Millenium M6000 Bike 1998 or Older

Millenium M6000 Bike 1998 or Older

M6000

[Jun 19, 2013]
Jonathan

Strength:

Strong Chromoly frame, Shimano derailleur components. Rigida rims held up well. Shimano V-Brakes were good for the era (not sure if all came equipped with them).

Can't complain much about anything, considering the price range it was originally. The front fork bottoms out pretty easily, but again it was the 1990s, and for what it was, it was a good bike overall.

I thought I'd write a review on the first adult bike I had ever owned. I got it when I was just a kid back around 1995/96. Even though the bike was then too big for me, I was super pumped, because it had cool features that still weren't mainstream on entry-level bikes, like a front suspension fork, the then newer style Shimano Index system (thumb lever for upshifts, finger lever for down shifts), Shamino V-Brakes, and other trick stuff for the day, like a factory gel seat and quick release hub. The rims were made by Rigida (used to be based in France), and held up awesome, even after 15 years of childhood and early adulthood abuse. Rigida made good quality, entry-level rims since at least the 1970s. They're no longer in business, changing to the name Ryde some time ago. I am not 100% certain who actually made the bike, as "Millennium" wasn't a company, but rather an in-store brand, but I believe the frame said Made in Canada. I wouldn't doubt a well known manufacturer made it, as this was a well built bike, considering the era and the price range. The suspension fork is a no-namer SUS Fork that is soft and bottoms out easily. But with that said, I jumped this bike as a kid, and bottomed out hard, but the shock still held up. Overall, this bike is a simple, well built commuter. Although the skinny tubed frame might be a little dated compared to modern bikes, it's still good looking, finished in platinum silver/chrome. I've since owned higher-end purpose built bikes from brands like Rocky Mountain, Brodie and Trek, but the M6000 always served as my commuter. It survived my childhood, with me doing things with it that probably would have killed other bikes, but somehow it went unscathed. Surprisingly enough, mine is still all original. There's not much info out there on these bikes, but it's cool to find reviews on it and to know that other guys enjoyed them as well. If you need a commuter and come across one of these in decent condition, buy it! As a kid, mine was my Best Friend, and never let me down. All these years later it's still up for an adventure!

[May 25, 2001]
Duane

Strength:

sus-fork 962 front shock, Shimano Altus derailleurs, Shimano shifters, Rigida rims

cheap tires??

In Canada, this bike was about $299 at Wal-Mart. It is basically a Raleigh bike with the stickers changed over to say Millenium instead! (I got the inside scoop from my brother-in-law who works there) So you know you are buying from a quality manufacturer. I really enjoy this bike and since my Peugeot was stolen several years ago, I've learned to forget about it. I could have bought the same bike with Raleigh stickers for about $100 more but why? It serves a great purpose for me who rides after work or on weekends around some trails in and around the city. Since I accesorized with a bike computer, water bottle, under the seat bag, headlight and toeclips, I yearn for the weather to be decent enough to go for a jaunt 2-4 times a week.

[Apr 21, 1998]
Jesse Wall
weekend warrior

I've only been riding my bike for a couple of weeks now, and I am quite thrilled with the results. It is not a big $ bike, but this is the first bike I've had with Front_Shock and it has fulfilled my expectations so far. It also has the Shimano one-click-per-shift style shifters, which are very smooth. It is a 23 21-speed bike. It is a great bike to buzz around town, and prooves that you don't need lots of $ for lots of fun!

[Nov 29, 2006]
Nick

Strength:

Solid frame (big too). I've taken this thing down some north shore trails, and its still alive. Gears are really good.

The breaks were horrible. Had to replace them with V-types.

This bike can take some serious punishment for a Walmart bike. It even suffered 3 winters in Ontario. Good bike if you don't have much money.