Merlin Echo Bike 1998 or Older

Merlin Echo Bike 1998 or Older

Merlin Echo

[May 08, 2008]
Jeff

Strength:

Weight, simplicity, its titanium, welds, ride at moderate to high speeds.

Rear shock makes some noises. Bike is just to normal at low speeds, low speed shock absorption isnt what I expected from Moots type shock, seems to bottom easier at lower speeds? Oh and the tire clearance is pretty dismal. I am sure I can find a custom builder to cut a little bit out of funky shape chainstays.

This bike really shines when it is pushed hard. Regular family trail rides dont do this frame justice. Once the speed increases it comes alive. the handling is intuitive, the soft-tail starts to work as it was designed, quieting the medium hits just right. I have carbon bars on now which I may switch to aluminum, feedback is lost, to much give between the frame and flexy carbon bars. When I look down the bottom bracket is flexing pretty good but I dont really notice it once speed picks up. The bike is just "designed for speed" is the only way I can put it... I have to mention that braking is very good with the XTR v brakes, the shape of the stays really makes a difference there. I am happy with this bike, I am considering disc tabs welded on, Dekerf will do it for $200, I wouldnt sell it for any other 26er soft-tail, but maybe a 29er soft-tail.

Only FS or Rigid no other soft-tail type.

[Jan 14, 2000]
Jason

Strength:

-the speed it gives you
-the plain color
-titanium does not need paint, frame lasts 4ever
-moots pivotless suspension
-perfect geometry 4 me
-the highest end parts possible
-good 4 almost all types of riding

-price, but this is worth it 4 wut u get out of it

used 4 one year. echo makes me go a lot faster than any bike i have used. my friends use to beat me but with my echo, i just kick dust right in their mouths. good product 4 any hardcore rider or racer. perfect amount of comfort and speed. if you feel you r a good rider and need a new bike go 4 it. y shouldn't judge a bike by price.

'97 raleigh m-30, '98 stumpy comp, '99 big sur, '98 y-33

[Mar 15, 1999]
Michael Simpson

Strength:

Great on technical rides, meaning that it functions very similar to your standard Ti hard tail. The 1 1/8 suspension in the rear takes the edge off the ride. It's like the best of both worlds, but with the lightness, handling, and feel of a racing hardtail.

Your average college student can't afford it unless he's got rich parents. Building it up was like a work of art.

The bottom line is this: if you have the money, you want hard tail performance, you want some cushiness of ride, and you love a good looking bike, the Merlin Echo is it. I'm able to do things with this bike that no full suspension can do while doing almost everything that a Ti hardtail can do. Moreover, I can get some miles on the road with the bike without having the rear suspension steal 20-50% of my pedaling power.It rates 5 stars anyway you look at it.

Litespeed--they stole the idea from Moots, so I'm opposed to them. Also Litespeed's welds and titanium grade is not at the same level as Moots, Merlin and Seven.
Moots--I would have chosen the YBB first, but I would have wated 8-10 weeks for the frame.