Mongoose A50R Bike 1998 or Older

Mongoose A50R Bike 1998 or Older

Mongoose A50R

[Aug 30, 2011]
Jay

Strength:

good frame, shifters, stem

wheels, seat post

I bought this from my buddy, he had it for like 10 years and never rode it. It was apparently the first "Wal-Goose" back in like '99 or so... he said he paid like $350 at a mart in NY. I turned it into a "hybrid" since I use it mostly on the street and groomed trails. The Kenda K-Rad tires and riser bars made it much better. I'm too old to go into the woods anymore. I love the rapid-fire shifters, they are so much better than the twist shift on my Trek. This is a good solid bike for a hybrid, not sure how great it would be off-road with the rims it has. Overall though I like it... RST forks are kinda crappy, they might be frozen now since they don't move, but again for the road this is fine. I might replace them with solid forks anyway.

Trek 820, GT

[Jan 18, 2002]
Danial Warbritton

Strength:

-light and strong frame
-inexpensive

-components and wheels
-painful seat

Great inexpensive fun bike, but the original components really suck. They are okay for a weekend warrior, but will break or hamper performance on long distances rides, 60 miles or more. The frame is awesome, it is strong and fairly light and I really like the design and look of the polished aluminum. Great frame to upgrade. The Mega-Gear cassete blows chunks except on hills, but even then the Mega derailleur jumps the chain sometimes. Novice to Moderate riders will like this inexpensive and stylish alternative to a more expensive hard tail. Yet with upgraded components which release its true potential this bike can still be very appealling to avid riders.

Bottom line, I'd rather speed a few hundred to upgrade
this frame than spend $1000+ to by a comparable Trek or Cannondale.

Velo, Trail Master and Rhino

[Sep 26, 2003]
Arthur

Strength:

This is a great bike. I bought it at a Wal Mart with my first paycheck when I was 16. I have ridden it hard at least twice per week for the last 2 of the 5 years that Ive had it. I have never had to replace anything on it except the pedals and the lines. It takes a beating, Im 6'5 and weigh 195lbs. and it doesn't seem to want to quit on me any time soon.

The shocks could have more travel, but for the price, I wouldn't dream of complaining. And its too bad that the bike didn't come in larger sizes.

This is the absolute best bang for the buck. They really pulled their stuff together over at mongoose for this one. Its too bad you still get the looks from the "hardcore" bikers with all their garb. But it really does hold its own, I ride alot of hard trails and it doesn't fall behind the rest of the higher priced bikes.

trek dual suspension

[May 29, 2000]
Alex Nghiem

Strength:

Good Frame and Appearance. Received unsolicited comments ranging from "Your bike is perfect!" to "Hopefully your bike payments don't exceed your car payments."

poor assembly, gear components, kickstand, seat: The rear derailler was bent and out of alignment, the crank and front fork were loose, the kick stand broke, original seat hurts.

No bike shop I visited in Austin is willing to sell or service a Mongoose bike. I am told there isn't anything wrong with the bike itself--the problem is the "kids" who assemble the Walmart bikes often mess up the assembly so badly that it is more trouble than its worth for a shop to tune up these bikes. The shifter and gear components are a lower grade than what is sold in a bike shop, don't hold their adjustments for long, and these bikes have kept coming back for adjustment. Moongoose recommends servicing the bike every 100 miles, but where do you go for service?

Also own Mongoose D70R dual suspension

[Jun 01, 2001]
BUM

Strength:

-good strong frame
-fairly light
-good rear shock, still alive after all the abuse its taken
-holds a heavy rider well
-great for upgrades

the stock components could use an upgrade.
rear hub and cassette jammed and broke easily

this bike held up well for the first six months but after that it started to brake apart and i just began replacing all the parts.
the rear shock is pretty bad ass and has held up well. the frame is a great foundation for upgrades and it hasn't broken yet.
its a fair bike for weekend warriors and does well for cross country riders

[Apr 24, 2001]
Ed Cruz

Strength:

The aluminum frame is the coolest I have seen. It has no flashy color scheme, no uneeded material, and it is strong as hell.
It is a light bike which allows you to move and jump with ease. The price was a good strength. I saw other bikes for $400 more which were specialized solid suspensions, with rusted components as well as a GT with a few mods,but looked like it just wasn't worth it. Oh yeah and i got the thimb shifters instead of the grip style which suck to high heaven!!!

Hmmm the weakness.
The only weakness I found was the rims, they seem weak, but havent let me down yet. The tires were a lil worn, but hey, who has lifetime tires?

The bottom line is....this bike rocks for the price.
Like all makes and models, they have their POS bikes and their elite bikes.
This bike is an elite for the price.
I have yet to find another like it.
All I do find is the competitors which are either way too heavy or way too expensive.
Here I found a jewel who has kept up with the specialized and other "hi tech bikes"

I would have to say, this bike has been quite unique.
I used to have the heavy sister of hers which was the D70r I believe, the yellow belly (I pawned that one off to a friend, who pawned it off to another friend for $100) it was just too heavy!!!

[Aug 18, 2000]
francis sanjuan

Strength:

cheap, look good, decently light frame, low low gear

cheap rims, drive train,

I wanted a cool looking suspension replacement for my ancient trek. The trek is over 10 yrs old with only a suspension stem and I still fly down the hills at full speed and the mongoose is even better. Although the rims are cheep and so is that stamped sheet metal rear derailer. The A50-R is fairly light, but expected it to be more so with that cool looking aluminum frame. When I first brought it home I had to adjust lots of things and remove some reflectors and kickstand before even riding it. I guess you cant expect that much from a wallmart bike. Ill replace the wheels and derailers with the better shimanos off my trek. Ill keep that super low gear thought. 1st time experience with a shock fork and its real spongy. Ill probably replace the cheap RST with a rockshox eventually. Overall its a great economical platform for which to add better components too. Its perfect for the weekend warrior or financially chalenged student.

trek,huffy

[May 11, 2000]
Ray

Strength:

Price,Frame,Weight,not a bad looking bike

saddle,pedals well just about every thing but the frame,suspension, and brakes have to go.

This is a very good inexpensive frame. I can't say it is a good bike because of the cheap componets. The frame is bullet proof so far and is a good starting point to build a pretty good bike. the way it is set up it is fine for around town ridding but if you plan on doing some off pavement of single track the tires have to go. Then as parts start to brake or bend (wheels) replace them. I will give Mongoose credit for making a bike in the price range were just about anybody can get started and enjoy the sport.

Specialized,Trek,Cannondale

[Apr 10, 2000]
Dale Smith

Strength:

The Frame is awsome, everyother cheap ass pieces must go. Everything is crap other than the frame. I bout this bike for the frame. I imedietly striped everything else off started over again

Components, especially the derailers and rest of drive train

The bottom line is this frame geomitry is awsome the hard tail is so responsive it just needs a component upgrade. The bottom line is this bike is a great frame and a gtreat value if you are not hard core, but if you plan tgo go big upgrade the components.

GT LS Treck 8000

[Apr 04, 2000]
Jon Downey

Strength:

Good frame, entry level compents with a good starter price. handles good.

Pedals, wheels, tires

I like the bike, and will continue to upgrade it. The frame seems to be set up well and is a good foundation to start with.
It needs to be tuned before ridden and to have the reflectors and kickstand removed.
I also looked at other Kalloy suspension seat posts and the one that came with it seems to be mis-marked as far as the minimum insertion is concerned.
It is overall a good bike.

Cannondale, Diamondback