Kona PAHOEHOE Bike 1998 or Older

Kona PAHOEHOE Bike 1998 or Older

PAHOEHOE

[Mar 19, 2018]
Jossey

Strength:

Great bike still use today. Still use today. With xtr grouoset mainly but now replaced with cheaper stuff as needed. I had the first set of xtr v brakes in the uk only by a day but its still the first. Hope hubs and azonic double wall handle bars.

Unusual head size

1998
[Aug 06, 2016]
Pavlin
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Lite and Stiff yet Comfortable, Well Balanced, Reliable, Cool. Need more?

Difficult to service and upgrade now days, but its not the bikes fault.

I've got it from new and still use it with great satisfaction. 20+K km on the clock (could be 25) - same handlebars, breaks, shifters and fork. The drive train was gradually changed but for the miles behind that's just fine. Sometimes ago when few times I'd borrowed it to friends with more expensive equipment they'd say "What a great horse!".

Corratec, Giant, Scott

[Sep 22, 2001]
Skolachi

Strength:

The standard applause for Kona's frame geometry.

Frame dents easily and LX cranks/BB should be upgraded.

If you are a tall rider, be sure to ride a Kona before you buy anything else. I'm 6'5", and I bought a '98 Pahoehoe on the spot after riding Rocky (Oxygen Race) and Giant (8500)...I would mention frame geometry, etc. if I knew what I was talking about, but I don't - so just make sure to ride one. You'll see what I mean. After 3 years, I am extremely happy with the bike, except for some flex in the LX cranks when climbing. No severe problems in 3+ yrs (probably thanks to the guys at Cove). Dented frame? Who cares. An ideal ride for singletrack XC, climbing in hardpack.

[Jun 13, 1998]
Andrea
cross-country rider

Thumbs up to this bike!!! I love everything about it! This bike has great
components. Kona has upgraded the forks from last years model AA, to
Marzocchi Z3 Light. Kona's Break and Enter tires go thru mud with no problems.
I find the Avid Single-Digit 20RW brakes stop on a dime. They don't squeel.
The Shimano Deore XT Rapidfire shifters are real smooth. I find that I am able
to go up hills alot easier with this bike for a few reasons, tires, lightness,
and the Ritchey Logic Pedal. First time using clipless and what a difference! I am able to power the bike alot more. Anyone who is not sure about
clipless should definately try it, it makes a difference!