Mongoose D70R Bike 1998 or Older

Mongoose D70R Bike 1998 or Older

Mongoose D70R

[Jul 13, 2010]
mongoosed

Strength:

Solid, Smooth, Reliable

So I’m a little late reviewing this but I’ve recently started riding it again and have fallen back in love with it. I bought it about 10 years ago because I wanted something with dual suspension that wasn’t garbage but I didn’t have the dough to spend what the bike stores were charging. The D70r seemed like a strong value for 300 bucks. I rode it for many years down many trails both through the woods and on rail to trail systems.
It has always shifted crisply and has great balance and maneuverability. I’ve kept it stock because it has always met my needs. I was also lucky enough to have it assembled by a tech who worked part time at Dick’s and part time at the local bike shop.
My riding style has changed over the last 10 years. As marriage, mortgage and other responsibilities piled on the time for riding seemed to become harder to find. The bike ended up hanging from the ceiling of the garage for the last 5 years or so. I recently pulled it down along with my wife’s bike, put air in the tires and fired through all the gears again. My spark for this bike came rushing back. With daughter in tow I’ve put the kickstand on, added a head light and tail light as well as the trailer coupler. It has definitely taken on a new roll but it still looks good doing it. There are about 450 miles of trails under its tires so now we will see how many family miles will be added. There is a 15 mile ride coming up in a couple weeks so I’m looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

Diamondback

[Jun 12, 2003]
John

Strength:

Great welding, Great balanced rims and crank, Smooth steering.

Don't buy assembled from Wal-Mart again. Problems shifting, Wouldent shift in 24th gear. Took it to the bike shop to be fixed!

great bike for the buck! For sale, best offer! racecar406@yahoo.com , I can e-mail pictures

I still have my old "mongoose californian BMX "20 bike" (1988) Chrome frame and fork. Looks like new.

[Feb 16, 2002]
Gonff

Strength:

cheap cheap cheap, full-suspension

tires, rims, grips, and the front shock
but for the price you can

mine came a little bit rusted and scratched from walmart but it was cheap
great bike for people under a budget, also a good bike for up grading
replace the tires if you plan to off road, they are great in grass and on the road

mongoose d70r $300 this one kept braking and dick's sporting goods finally let me replace it
Mongoose hardluck replacemenbt bike, the chainstay was to close to the chain rings and caused problems returned

[Apr 01, 2007]
Adrian

Strength:

Good strong frame

Seat and Tires. Tires were cross country tires, so i replaced them with Bontrager Big Kahuna tires and replaced the seat.

Good solid ride for beginners

My first full suspension mountain bike

[Mar 18, 2007]
Evan Scooter
Downhiller

Strength:

My first true mountain bike. Great looks, all aluminum frame which is strong and light and it’s 24 speed. The style and coloring is great. Good price for a full suspension bike like this. I ride this bike hard and it can take it and has been taking it for 8 years. my friend always want to ride it. Bought this mongoose d70r in 1999 and it is March 2007 now, this bike is still running.

seat sucks, change it, I did, and it helped a lot. The tires are cross-country tires so I don’t know what they where doing on a mountain bike.

Good bike for the money. Gave it a 4 for overall rating because there are better off road bikes out there, but not for this price.

[Dec 28, 2001]
zach

Strength:

this bike is probably the best upgradable cheap bike around.
light, strong, almost anything that you would like in a bike.

people think that mongoose sucks.

If you love to upgrade, like myself, this is the best bike, partly because I have spent about $650 on this bike, and it matches and over takes most bikes that are in the $1000- $1200 range. period. I've tested and rented bikes such as trek fuels, sugars, stumpys, fsr's, almost any high-end dualies that you can think of. The mongoose matched them in basically ever category. Really the only bikes that suceed the mongoose are: the fisher sugar 3, and giant nrs series, really only because they are a couple of lbs. lighter. So as soon as you buy this bike, soup up the drivetrain, cockpit, brakes, and suspension, and man you are ready to go!

In other words, don't give in to the crap that mongoose takes, buy a GOOD mongoose and upgrade it. TRUST me you'll save money big time!

fisher, giant, treks, and specialized

[Sep 05, 2001]
Jonesy

Strength:

I love the brakeing and the speed. The style and color is great I added some confederate flag stickers for a bad ass look along with 2 pancer fire wall xt blue wall tires. I raced it about 10 times and my friend always wana ride. But I like it

I hate the tires that were on and the chain and rear derailer sucked along with the rear shox i replaced it with Fox Shock.

The bottom line is I love the bike and and the speed i get from the minor changes i made on it. I will keep raceing it and thats the bottom line

[Jun 10, 2001]
Trevor

Strength:

Frame, rear suspension, driveline, cheap full suspension bike, nice beginner bike, stifters

TIRES they are like slicks and have no traction
seat is uncomfortable

it is a good bike for the money, you only have to change a few things, nice suspension. If you are a beginner and see this bike in the store for under 300 buy it

[May 20, 2001]
Dave

Strength:

Great drive (but i repalced the deraillers), nice rims, dnm suspension is awesome for the price, nice color, strong and light frame.

tires (sprinting tires standard), Jett c fork is crap (broke it a week after buying bike), promax v's can't work well when wet

For a cheap-ass bike, it's great. Not good for extreme riding (eg. large drops). Once the jett c is gone, it's not a bad bike. People just see mongoose and think that its horrible. I have basically the same bike except for the frame as my friend with a $700 GT Backwoods. I just ride, and i'm damn well proud of it!

Sorry i can't give it a five for overall, because of the jett c fork and the tires.

specialized rockhopper, gt backwoods

[Jun 03, 2001]
A Biker fastman

Strength:

front shock, brakes

shifter, Pedals, TIRES!!!!!!

I own this bike, and it is sweet. I was almost goin' to have
to settle for some cheapo, peice of junk bike. Then I saw this bike for almost the same price. I got it and it has held up good. At first the saddle seamed stiff, but I rode it, and it's comfy now. It's great for technical stuff.
The tires stunk. All I used them for was skidding 360s.
As dual purpose tires they were good for that. I ride off
road though. I take this bike all over trails, off jumps,
to school, and on bike trips. For the price it's superb.
It handels good an' has held up well. When I got it the pedal cup fell off, but I could'nt use it an' let it drag.This bike is light, an' a great alternative to exspensive bikes (not in a different catagory,though).
The shifter got messed up, but that was fixed.Great parts for the price.KEWL!Go Mongoose!

Canondale, GT