Jamis Dakota AL Bike 1998 or Older

Jamis Dakota AL Bike 1998 or Older

Jamis Dakota AL

[Jun 16, 2006]
Norberto Luis

Strength:

Light,

Because of age, not disc brake compatible

Awesome bike. I've had it since 1998 (bought a '96 left over in '98"). I'm not a hardcore rider, but this bike is great. Easy to throw around, between trees, and just an overall great bike. I'm considering moving up to a modern frame (disc brake compatible), but I'm having a hard time doing so because I love this one so much.

[Jul 11, 1999]
Levrow

Strength:

great components for the $$$ compared to others in this price range. i got a spring clearance deal!

stiff for smaller riders like me. but, i like it. the crappy cranks that came with the '96 models.

great bike for the money. damn nice-looking too. light and tastes great too!

raleigh
trek
gary fisher

[Mar 01, 1999]
Steve
weekend warrior

I've put about 300 miles on my Dakota AL and it is a wonder to ride. It's very well balanced which is crucial for carving a line between trees on the singletrack. I dropped the SRAM ESP Gripshifters and rear derailleur for Shimano XT's. Every component on this bike in high quality name brand which was one of the reasons I decided to buy it. My old bike was a Diamondback Topanga and this bike will run circles around it. I thought about a dual suspension but for single track racing that extra weight adds up. At 25 lbs. you can't beat the Dakota AL. Before you buy your next bike, I recommend that you test ride a Jamis. I think you will be happy you did. I give it 5 stars for quality and ride but 4 for price.

[Nov 12, 2004]
Michael

Strength:

The bike I have is a 1993 steel Dakota. The obvious strength is that it still rides great. Frame has held up extraordinarily well over years of use. Paint still looks great and still such a smooth ride. Climbs great and keeps an awesome line.

Frame so old, I don't think I could put more than a 65mm travel fork on it without screwing up steering geometry.

If this ever wore out, I would buy another Jamis, but I am afraid they built it too well. I have broken bones on this bike but it has never broken.

Also own a 1994 DBR Vertex TR.

[Nov 29, 2004]
garrett

Strength:

Frame & pretty much everything that came with it, even the Sugino Impel cranks which is still going strong.

Uhm, Jamis don't make it like this any more? Mine is a 96, when knobody even heard of Jamis except some shop guys.

This was my first real mtb, a 96 Dakota AL I bought rigid. I put on a 96 Judy XC, cut off the rubber fork boots, upgraded from LX to XTR, and hit the trails from NY to Louisiana. I love this bike. The bike came with WTB roller cam brakes, LX/Mavic 220 wheelset, mostly LX componentry and some Jamis parts ("Spectre" seatpost & stem). Since then I've had three other Jamis bikes (00 Komodo, 01 Dakota XC steel, 97 Dakar Team, which I currently ride). Village Wheels on 8th St in Manhattan (no more) sold them at one time for $800 and I told a couple of rider friends to snatch one up. Those in the know (like bike shop guys) all loved this bike.

Rockhopper, Trek 7000, GF, Kleins.