Orange C16r Bike 1998 or Older

Orange C16r Bike 1998 or Older

Orange C16r

[Mar 12, 2013]
Simon

Strength:

My C16r was a warranty replacement for a Clockwork frame that rusted (after approx 27,000 miles!). I have ridden it since new in 1997...I still use the original Clockwork handlebars but pretty much the rest of the components have been replaced at some point or another.

After 15 years of regular use, I figured it might be due a mid-life overhaul and have just acquired a set of near-new 1997 vintage Marzocchi Bomber suspension forks. Eventually these will take a hydraulic disc brake...but there is no rush to upgrade...however, it did get me thinking...has anyone added a rear hydraulic disc to a C16r?

Fails to trigger spending to replace for later bike. Is that a weakness?

Suits me...interested to see how it handles with front suspension forks.

[Apr 06, 2010]
Dismal

Strength:

Robust, light, steel feel

I was a complete fool to sell this bike (recently)... Even all these years later.... it is/was light, fast and perfect, I should have put wider bars on and some modern rubber... and then i bet i would never have sold it.... aarrrrr!!! :-( It is as good as anything i have ever ridden.

kona kilauea, Kona UNIT

[Jun 24, 2009]
andy goldie

Strength:

Very robust bike, looks cool in the face of more modern cycles and a very stable ride on the road or in the mud

Too cool looking for it's own good - makes it a temptation for the thieving fraternity

Bought the bike in 1996 and rode it to and from work weekdays and off road at the weekend until some spineless opportunist decided to 'liberate' it in 2005 - ironically the police arrived at my front door three nights ago (nearly four years after it was stolen) to say they'd apprehended a youth and believe the bike he was riding was mine, I haven't picked it up yet but am going to put my Orange G2 at the back of the house when it arrives - can't wait!

Claude Butler

[Jan 06, 2007]
Darryl

Strength:

Well where do i start. What a great bike, i have ridden this bike hard as hell for the last 11 years! It has been jumped, downhill-ed in competition here in the UK and travelled to Morzine in the French Alps twice. I used it in the first 4x event in the UK, and it has raced countless 24hour enduro's and X country races. It started off in 1996 as an Orange c16 RS with XT and Judy DH's. Lovely lively handling, the forgiving steel frame will get you out of most tricky situations With 80mm forks the front end gets a bit light for climbing real steep stuff but makes for a fantastic handling on downhills, and you can leap or manual over most obsticles I have just set it up with 63mm forks and it has not really affected the handling that much at all, steers a little better if anything. Lovely trustworthy bike, will always remain a favorite!

Fantastic Solid bike, go anywhere, do anything!

Orange P7 xt, Vit T2 xtr

[Apr 27, 2003]
Jonny

Strength:

For £660 a great alround bike which loves the challenge of anything you throw at it! Take it on the road or down a big forest track and you'll have a great ride. Anyone who wants a good bike which is capable of almost anything should think about getting one, shame they stopped selling them! It you can find a second-hand one that is in good condition i'd advise you to think about purchasing it.

I'm still looking!

If you want a great bike which loves been riden, then get one. I was amased how great it was the first time i took it out and it still amases me today. The boys at orange really know how to make a great rider!

[Mar 15, 2007]
Bob

Strength:

Excellent geometry and build. Classic looks

Light front end when climbing. Needs to be ridden with respect (but is this a weekness) ?

Top bike. Rode everyday. Infact this bike was so good and looked in such top condition that it caught the eye of some THEIVING scum chav that jumped over a SIX foot fence and 4 other gardens to get it. It might be gone, but Im still about and that person should still keep an eye looking behind them...................

[Jan 06, 2000]
Robert Hansen
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Beast of a frame that handles anything you throw at it. Lively, skippy and comfy

An absolutely blinding bike recommended to XC demons and trail hackers alike.

[Apr 03, 2001]
Nick Reiter

Strength:

Superb, indestructible frame: I have had it for over 5 years; I use the original wheels (except for a replacement rear rim) for off road and a lightweight pair with thin tyres for on-road commuting. Every time I think I might be ready for a new bike I just give my C16R an extra good wash and ride it - and come back thinking it does everything I could want of it. Slap a rack on it and you can even tour on it. It is os versatile it would suit just about any rider. Good choice of sizes.

The transfers peeled off within a couple of months - who cares! Some riders may want to experiment with different stems. The seat tube diameter means that the choice of seat posts may be limited, and I did have some initial trouble with my post slipping, which I solved with a shim.

Surely a classic! I may one day treat myself to a new bike, but I will NEVER sell my C16R : through all the fads and fancies of the past half-decade, it remains a bike that cries out to be ridden anywhere. Magic.

various: diamond back, specialized, etc. : all hardtails.

[Oct 20, 2000]
Mark

Strength:

Quick, fast and strong

Are there any? Oh, some of the stickers have come off!

Great for XC, twisty trails and you can still chuck a rack on for multi-day stuff.

After an Ali rigid this bike was sheer bliss. I now have a Specialized FSR XC as well. But still prefer the Orange for a fast thrash on forest single track.

Shame they have retired it, at least the P7 is still about.

Claud Butler Ali frame, too hard.
Marin Elridge grade.

[Oct 06, 1999]
Jonathan

Strength:

A truly excellent steel frame, which has survived 3 1/2 years under my not so light body. No real difference in ride between this and the P7. Massive amounts of mud clearance, stiff, and comfortable. Earlier Clockwork frames had a habit of rusting internally. I waxoyled mine, and it still survives today. Anyone who only rides aluminium frames shoud give their backsides a rest and try a steel frame.

The original brazed on seat binder lugs were not parallel, but a local frame builder took them off, and I fitted a later stainless steel clamp. Problem solved

Replaced only by a marin Pine Mountain frame bought at a knock down price of £140. The Orange beats the Marin on mud clearnce, but the Marin is Prestige, and the difference tells