Mongoose SX 6.5 Bike 1998 or Older

SX 6.5

Mongoose SX 6.5

mistersean86   Cross Country Rider [Aug 29, 2009]
Strength:

The frame geometry makes for a very stiff, effective climber. The frame is also pretty light. The components it came with were decent, but eventually got upgraded. Except for the tektro brakes, which I'm still running. I have to say something about the front wheel (Wheel Master I believe) I still have it on after 8 years. Never tacoed. Can't say the same for the rear.

The climbing geometry made for a very endo-prone machine, however, I remedied that with a shorter stem and better riding technique. Non-replaceable deraileur hanger.

A great XC bike. This has been my trusty steed that got me into the sport and continues to get me through any trails I put it on. Eventually when the rear deraileur hanger breaks I'll buy a newer frame (maybe a dual suspension), but it doesn't seem like that will be any time soon. If you can find one grab it, They're probably cheaper than dirt. It's awesome for XC, and can handle light freeride/downhill, but don't expect it to keep up with a $2000+ bike. Except for XC I've proven that it is very capable of doing that.

OVERALL
carbonfiber dude   Weekend Warrior [Oct 16, 2000]
Strength:

solid frame, stx-rc deraileur works just fine if you are not an extreme biker. the bike handles great and is able to absorb most of the bumps.

bike is heavy, lousy seat , lousy tires(kenda crisp)
cheap plastic pedals

well, it is a well worth it bike considering the components etc stx rc/ alivio, the tektro brakes were good.
but the bike's a bit heavy compared to other hardtails.
and change the lousy seat and tires and shock.
if you are just planning to go into mtb this is the bike to train on. it's tough enough.