Iron Horse ARS 700 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Iron Horse ARS 700 Bike

[Mar 05, 2002]
jay
Downhiller

Strength:

Very rigid frame, also pretty light.

Shifters that came on it were very poor, it is purple

Dollar for dollar the best bike I have ever owned, consider I only paid 50 dollars. It feels very comfortable, and it survived a serious beating. I can keep up with most of the people i ride with who use brand new full suspension bikes. If you can find one around at a decent price, pick it up.

P3

[Jun 18, 2006]
Scott Simpson

Strength:

The frame. I don't know why anyone would slam a bike company for their components failing after 6+ years. I replace mine every 1-2 depending. This frame is among the best.

Well, I have not found or ecountered any. I ride tight & technical single track and this thing handles like I am on rails. My friends always comment on how nimble this set up is.

This is the end of the line for me as far as a hardtail goes. I will just continue to upgrade compnents and keep this one until I am shopping for wheel chairs. I don't even care if I can't join the disc revolution. I am a heavy rider and take this bike on lots of urban assaults with hits and drops. She has seen mountain trails and floridas worst sandy bottoms and muck swamps with roots jutting out all over. Not one single stress mark or fracture. If you are lucky enough to find one, DO IT!

Trek 8500 (yuk) and a sweet schwinn frame that I still have on the wall of fame.

[Apr 06, 1999]
Dan

I have a Iron Horse ARS 1000, it is a great bike, not very well known were I live but it is respected by all riders. They all compliment the bike on its good looks and light feel. I have put this bike through 2 years of abuse and it is still as solid as the day I bought it. I believe Iron Horse to be the bike company of the future, throw away the overpriced Cannondales and Treks and buy a mans bike. I highly recommend the new ARS 9.0 and ARS team edition bikes for all serious riders.

[Sep 25, 1998]
SAM GREENMAN
downhiller

TO ANYBODY THAT HAS AN IRON HORSE BIKE: IF YOU EVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR BIKE THAT YOUR LOCAL DEALER CAN NOT HANDLE CONTACT ME (SAM GREENMAN - PRODUCT MANAGER) AT 1-800-645-5477. WE DO STOCK WARRANTY PARTS, AND OFFER HELP IN A TIMELY FASHION, EXCEPT TO DISGRUNTLED FORMER EMPLOYEES (BRYAN IN LONG ISLAND). CHECK OUT THE 1999 IRON HORSE BIKES AT WWW.IRONHORSEBIKES.COM

[May 20, 1998]
Fraser
weekend warrior

Well, I don't ride the 800 frame, I couldn't afford it so I boucgt the good old Mt 100 racer series and slowly decked it out over the past year. It is a graeat bike and can easily adapt to the many add-ons I have given it. It doesn't rank up there with Specialized and ProFlex, but for a reasonably cheap all purpose mountain bike, it fits the bill

[Jun 04, 2001]
Shaun Cameron

Strength:

It was easy to say that the Iron peice of steel that was riding underneath my legs,had "balls" os steel. I found that even though that I'm a hard rider and enjoy the in and out's of the country,It did it's job.

I would say that the only weakness that is here is, that it has some wieght behind it.

The bottem line I give The Ironathe best ratting. Not having a line of trail bike's in my garage,I give the Iron 10-out-of-10.

Other Mountian Bike's in and around Vancouver.

[Jan 21, 1999]
Gerry
weekend warrior

I am a weekend warrior who tries to ride as much as I can....When I was new to the sport of mountain biking, I got my self a decent chromoly bike Trek.
The more I got into the sport, I realize the importance of a lighter and better
performance bikes. I went to several dealers and tested several popular named bikes. Considering the performance (impt. criteria)and Price (2nd impt. criteria), I decided to purchase the Iron Horse ARs (alloy). Comparing the ride and performance, I have never been happier in my life. I have been using this bike for 2yrs now and I am not switching unless it will be another Iron horse...of course a step above this model....I know there are other bikes better than the one I have but one thing for sure I will have to pay 2X the price just to find the same feel...I love my Iron Horse!!!!

[Oct 30, 1998]
Patrick
weekend warrior

I just purchased a 1998 ARS 6.8 with STXRC Components,Manitou Spyder Shocks etc... The Bike was regularly $1000, marked down to $699 then put on clearance for $599 and I got the salesman to give me an extra 10% off. So for $540 this is the greatest bike I have seen. I spent the last three weeks educating myself on what was out there to purchase including a Cannondale F700 for $899. I just couldn't justify the extra $350. So far this bike has been incredible and I feel like I didn't break the bank. (Three kids you know) Bang for the buck these Ironhorse bikes a great deal.

[Oct 06, 1998]
STEVE JOYCE
cross-country rider

I OWN AN ARS THAT I RECENTLY PURCHASED AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT SO FAR I AM PLEASED WITH ITS PERFORMANCE. THE FRAME IS NICE AND STIFFAND THE COMPONENTS ARE WELL CHOSEN, THE AREAS THAT IRON HORSE HAS KEPT THE PRICE DOWN ARE EASILY UPGRADABLE...SUCH AS THE WHEELS....I'M NOT TO FOND OF SUN RIMS FROM MY BMX RACING DAYS LONG AGO. THE ONLY NEGATIVE THING I CAN SAY IS THE PAINT CHIPS EASILY BUT IF THATS THE ONLY THING.....WHO CARES THIS AIN'T A FASHION SHOW!!!

[Oct 10, 1998]
cpmguy
weekend warrior

I'd like to send a shout-out to mbtr.com and everyone here for posting their thoughts. I was all set to go buy a '98 ARS 700 (for 20% off retail), but after reading about the non-responsiveness of the factory in replacement parts, shops stopping the sales of IH, no new FL phone number, and their web site down; I got nervous and will optpt for the Cannondale '98 F900 (discounted to $899) now. I'm sure the IH is a nice bike, but I need to know that the factory and bike shop will be around for the next few years to honor the warranty. Sorry Iron Horse.