Mongoose NX 7.5 Bike 1998 or Older

Mongoose NX 7.5

[Sep 23, 1998]
Jordan Newmiller
cross-country rider

This bike kicks serious ass in the cross country universe. I rode one of these with the gripshift on it and I felt like I was in heaven. The bike cannot be beat by any of the other so-called serious cross-country bikes. This is the way to go for all your cross country needs. The frame is kind of hard to size for, but my 19.5 inch NX 7.5 performs well and fits my body nicely. Get the Mongoose, it's worth it!

[May 13, 1998]
Tom
cross-country rider

Has anyone ridden an NX8.1 w/dual suspension? I am looking at the NX8.1, Canondale V500 and Specialized FSR and would appeciate any comments or comparisons-I'm not interested in racing, just weekend trail riding. I rode each briefly at a LBS and can't really tell much difference. Feel free to e-mail me. Thanks

[Oct 27, 2000]
Mick

Strength:

Value for money, climbing ability and responsiveness.

Mongoose saddle and grips were crap and have been replaced. The Tektro brakes are not brilliant but go OK with decent pads (ie. Koolstops). The front shock (Jett) is more like a pogo stick than a shock absorber, but you get used to it. I'll probably upgrade the shocks to something better before too long.

This is a good value for money bike. I've had mine for just under two years and it is serving me well. It's strongest point is the way it climbs, important for someone who only rides a couple of times a weeks and is not super fit. With a better fork up front it would really shine.

Morian (rigid) MTB

[Oct 11, 2000]
Jason Pacey

Strength:

Great all around bike. Solid component group shimano and WTB parts package. Great color scheme. Holds up to a lot of abuse. Judy SL Shock can handle the abuse

Formula Disk brakes suck. I've switched to Hayes.

The bottom line is that this is a great mid-level mountain bike. I've rode it through the rocky and sandy deserts and mountains of the south west as well as the muddy, tight single track of the northern midwest. Its held its own with much higher end bikes.. A great deal for the price and parts package. I've completly abused this bike on trails and it has held up magnificently. Hey Mongoose. Nice job. Just work on getting some more championship riders to advertise these things.

Specialized Rock Hopper

[Nov 01, 1999]
Jeremy
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

quality frame, great components, price

not a big name, but who cares

I picked this bike off the clearance rack and I love it. Componentry I got would cost at least $900 - $1100 for a newer, big name bike. The frame kicks ass, very responsive. This shock isn't rated well here, as are most Rock Shox, but I've found to be quite adequate so far(I'm not small either at 195 lbs). The overall quality is great, I can practically smoke the tires when starting, and the componentry for the dollar is unbeatable. Go Mongoose!

Trek, C-dale, Raleigh

[Mar 14, 1999]
Dimitris
Cross-Country Rider

Well, my MONGOOSE NX 7.7 is perfect. I bought it 2 weeks ago and I have finally understood that mountains are flat ! It makes them flat.
I love it !

[Feb 28, 1999]
Tim
downhiller

I thought it was great, the handleing was awesome.....it took the hill and made it feel like i was riding on a flat surface....i really enjoyed it and i think if you really want a high quality bike, the mongoose NX 7.5 is for you....and even better it is at a reasonable price.

[Oct 24, 1998]
josh

i got a mongoose hooligan and if you want a stunt bike this is for you it has a nice sterdy fram that can take a beating i got front and rear pegs and this bike is easy to do anything on. i live on a dirt rode and this bike takes it like i were riding on glass.

[Oct 13, 1998]
Jt vages
weekend warrior

I have the 1999 mongoose vilain for freestye and let me tell you that's the best bike I have rode. I takes a good beating aspecaily on jumps and stuff like that.It's great for freestyle,it's even got rear pegs. Ever since I got the vilain it's been exelent riding I realy like it!

[Sep 08, 1998]
Dan Stewart
cross-country rider

Apollo Summit, I would never again buy anyhting from Apollo apart from the Raceline Extreme DH. All componentry break within the first 6 months. I am looking into buying Mongoose NX 8.1 but have since decided to go GT.
I can only suggest that you really look into the bikes and bike manufacturers befor making a skilled descision based on parts availability and servicing ease.