Motiv Groundpounder Bike 1998 or Older

Motiv Groundpounder Bike 1998 or Older

Groundpounder

[Apr 07, 2011]
Tim

Strength:

Smooth ride. VALUE.

None so far.

I bought this bike before long ride I was going on in PA. I'v had this bike for about 16 years. The only parts I have had to replace was the derailler after the hanger broke and it flew into the spokes of the back tire. Im not a hard core rider but this bike has done a great job for me.

[Jan 19, 2011]
livefortheoutdoors
Downhiller

Strength:

My dad bought this monster back in the 80's, and it still rides better then any bike i've had. i've ridden specialized, cannondale, and mongoose. i grew up with those brands. But when my dad pulled out this bike, some components were rusty but usable, so i put about $20 into it, and voila! the most reliable bike i've ever had.

requires adjustment before any long ride, and also lubricant on the chain is a MUST. all parts are original.

Nothing like i've ever ridden. it's obvious they don't make things like they used to. I look forward to taking it from victoria gardens to la verne next weekend.

Mongoose, Specialized, cannondale

[Nov 11, 2008]
dmn62

Strength:

Everything! My Ground Pounder has been in use since 1988. It still has original derailers and brake assemblies. Hav never had one problem. The rims have stayed pretty true, with the occasional tightening here and there. Gripsand handlebars ar original.

None. Just wish I could put disc brakes on it. And it does not have any shock absorbtion (front or back).

This has been the best mountain bike I have ever owned. I am concidering selling it though. I am getting older now and the softer ride does sound appealing. I also have a Gary Fisher. It rides nice, but just does not compare to my Motiv Ground Pounder. It just has the perfect fit for my long legsand arms. I still ride it from time to time. It is just so light weight and comfortable it is hard to stay off of. Maybe I should just keep it for the memories and future when it is completely out of date.

Gary Fisher.

[May 09, 2001]
steve

Strength:

inexpensive, good quality (for the $), not bad components, and lasts forever!!

rear derailer had minor trouble after 3 years,

Excellent entry level bike!! of course now it is secondary to my full-suspension, but i can't say more good things about this inexpensive quality bike. great for the beginner or for a college student who is going to ride quite a bit, and not want to worry about upkeep of the bike. i've had mine for almost 7 years and the only problem i had was that minor rear derailer, which cost $40 to fix. i also need a new crank, but that was my fault after going off a 5 foot drop on a $200 bike. i would recommend this bike to anyone who wants a good quality bike at a very reasonable price!

GT LTS full-suspension (not similar, but it's what i ride now)

[Aug 14, 2005]
daniel

Strength:

inexpensive, strong frame, very durable

grip shifters tend to break, and the derailers arent't high performance, but I push my bike to the limit.

Great starter bike, I have used mine for 2 1/2 years, have 800 miles on it, and it still works. If you just want a bike, this is a good one. If you really want performance parts, you may have to look elsware. I have destroyed the rear derailer 4 times when I tried to petal hard when I thought it was done shifting, but that was my fault. This thing stands up to a lot of abuse, and when I push down on the petals, I flex the frame and the spokes, but it hasent given me much trouble other that that. And one thing worth noting is that motive has excellent customer service. They have sent me a part twice for free, and event paid for shipping. I'd definetly by this bike again.

[Dec 05, 1998]
R. Clayton
cross-country rider

Last year my wife gave me a Motiv Groundpounder,she thought I needed an inexpensive hobby. It is a beutiful yellow fade to green and has recieved many compliments even when surrounded by much more expensive bikes. It has never let me down as an entry level bike: the frame and fork suppport my weight while aligning my wheels and components. It seems to be a notch above the HuffyMagnaPacific bikes I have seen and make fun of. The stx and alivio wheel have performed the task they were designed to, inexpensively. I now have a full-suspension Specialized which I love but I will always be grateful that I was introduced to such a great sport by an unintimidating, unpretensious, reliable bike. That's what entry level bikes are intended for and why I think it deserves 4 stars.

[Nov 04, 2006]
Michael

Strength:

Good bike for riding on the road. Front and rear suspension(Not very good, but it still helps).

Pretty heavy, but thats what you get with a $200 bike. Tires suck and can't grip at all. Grip shifter.

The Ground Pounder is great for begginers or easy trail riding, but it is pretty much a very bulky and heavy road bike with a full suspension made to look like a mountain bike. It is great for riding on streets and on easy, smooth trails, but it was never ment to be going on rough trails.