Klein Mantra Comp Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Mantra Comp Bike

Klein Mantra Comp Bike

GiantMountainTroll   Weekend Warrior [Mar 30, 2012]
Strength:

Strong frame, reasonably light, Good suspension. I love the fox vanilla rear. also looks awesome. No other bike like this one and it gets more attention on trails than my friends new fs trek.

Outdated parts, brakes are kind of played out. other than that its a great bike.

I bought this bike from a friend for a great deal. It belonged to his uncle that passed and the bike was just collecting dustt. Bike looks like its been ridden no more than 3 time so it was a steal! Retailed for way more back in 98 and was advanced for its time. Keeps up with new expensive bike like nothing.

altern8nrg   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2008]
Strength:

Frame/simple suspension design, quick handling/ride characteristics- smoothes out technical ST, bombproof stock wheel set, paint finish

Stock Manitou elastomer forks suck, overall weight, heavy stock wheel set

11 Full years of cross country riding $1500 original price, Same $ in upgrades- WELL WORTH EVERY PENNIE! Keep in mind I do not race. Although, I have become a very strong intermediate to advanced technical cross country rider who can blaze some serious trails. Great frame never a problem, excellent BB clearance. Keeps up with and performs with the best of all the expensive new bikes and designs and the new 29rs on all the technical singletrack you can throw at it. Quick, responsive, climbs very well, never notice the weight, great lateral stiffness. Upgrades have only enhanced all of the best ride characteristics Quicker, more responsive. Keep it clean, tuned, sit-n-spin, flow-n-go... if you find a decent one, well kept or collecting dust BUY IT if you ride cross country only- not for dirt jumps, mountain parks/north shore, big hit or trials riding style!

Similar Products Used: 2002 Klein Adept Race
Bruce Halliburton   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2007]
Strength:

LOOKS, Climbing

downhill is kinda scary.

Bought new in 98, handles great...downhill is a different story.

Similar Products Used: GT, Trek, Univega, Proflex
kilian weeterings   Cross Country Rider [Oct 21, 2002]
Strength:

overall handling, still turns heads everywhere you ride. amazing, come to think of it..

rear frame

well, in an earlier I had some serious troubles with frame warranty, because of a cracked frame. finally it turned out just fine. I´m still riding the bike, since ´98, and Nothing even comes Close!! after all these years. I´ve ridden the carbon version (year 2000) but it is not as good. that bike is too agile, with en even higher bottom bracket. When the going gets tough, for example high up in the Alps, I like my ´98er best. (and carbon isn´t really gary´s style, I think, so leave that to the trekkies)

to make up for last time: 5 chillies :-)

Similar Products Used: mantra carbon
kilian weeterings   Cross Country Rider [Oct 21, 2002]

rear frame

to make up for last time: 5 chillies :-)

Similar Products Used: mantra carbon
Jay Davis   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2003]
Strength:

It's a Klein! It rocks on uphill climbs. Its plush and you never really know how bumpy the terrain is unlike my fellow hard tailers!

Ghost shifting was a problem until I figured out how to cut a cable. The local shops just didn't get it!

I bought this bike brand new in 97 for $1,200. I never thought it would last 6 years but it is a KLEIN! It has been upgraded to the gills and only keeps getting better. It glides over stumps, rocks and fallen hard tailers like "Budder". Being a 210lbs rider this bike gives the confidence other bikes could never match. I abuse this Berryblast wonder on a regular basis and it never lets me down. If your thinking about buying a used one consider a new fork and rear shock! They make all the dirrence over the stock products! You'll have the craziest slepper in the crowd

Similar Products Used: Fisher Sugar, GT, Trek
Jonathan Udell   Weekend Warrior [Dec 27, 2001]
Strength:

Nimble, grip, looks.

OTBs, width of pivot joint between knees

I'm new to offroad biking, bought the bike used from an MTBR.com seller who got a Mantra Race. The bike is a stunning confidence builder. Very nimble, very plush. Just crank hard and it gets you out of all sorts of trouble. Pretty light for an FSB so it doesn't hurt as much when it lands on top of you. No bike at any price turns more heads. (Ride the boardwalk with a Mantra Comp pulling your kid on a tag-along for real stares.) It is all attitude, but backs it up with a great ride. I will own mine forever.

Similar Products Used: none
Aaron   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2003]
Strength:

Bike is awesome, what can I say. The full suspension is the best I have ridden. Bike is a beauty to look at and seems to draw attention from everyone I come across.

The so-called Ghostshift

This bike looks fast sitting still and even faster when flying down the trail. My old carbon fiber couldn't keep up with this thing. The Mantra climbs better than my old hardtail. Upgrading all the components and shocks help greatly from what i understand. I ride singletrack with the Oklahoma State Mountain Biking Team and the bike does great on the trails. The bobbing that I hear people talk about from the f/s can be easily taken care of by adjusting the rear shock. I have also heard people talk about going over the bars from time to time. Well I am 6'4'' and the large bike fits me just fine, considering i did put a high rise seat post and a high rise handle bar stem. The bike is great flying down trails and is good for climbing. My dad tried it out one day and liked it so much he is now trying to find one for himself. Now that I have experience the joy of f/s I don't think I would ever go back to a hardtail.

Similar Products Used: Trek Y-11; Giant Cadex (Carbon Fiber Hardtail)
Joel Devich   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2006]
Strength:

Very responsive rear shock, Love the Fox Vanlla, Nice looking bike gets a lot of attention, good fit for tall riders, light weight, strong frame

The stock Manitou Pro C forks suck, little to no travel, some ghost shifting early, but was fixed at 1st tune-up, other than that NOTHING!!!

This is a great bike! I have had it since Aug of 1997. Yeah over 9 years!!! I have never had a problem with this bike. The comp is the low end model and does have some cheaper components, but nothing that is to hard to replace. The stock Manitou Pro C forks SUCK and should be upgraded. Im planning to upgrade them soon. Also since this is a pre-disk brake frame im still running the V-brakes. I have found a kit that will convert any bike to a disk set-up http://www.therapycomponents.com/conversion.htm
Some people have had problems with the bike cracking a breaking at the rear end. I ride this bike hard im 6'1" and 180lbs, I jump off big jumps, off 4'-6' drop offs, do downhill riding (nothing to serious), bunny hop, wheelie, endo, and still have not had a crack or break in 9 years. Anyone who broke this bike must have done something wrong. Im planning to upgrade this bike extensively opposed to buying the newest wallet drain out there, this bike has been there and been great for 9 years and after the upgrades im sure that I will be riding it in another 9 years.