Kona Lavadome Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Kona Lavadome Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Kona Lavadome

[Sep 13, 2012]
Bunga Lili

Strength:

Awesome material with the double butted tubing cromoly. I used for on road touring (400 km - 1500 km), adventure (uphill, trail, @ mountains of Java: Halimun, Burangrang, Banten, Baduy, South Beach Java, etc). Geometry is amazing for multiused bike. Tough, flexure, comfort, responsive.

No weakness...

I have 11 bikes, made from titanium, alloy, and the most cromoly. Now, I have 2 Kona Lavadome (1993). The reason are, the bikes proved me that they can use for every kind of tracks. No worried. And, I feel save when I rode my Kona. best geometry for me.

[Feb 23, 2012]
Zimmy118@yahoo.com

Strength:

This is a great bike I found a 1989 royal purple Kona Lava Dome at the thrift store this bike is light, solid and an agile and agressive ride.

No weakness found yet it excells at climbing and single track.

If you want a simple classic mtb or a solid single track machine this is the bike is the bike for you. If you want to ride technicical or drop offs this isn't the bike for you.

1993 Bridge stone MB-5

[Nov 10, 2011]
Phil

Strength:

This bike was bought for pe100nce in GBP, its a 1989 Purple Lava Dome 17 inch - it had been tucked away in someones garage - it has the original tyres even the reflectors on the wheels, impact headset, 165 handlebar, Velocity stem and of course that great frame. I will never get rid of it. As a collector of bikes it is like out of the shop.

Original pedals were crap, however due to this bikes originality ive rebuilt them but wont last hard riding.

Depends what you want had a few bikes before stuff cames mass produced like retro, My Klein(pre Trek crap)will eat any Stumpjumper, My Rocklobster eats most single speed modern set ups (hybrids) - My Kona draws attention like my Klein, and my Hoo koo e Koo is a great ride but blends in with all - great frame. In my opinion older is better and am looking for a Dave Yates currently.OLD IS BETTER

Klein Mantra 1997 in KOI, summer use only - GF hoo koo e koo - general hack but a sweet ride, Rock Lobster - single speed set up - love this bike

[Jul 29, 2010]
mort

Strength:

light weight - cool looking

non

i bought new in 1997. have schlepped this with me everywhere. now in the burbs in ct, this bike kicks ==s and i am glad to now see through these posts that it has become the classic it deserves to be. woo woo woo !!!

[Apr 25, 2009]
TrailNut

Strength:

geometry, stiffness, durability, looks/paint scheme, butted steel

oem seatpost, no oem disk brake mount (but easy for a skilled frame welder to install), barely enough clearance for 2.3 Conti MTB tire, Time ATAC pedals.

awesome.

I plan to trail and XC race this frame 'till end of time.

we have survived many fine crashes together on big mountains, the most painful from Butchers Creek and Second Divide (the lesser known trail than Third Divide, yet satisfying). I dig all the paint scratches and scars on my stout and lively frame. I don't mind buffing out the rust and coating with varish. I keep it inside (and locked).

I have replaced all part from the frame at least twice...

Considering Rohloff hub geared drive train, Magura Thor 100/140mm 20mm TA fork, and ceramic bearing UST disk wheelset.

Best "upgrade" so far -- local builder Bernie Mickelson brazed on disk tabs, YEAHH :) and did a masterful job. Thank you, Bernie.

While I'm shopping for a 140~160mm light AM bike and will, in good time, a Kona StabDelux bike for WC level DH bike to supplement, my main ride, Lava Dome, can handle majority of my off-road saddle time.

If you can find a used steel Lava Dome or a similar steel Kona HT (or Vodoo, both are designed by Joe Murray) then grab it.

Cannondale F300 HT, Kona Hahana, Kona Kikapu, Motobecane Team Fly

[Feb 22, 2009]
Darryl

Strength:

Very durable, will last a lifetime. It still looks good even though its 10 years old!

Came with grip shift, which suck. Alivio Brakes not too great either.

Awesome bike, will always choose to upgrade or fix it rather than buy anything new.

Trek 650, Raleigh Serengetti

[Dec 24, 2008]
starscream256

Strength:

Strong and light frame. Sometimes I try to push it farther than I think is wise. Have no idea about initial setup as I purchased it for the frame and after-market wheels that came with.

Sentimental value aside I would NEVER give up this ride. ever. I will have it until the day I die. It is my favorite toy.

KHS Alite

[Sep 17, 2008]
freddd

Strength:

solid, beautiful, long lasting steel frame, excellent value for the bucks

maybe the Mavic wheels, but only after ten years...

So why writing a review on an 11 years old bike? After all those years, this is still a pure joy to ride this late 90s steel marvell. Ok, I now use it only as a commuter, so what? I consider myself as an aggressive rider and this bike suits it perfectly. Even after somme modifications to the geometry with the stem extension, the 1.3 semi-slick tires and the longer seatpost, it reacts very confidently. The solid steel frame has a soul and takes all the city abuses with grace. No worries to suddenly quit the bike lane and jump on the sidewalk or make a shortcut through the park.

Beware : at low speed, this bike take a nap; but the more you get crazy on it, the more it asks!

If you find a Lavadome from this era, just by it! Mine is not for sale and I will give it to my son(he's now 3 years old)...

Specialized Hardrock

[Jul 11, 2003]
Donn Escario

Strength:

awesome paintjob, very efficient climber, very forgiving on fast descents

none yet

I bought this bike in '97. i believe it's the '96 model, though. It's orange with blue decals.The components that came with the bike weren't the best. However, the frame is such a sweet steel frame, that I ended up upgrading it all the way. The bike now weighs in at around 24lbs., which isn't exactly the lightest xc bike, but the point is that the frame is definitely worth upgrading. I used it for racing for 2 seasons, and it was awesome! I'll be riding this frame until I can't ride anymore, or until it cracks. If you find one for a good deal, BUY IT... you won't regret it... Steel is real!

independent steel frame

[Jul 21, 2007]
jordan gregus
Downhiller

Strength:

this bike has the most lightest frame but the most strongest out of all the bikes i have ridden, it brilliant at most things, i think i got the best bike for a cheap price

its weaknesse has to be the gears they sometimes dont chage as quick as they should but they are still pretty good

this bike is worth the money, it doesent brake ive rode mine for 7 years and the only thing i had to replace was the air in the tyres its such a easy bike to ride and i think it will last me a lot longer !

kona stinky, custom built hard tail