

Roger ihatehuns Cooper   cross-country rider [Mar 08, 1998]

This bike is superb, I bought it 2 years ago and I still cannot believe the quality of the frame. I on;y wish that there was a supplier to the U.K. for these wonders of U.S. technology......Thanks.
I hate the hubs and have subsequently replaced them.
The bike is now getting a bit rusty, so it's off to have a respray.5*+

Niklas Jonsson   cross-country rider [Oct 17, 1997]

It´s not much to say. The best bike I ever been riding.

Jesus Tijerina   cross-country rider [Aug 18, 1997]

Parkpre Pro 825

Dan   racer [Aug 17, 1997]

I rode and raced a 825 for more than two years. By the time I was done I had replaced most of the parts but I love (and miss) that frame. The biggest complaint - Park Pre the company - They have terrible service to the east coast. If they had better service I would probably still be racing a pPark Pre.