Mongoose GX A60 Bike 1998 or Older

Mongoose GX A60

Kelvin Goh   Weekend Warrior [Apr 13, 1999]
Strength:

Light-weight yet strong.
Responsive.

Tends to slide when braking.

After owning a LERUN bike, this takes the cake. It just needs an upgrade of the drivetrain and it'll be okay!

OVERALL
James Wright   cross-country rider [Mar 01, 1999]

I used to own a few crappy huffys. That is, until my friend and I went for a ride on a local trail. I didn't really like biking at the time because I didn't have a bike I could really enjoy it with. My friend Eric let me try his brand new Nishiki Cascade for half-mile or so down the trail. I realized how much fun it really was with an actual mountain bike. So, I bought a Mongoose MGX A60, that wasn't from Toys R us like my previous bikes. I really like it a lot. It has a nice aluminum frame that is light yet incredibly strong. It has handled all of my beginner abuse with no distress. The Manitou SX shocks are durable and not only provide a smooth ride, but keep my bike within control on those difficult trails. The only problems I've had were popped inner tubes,(not Mongoose's fault), and a broken chain,(my fault). Other than that it's a great bike. Now I really really enjoy the sport and am looking into racing next spring. Although I'm not that experienced, I am rapidly improving and am glad I bought the bike. Not to mention I got it brand new for half the retail price. I give it four stars instead of five for one reason, it didn't come with the greatest components-I am upgrading to Shimano XT's soon.

OVERALL