Novarra Arriba Bike 1998 or Older

Novarra Arriba

Eric Beatty   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 1999]
Strength:

Great Shock! The RockShox Jett XC is the most responsive one in this price range that I tried out. The Shimano LX (Rear) and Alivio (Front) Derailleurs work well with the SunTour crankset. The Tektro brakes are AWESOME! Super responsive and really grabby.

I wish the shifters were Shimano STX RC or higher, but--hey--for the price I settled with the Alivio's. I think the only other thing would be the saddle. Is there really any company that doesn't put a crappy saddle on their bikes? They all know we're just going to change them to what we like.

For the price, I won't have gone with anything else. At present, I'm just a weekend warrior. But I'm looking at starting to do some entry level competition. And the Novara Arriba is what's going to take me there.

Similar Products Used: I have tested bikes from Diamondback to Voodoo and everything in between. In the five to six hundred dollar price range this bike was the best I found. I also liked the Marin Bear Valley, but the Manitou shock didn't feel as good as the RS.
scott   Racer [May 24, 2000]
Strength:

Strong frame with nice flex.

1 1/4 inch diameter headtube

I absolutely loved this bike. I rode it hard for about 4 years and raced it for 2 seasons. It wasn't the lightest bike but still came in at about 25 lbs (which I didn't think was bad for an older steel frame). It was solid when I needed rigidity on climbs but flexed great when I was moving downhill. I think I upgraded everything from the original LX lineup that the bike came with. But the original setup was great itself. REI is a great company to work with, I stripped the original stem and rigid fork on my first couple of rides, and they hooked me up with better quality stuff for their cost (not much at all). The only trouble I ran into with the frame was the 1 1/4 inch diameter head tube. I bought a manitou efc which was nice in 96/97, but when I wanted (not needed, the shock still works great) to upgrade, I couldn't find a shock with the right diameter steer tube. But I loved the bike regardless. I'll give it 5 Flamin Chilis.

Similar Products Used: schwinn homegrown ht
David   [May 13, 1998]

I've ridden several Mtn. Bikes as demos, but my Arriba was the first one I bought. I've owned it for about 3 years and have gotten a lot of pretty gnarly
use out of it. I mostly do rolling hills and climbing and she's been
really reliable. The negatives I've encountered include: the chain that came
with it was damaged after about 3 weeks. I was almost stranded after a long
day of distance biking and while the chain held (by a thread) I was pretty sketched. After going with a different chain, she ran fine. The derailers
sometimes give me grief because as soon as you re-adjust them, they want
to stray and when I'm looking for quick performance on the fly, it can
get frustrating to have it rattling on without changing gears. Really that's
the only pain I've had. It's held up in 12 inch deep mud, rocky terrain,
and really violent downhills and has always brought me home in one piece
(minus the bruises and scrapes that go with the ride)even as a road bike on day long up-hill treks (though no where near the performance of a real road bike).
The price was really fair, too. My riding buddies comment on the deal that
I got out of my Arriba for all of the perks that came with it. I've considered
upgrading, but haven't been able to justify it with the performance I'm
getting from my bike. I would recommend it to any beginner who plans on
transitioning to a more seasoned biker. It will carry you beyond your
beginning experiences and into some more reckless rides for a while before you
have to upgrade.

Tori Falardeau   weekend warrior [Jan 10, 1999]

I bought my Arriba while in Anchorage, Alaska last summer. I bought it used, and got a wicked deal on it. I have had no problems with this bike except for the gear shifts, which don't shift as smoothly as I wish they would. The bike is about three years old, and it's in awesome condition. I think that REI really has found a niche with a great product for minimal cash. I would definitely reccommend it to anyone looking for a great bike.

David Baker   weekend warrior [Jul 11, 1998]

I bought an Arriba 5 years ago and I'm still riding it, dagnabit! And it don't
have none o' these here fancy suspension thingees, or any of them Y-frames
whatayacallums... and I love it! Now back when I was a kid, we walked
10 miles to school, uphill both ways.... blah blah
But seriously, a great bike, solid components, and I got it for about $400
on sale at REI. And with the $1000 I didn't spend on something better, I
took it around the Italian lakes a bit... so no arguments.

Neil Grossman   Weekend Warrior [Aug 09, 2003]
Strength:

New to mountain bikes and love the bike. I am thrilled to have gotten such a great bike for $150.00.

Now that I'm getting into mountain biking, I'm sorry I didn't search out a bike with suspension.

Has anyone upgraded to suspension and at what price for this bike. Is it worth it?

Lindac   weekend warrior [Jan 29, 1998]

Like Ryan, I've been riding this bike for 2 years and love it. The price was great - under $600. For the money, top chillies! I've upgraded pedals (Ritchey) and tires, but other than that, it is a mighty fine bike out of the box. The frame is a good solid (though not overly heavy) Tange steel with STX components. The damn thing won't quit so I can't buy a fancier bike. Hats off to REI for making such a good affordable bike.

Ryan Heath   weekend warrior [Jan 26, 1998]

This was my first real Mountain Bike and I have to say that I have loved it. I have owned the Bike for
two years it has been great to me. I have beat on it as hard as I can through all the rugged mountians of
Utah and the amazing terrain of MOAB!. It has held up to all the punnishment and is still going strong. I
would upgrade the Tires and put V-brakes on it but other than that it has been a great bike for the
money ($530.00). After two years though I have outgrown the bike. So I am upgrading to a GT LTS-1.
I now hunger for full suspension. But if you are a beginner and want a great bike for the money this is
for you.