Nishiki Colorado Bike 1998 or Older

Nishiki Colorado Bike 1998 or Older

Nishiki Colorado

[May 13, 2011]
baconboy

Strength:

shifters

cables under tube

I've had this bike for about 16 years and have raplaced the tires once and I need a new seat now. I love this bike, my brother in colorado bought one on my recommendation and loves his too. any weekend warrior would really love this bike.

[May 11, 2011]
BARTMAN73

Strength:

PRICE, TOUGHNESS DURABILITY

DERAILER SKIPS AT TIMES

i BOUGHT THIS BIKE IN 1995 BC I WAS GETTING THE MOST BIKE FOR THE MONEY. THE FIRST TIME I RODE IT I CRASHED IT ON THE WAY BACK TO MY CAR AND ENDED UP NEEDING A NEW FRONT RIM, NEW FRONT SUSPENSION AND NEW BRAKES. BUT EVER SINCE THEN THE BIKE AS A WHOLE GIVES ME NO PROBLEMS. I JUST BOUGHT SOME USED ROCK SHOCK JUDYS TO UPGRADE MY R21'S BC THEY FINALLY FAILED AFTER 16 YEARS. YES...THAT'S 16 YEARS OF HARD RIDING AND THIS THING IS STILL GOING. I WAS GOING TO FINALLY UPGRADE BUT DECIDED TO JUST KEEP THIS FRAME AND SWITCH OUT SOME COMPONENTS TO BRING IT UP TO 2011. GREAT BIKE AND I CERTAINLY GOT MY MONEYS WORTH!!!

TREK

[Dec 02, 2010]
Lars

Strength:

Great value for the price
Attractive Aesthetics
100 mm Fork with Preload and Lockout
Disc Brakes
24 Speeds
SRAM-X4 Shifters and Derailleur
Wider Handlebars
WTB Saddle

Cromoly Frame?
Cables run along bottom of top tube

A really great bike for the money. When choosing b/n this bike and a comparable bike typically priced at $400+ (i.e., Specialized Hardrock, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 4300) this bike was the obvious choice. Everything works very smoothly and it's very easy to ride. I only wish the cables were placed along the top of the top-tube instead of the bottom because it would work better with my car's bike rack, but no biggy. Also, I'm not sure whether the frame is chromoly or aluminum, but it seems to weigh about the same as my 6061 aluminum Flightline..

Univega Alpina
Haro Flightline
Specialized Rockhopper

[Aug 24, 2010]
ras

overall I really like this bike. I have only put just about 100 miles on it so far but it is alot of fun to ride. I ride alot on roads and smooth trails but I do ride the occasional rough section. I did a 70 mile road trip on it one day and found that I need higher handlebars or a steeper angle riser. The front derailer will occasionally stick the chain between the big ring and the middle one but if I just keep peddalling smoothly while shifting then it doesn't seem to happen at all. The lockout front fork does get very stiff when locked out but will still depress if you push hard enough. The seat is excellent and so far I really like the disc brakes. I am 5'11" and got the medium(18") frame and it fits well with the exception of the handlebar height which can be corrected for the cost of a few more relatively cheap parts. The tires seemed to work very well when I went trail riding in loose gravel and loam and some wet grass on a steep slope. So far I like this bike alot for the money.

[Aug 22, 2010]
Vic from LIFT.

Strength:

shifters and suntour shocks

hmm.. the stock rims are weak.. the first 3 days i had it I had to have the crank replaced due to it bending when the chain popped, ive gone through a new back rim because I bunny hopped on the side walk and severley bent the rim and popped the tires and i rode down some stairs and bent the bars a little.. when I got it back i hot the dirt trails and the right pedal stripped the threads on the crank and now im waiting to get the crank arm replaced...

i bought this bike because it had raving reviews... its been in the shop for more days then ive had it...

[Aug 22, 2010]
Muddy44

Strength:

good entry level mtb

plastic pedals

good entry mtb...not as light as a more expensive bike but for the price it was a good purchase. It also came with rapid fire shifters which are much better than grip shifters.

specialized hardrock

[Jun 27, 2003]
Daniel

Strength:

Very good bike. Bought it a year late and on special, thats the reason for the low price.

Front forks (no suspension) started to flatten and bend up after 3 years of on and off road riding.

A pretty damn sweet bike!!

[Oct 02, 2001]
r.c. applegate

Strength:

reliability,
light weight,
price

This is a 1989 Nishiki Colorado that has over 2500 hard hours on it. It has lasted me so far 12 year. Other than tune-ups, tires and innertubes, and one seat I have had no problems or any reasons to put more money into it. I still anticipate a few more years use out of it, and then I'll purchase another nishiki.

[Jul 31, 2006]
Todd Young

Strength:

I bought this bike in 1989 and in 2006 it is still going strong. Granted I have gone throught he normal replacement parts (tires, brake shoes, grips, saddle, etc) over the years, but the bike itself and Shimano gear system / brakes are still as good as they ever were.

No real problems to report...just expected wear and tear from use.

This was an excellent bike for the money, and for the cost of an equivalent bike today it was one of the best purchases I ever made. She's held up very well over the last 17 years and with proper maintenance she'll last me indefinitely. Short of any serious damage I see no reason why I would ever need another bike. If you see one for sale at a decent price...grab it...$$ well spent.

N/A

[Mar 18, 2001]
Henry Barron

Strength:

--price
--aluminum frame
--great entry level MTB

--some components like caged pedals

Great bike for the money. This is actually a Raleigh M-80 in Nishiki Clothing. The sales person told me that Raleigh acquired Nishiki (back in 98) and this frame was the same as the M-80. I didn't believe him, so I went to a Raleigh dealer and took notes on the components, frame, etc. It was actually the same bike, (even made in America!!). If I remember correctly some components were a little different, however, the frame was identical just different paint and logo.

I've recently upgraded the pedals, but overall this bike is great. I recommend it to anyone starting out, or wanting to upgrade.

93 Raleigh Aluminum Frame MTB about $500 back then