Pacific RIPTIDE Bike 1998 or Older

RIPTIDE

RIPTIDE

jeffdwier   Downhiller [Oct 05, 2009]
Strength:

very very long lifespan. good reliable parts

unavoidable obstacles due to age. i.e. rust, adjustments

I've had this bike ever since I got it as a birthday present when I was in second grade (yes it was big for me at the time but I grew into it). Now I am a freshman in college and I still ride it everywhere. And it's not like I let it sit in the garage the whole time, oh no, from kindergarten to 8th grade the kids in my town (including me) rode their bikes to school everyday no matter what time of year. I replaced the rear nuts with screw on pegs and everyone hijacks my bike since it can squeeze on a 2nd rider so it can handle a heavy load even after years of use. The gears need some adjusting and maintenance in the long run though, but that's nothing too serious. All in all, best bike ever!

Matt McDermott   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2006]
Strength:

super light, great price. good components but couldnt hurt to upgrade. i upgraded many of the components and its a solid rig now.

not too many, ran into very few problems with this bike during regular use, but stock parts couldnt stand up to excessive urban beating.

this was my dad's bike since the early 90s. i recently inherited it and started upgrading the components on it. turned into a mad good urban assault bike and has treated me very very well. beats up many of my friend's thousand dollar bikes as far as performance and ride-abilty goes. i upgraded the brakes on it to clamp style cantilevers because the stock brakes were a tiny bit lacky but other then that all of the stock components were wonderful.
take a look at my bike's page if you want to see what a Riptide looks like when its modded into an urban assault rig.

Joe   cross-country rider [Nov 11, 1998]

I got the Pacific brand Riptide today and it ROCKS! The Riptide has:SIS crank, SIS front and rear dereullers, SIS shifters, Shimano V-brake levers(built into the SIS shifters), and non-shimano V-brakes(VERY GOOD).Ok. I'll rate the induvidual parts out of five:Shifting:4
Braking:5
Weight:3
Climbing:4

Justin Galbraith   Weekend Warrior [Mar 29, 2000]
Strength:

Great bike. Awsome speed. Only 199.99. Good quality. Great brakes and shifting. Good for beginners.

Not very durable.

Great bike. Good for riding around town. You may want to install a suspension seat post if you are in crosscountrying.

Similar Products Used: None.
Dave Lano   [Feb 02, 2000]
Strength:

The shifting is great
Very light
Awesome brakes

For the pice it's awesome but It's not very durable.

I put 1000's of miles on this bike. Great for the price