Kona Cinder Cone Bike 1998 or Older

Kona Cinder Cone Bike 1998 or Older

Kona Cinder Cone

[May 30, 2012]
Roy Dade

Strength:

Light, just wants to be ridden, quality components, mix of Suntour (chainset), DX and XT, Mavic rims.

Bought in 2011 after it had been sat in a back yard for 10 years, inner cables rusted otherwise all original. Replaced cables and tyres and after a quick set up back on the road and off!

Love this bike, just feels perfectly balanced, climbs easily, a classic! Never leave it unlocked!

[Dec 02, 2010]
LJ101

Strength:

geometry works, fork is plush enough for XC use yet stiff enough for single track.

probably not the lightest but other than that none that i can find.

best HT i've owned. use this mostly for single track and its just awesome. i only upgraded the parts just so i get matching components but the OEM components worked quite well. this one a keeper!

Giant XTC, Giant Rainier

[Apr 04, 2009]
elmodog

Strength:

1998 model...superb handling/ stability on single track or road, great ride

stock wheels/tyres, but thats nitpicking

i upgraded to explosiv but its just not the same ride feel and i regret to this day selling my steel cinder cone, it just felt inspiring to ride and if i could find another bike that rides the same i would snap it up.this was a case of the grass is greener on the other side........

1999 kona explosiv..1993 lavadome

[Jul 14, 2008]
cindercone

Strength:

Great value for the $$ - This is my first real mountain bike. I'm 6' 240lbs. and this bike is getting me into the best shape of my life. It fit perfect with little set up. Hydraulic disk brakes work great.

None that I'm aware of. Maybe the original tires, but that is probably me.

This bike always delivers and is a joy to ride. I'm glad the 2008 Cinder Cone was my first "real" mountain bike. For anyone still looking at Wal-mart specials...step up and get a real mountain bike. You'll be glad you did.

Pacifica, Mongoose

[May 17, 2003]
Elliot Kleiman

Strength:

The Forks are awesome. Oh my God this bike rips. The front and rear brakes on the 2003 cinder cone are so awesome.

The stock seat is kinda tough. You gotta get a gel seat; but I think thats standard with bikes these days.

The 2003 cinder cone is really a great buy. Not only does it look good, but it rides awesome. With the forks its so easy to do bunny hops, wheelies, and just really attack terrain at high speeds. Plus, it climbs really well for me. I love it.

I test rode all kinds of diff brands, after I rode the Kona bikes I was sold.

[Apr 11, 2003]
nick

Strength:

bullet proof! 8 years and going strong (still has the original headset - smooth as butter)

Onto my third set of shocks. The original marzocchis weren't bad, the rst's I replaced them with were crap, and my new rockshox duke xc's are awesome!

been thinking for a while about upgrading, but after a few hours in the dirt with old faithful I wonder why I even considered it. New shocks this year revived her. I get some funny looks from the youngsters when they see my old thumbshifters, but I club most of them in the races so who cares?!

diamond back, trek 8000, giant yukon

[Jan 04, 2000]
Cody

Strength:

Geometry, response, best bang for the buck

No shock(95 bikes), Kona tires

Bought this as my first real bike after 3 years on a 300 buck GT. (never ride GT!) This bike was the bomb for only $800 in 95. Sure, I have replace everything but the frame grip shifts, but that is no fault of Kona's. Kudos to Kona for building such a awesome handling frame. Only reason why I still have it. But on to full suspension now:`-( Looking at the Stinky or Mokomoko, oh, and the dbr X6. Any others I should look at??? Oh, no problems with my paint.

various other bikes, however, since I have been on the same bike since 95, nothing can compare.

[Jul 16, 1999]
Adam Cole

Strength:

Frame Geometry, Handling, Bee-oo-tifull

Indy C, Paint

I reviewed this bike just after I got it (April '98) and am still luvin it! I'm going to be upgrading to a full race bike in the near future, but I have yet to find one that handles as well as my Cinder Cone. Glad to see that Kona went with a Bomber fork for '99, the Indy on my '98 is waaaayy too flexy and likes finding it's own lines during hard cornering (a bad thing). Nuthin styles like a Kona!!! Peace.

Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS Comp

[Jan 07, 2000]
Ben

Strength:

Great Frame, responsive, decent components

not great for anything other than XC, weak tires

Great Bike for a beginnig XC rider, not very good for serious upgrades(although very worthwhile to upgrade)

Norco(never buy norco...please)

[May 18, 1998]
Justin Leov
racer

I have just bought a 1994 kona and i think it's great.The person who had it before me took all the components off it and put on better one's.Currently i've got Rock Shox Judy Xc and it and that makes it alot better to ride.If you clean your bike and strip it down every now and then it goes like a dream.Oh the weight of the bike is good too,Nice and light for all those hills you're going to have to push it up.