Mongoose Rockadile SX Bike 1998 or Older

Rockadile SX

Mongoose Rockadile SX

William   [Aug 22, 2014]
Strength:

I agree with MT Nato a Weekend Warrior. I first got my 96 in 1996 while working at Bell/Mongoose. The frame is rock solid and the gussets and welds are fabulous. I have over 30K or road and dirt miles on that frame and it is still strong. Many of those miles had been put on in the mountains of Santa Cruz and Lake Tahoe.

However, the shifting components at the time had not been so great so after 2 months I but on a SRAM ESP 7.0 gripshift kit (still on to this day). Got rid of the weak brakes and slapped on some Maguro Hydraulics (bright yellow) and some MTB Spinergy Wheels (4 Spoke Carbon). Left the grank set except the rear cassette which I swapped out for a more rangier Sachs.

Killer bike if you can get one before Bell sold Mongoose to Brunswick and took the line down hill into the BIG BOX Stores.

MT Nato   Weekend Warrior [May 09, 2014]
Strength:

Light weight , Strong frame.

Factory front shocks (Manitou 5) sucked. Upgraded the brakes shortly after.

I bought my Mongoose Rockadile SX new in 1996 from Bicycle Alley in Worcester MA. I paid $859.46. I still have the original paper work. I test rode a Trek and the 17.5 frame SX. I liked the grip shift and looks of the SX ( chrome with blue and white stickers). I had them raise the handle bars a bit with spacers , I felt like I was leaning to far forward for comfort. The first upgrade was a set of Judy Rock Shox. Then new brakes and a Rock Shock seat post. I just recently bought new tires, after 16 years 2000 miles the originals had dry rot. I used to ride more aggressively now its mainly flats. The bike has been abused, its also given me stitches. I could buy a new MTN bike but Why?

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox
chris   Cross Country Rider [Aug 27, 2007]
Strength:

Mega tough frame. awesome tyres, the tread is great for sand/dirt and after more than 5 years they havent worn out

I bent that crankshaft but i think it was more a rider issue :) Pedal locking nut has fallen off. caused me a half hour ride home with 1 pedal. $1.50 to fix but i needed grease and a lot of muscle to get it back tight again. steering column is slowly coming loose..........Forks havent got enough travel

Fantastic frame, really takes a beating, has a good centre of gravity. tyres and brakes last forever (5+ years). The forks need to be longer and for a 21 speed the gearing is a bit all over the place. I highly recommend the bike to people jsut getting into it. fantastic for dirt riding and light downhill. not the greatest for dirt jumping or drops because of forks but its an awesome offroad/road bike......best buy for the money

Similar Products Used: giant stp2
Gary Ostergaard   Weekend Warrior [Mar 04, 2002]
Strength:

Frame, components

ugly paint - purple

I bought my Rockadile back in 96 from a pawn shop for $100 bucks. It was pretty beat up but I took it to a bike shop and they replaced the cables and gave it a tune up. I don't know how old it was, it just jumped out at me because it had a good set of components and who could go wrong for $100? I usually ride the same set of trails and I've ridden 5 different bikes on the same trails. The Rockadile was absolutely the best dang bike of them all. Best climber, best downhill, best shifting, best braking, and best riding, hands down! Dumbest thing I ever did was to let that one go, I wish I still had it. Out of the bikes I've ridden and owned this one gets a 5 all around.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Raleigh, Diamond Back, GT
Mike   Weekend Warrior [Nov 05, 2001]
Strength:

Timeless Looks, Integrity, Workmanship, Materials, Handling

Tioga Tires BLOW!!! Get a set of Ritcheys. Also the stock forks are bit weak.

For the money, you can't go wrong...but sadly, I won't get another Mongoose (at least a new one) since they aren't really Mongooses any more. You can't really beat a hardtail, especially if you're over 200lbs. I'm going a slightly different route by saying that I have actually taken great care of this bike and it has served me well, but I'm sort of catching full suspension fever. If you can find one for $250 like some of these guys, you're getting a great bike! How can you not give this bike 5 chilis--try finding a bike now for that money that has the same look and quality...you can't!

Similar Products Used: NA
John   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2006]
Strength:

Rigid Ride, good geometry.

Stock Parts need to go.

Great frame, I bought this as a complete bike, switching out the fork immediately. The rest of the components came gradually. I upgraded to a new frame and sold the frame to a buddy who used for 6 years. The new frame cracked and became a wall decoration, so I got the frame back from my buddy and rebuilt the bike - wow! The frame is still in tip-top shape and the ride is still what I remember. I recommend this frame to any intermediate rider who has good components or can find one for cheap to build up.

Kelly Matheson   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 22, 1999]
Strength:

I really to like the frame, it has a smooth ride and it handles as well as I have ever used. In addition to off road, it has been a great commuter with slicks.

It tends to be sluggish when shifting. I have been caught several times where it will not shift down quick enough. Perhaps un upgrade is in order.

Great frame, it is definately a keeper. I think with a little money it could be a great bike for the worst conditions.

Similar Products Used: I previously owned two Raleighs, and they were not as comfortable to ride.
José Manuel Delgado   cross-country rider [Jul 15, 1997]

I choose this bike from a bunch of 3 bikes: the Mongoose, Gary Fisher Montare and a red Specialized M1. All came with almost the same componets: Avid Brakes, Manitou Pro SX and other cool stuff...The Montare was the lightest (my friend was a mate gray one, darn thing looks like it came from a Wal-Mart or Toys'R US: IT SUCKS!!!)...but the Goose was the only one that came in a polished finish...I LOVE IT!!! It handles like a dream...I rode the other two but the Rockadile blows the away! Only add end bars to it, change the shifters if you don't like the G.Shifts like me and get it to the nearest trail. I will race it next weekend. :) WEEEEEEEEPAAAAAA!!!(I gave it 4 chillies, 'cause nothig its perfect folks! Je je je)
MONGOOSE RULEZ ALL THE WAY!!!

djonko   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2001]
Strength:

strong frame, good geometry, weight of frame is acceptable
lx-rear der.

Weak components especially that poor sugino crank, heavy goose tires(garbage), paint on the frame.

Since '97 ,when I bought this bike,I changed every component beccause the bad quality.
The frame is very strong and it has a good geometry. It's also very stiff. 5 chili's for the frame and 3 chili's overall

Similar Products Used: GT zaskar/avalanche, Giant ATX/NRS
Manny   Weekend Warrior [Apr 14, 2001]

Bought the Rockadile SX new 4yrs. ago. Fell in love with it the moment I saw it at the bike shop. Once I rode it, I had to buy it. The Aluminum frame is great. Handles amazingly well on all types of riding. Have been upgrading components over the years as they wear out, and love the bike even more. It is like a fine aged wine. I had a Cannondale CAAD 3 frame bike I picked up cheap, and ended it up selling it after a few months for it doesn't compare to the Mongoose. It is a shame what happened with Brunswick buying Mongoose and ruining its reputation, but I stand behind my rig 100%. I'm not sure of their quality of bikes now, but my "97" Rockadile SX has been too hell and back. Crosscountry, Downhill, and Urban Assault riding. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.