Nuke Proof Ti Frame Bike 1998 or Older

Nuke Proof Ti Frame

Stu   [Nov 14, 2012]
Strength:

precise handling, neutral weighting, frame + fork really provide nice comfort and the rear triangle is stiff and snappy.

it is no flyweight but it is certainly NUKEPROOF!!!!

It is now November 14, 2012, just about 13 years past my first review. Here’s my take: The Nuke remains my all time favorite. Yes we have loads of travel these days and super trick FS x-crountry rides but I was a big rider from 1986-2000. Back in da day - we basically rode for hours at a time and during our rides something would break. Most of the time our basic bikes could be fixed. But improvision was almost always necessary. That said, my ol Nuke still rides like a charm and never breaks down.....I said in my past review “I’ll be riding this for the next 10 yrs”. I can gladly say I have been riding this bike since 1998 so I am going to revise my statement. I’ll be riding this bike into the sunset!

signalMTB   Racer [Apr 10, 2011]
Strength:

titanium, beautiful welds, solid

very rare to find, very fine craftsmanship, ti welds are great. this bike has never disappointed me, top tube is a little shorter than I like on an 18" frame, but nothing to be concerned about. super light, geared and front suspension it was right at 22lbs, so now I'm running rigid SS, so probably sub 20 lbs. if you can ever find one, especially with the cockroach headbadge intact, buy it!

Similar Products Used: many many other bikes
k carter   Racer [Sep 12, 2010]
Strength:

beautiful frame , light , great welds reliable , great all around bike.

i did actually break one , although i caught a large sink hole into corner of curbing with the rear wheel riding late one night, never saw coming unable to avoid, [ but nuke proof stood behind the product and i had the frame sent back and got back like new. : }

This has been a great bike i still love to ride it although i do not race regularly any longer , is still fast on single track , bombs downhill , light wait , strong . and made in the usa. u gotta love it.

Similar Products Used: merlin , litespeed
Defiant32   Cross Country Rider [Mar 19, 2010]
Strength:

great welds, lovely handling, nice and comfortable

Great rider.
I have one from the Nuke Proof build frames, not the Litespeed early frames.
I am getting it back into the original setup.

Similar Products Used: Fat Chance Titanium, Serotta TiMax, Serotta ATX, Ibis Mojo, Setotta TMax, Pearson, Nishiki, Ritchey P20 etc
MK   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2008]
Strength:

See next box.

Product Review update. Not long after my review in 1999 this frame broke at the down tube/head tube weld. Sent it back to (not)Nuke Proof for repair, the company went out of business and I never saw the frame again! sh!tty stuff. I should have had it welded in Phx.

No more company!!!

Ron   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2006]
Strength:

Lightweight
Compliant
Great looking frame

No longer made
A tad twitchy but OK with new fork

The old fork was a bit twitchy on this frame. A taller fork was what the doctor ordered. I've owned this frame for 10 years now and still love the ride. It's light yet rugged.

Glenn O   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2000]
Strength:

Strong, light, forgiving, clean welds (done by hand I understand) A downright beautiful frame.

No longer made/hard to find...don't know where I would go for customer support if I needed it.

If you can find this frame, buy it. Period. It will probably be a bit cheaper than newer litespeeds or merlins and I believe it is of comparable quality. It is a comfy ride that climbs so easily. Some say that flex is a problem but I haven't noticed it. Titanium is a better material than steel aluminum and probably carbon too. And it is nice to know that I will never buy another bike again. Five firey poohs.

Similar Products Used: Tried Litespeeds, Merlins, the Kona Hei Hei, and the Mongoose 10.7 before deciding on the nuke.
B. Raras   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 1999]
Strength:

Very Light Frame.
Nice Craftsmanship.
Climbs like a Rocket.
Practically Indestructible.

Why you stop making it?

The bike is excellent. I have had it for a long time and it has given me no troubles. It climbs the steepest of trails with ease. At the same time it is a decent downhiller too. The frame is very stiff but it wont kill your bones. There is very little flex when climbing. Finally, you'll look great riding it. It's a real head turner.

Similar Products Used: Litespeed
Merlin
Bridgestone MB-1
Raleigh
David   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 1999]
Strength:

Light frame 3.4;
Very soft ride yet does not rob you of your energy.

the bottom line is that this frame is a classic. Vintage North Eastern setup (For me anyway). Frame is a hair larger than what I ride normally. Shortened the stem to 110 and It has increased my confidence in the handling of the bike. To think I got this bike through MTBR's classifieds for $500! The guy had it dismantled under his bed for months. This is definately a shout out to MTBR. Thanks.