Intense Uzzi DH Bike 1998 or Older

Uzzi DH

Intense Uzzi DH

Paul   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 21, 1999]
Strength:

Bombroof design w/ gussets
Plush ride
Sealed bearing pivots

Requires E-Type front derailler
Cost
Decals mounted poorly
No replacable derailler hanger

I have had this frame for almost a year now. It is a medium size and is set up in what I would describe as Bombproof XC and weighs in under 30lbs. The shock is a Fox TC although the Stratos with the thumbshifter control option would be a good choice as well. I will start with the downhill ability which is supreme, they don't call this a DH for nothing. The bike is stable at 55+ mph and can handle 3 mph rocky sections as well. Standing acceleration on flat sections is better than average also. I believe the 6 of rear travel is well matched with the 5 Z1. The adjustable head angle will allow you to compensate for longer or shorter travel forks and takes the bike from very twitchy in the top position to stable in the middle to plows like an M1 in the bottom position. The multiple adjustments on the Fox shock allow for tuning the ride to suit the trail. With all that said however, this really isn't a DH race bike - step up to the M1 if that's what you're looking for. IMO - 6 inches of travel is really not enough to handle multiple runs on some of the DH courses out there.Climbing isn't what this bike was built for but it does it suprisingly well as long as one or both of the shock controls are turned up. It feels like a pogo stick at a slow cadence if the shock is still wide open on a long climb. With both of the knobs turned all the way up, the rear end feels more like a softail than an FS bike. There is no way around the fact that this is an 8lb frame however.Maintenance is better than average. I have absolutely no play at any of the bearings but the shock mount is another question. It has developed some play on the bottom mount (shock to swingarm) and occasionally starts to squeak a bit - 10 minute job to clean and relube. I have replaced the mounting bolt but this did not reduce the play so I have to assume it is the shock bushing.I will go with 5 flamers for this frame, it really should be at this price.

Similar Products Used: Mountain Cycle San Andreas
97 GT LTS Team
98 GT LTS 1000
Foes Weasel
Curtis Cool   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 1999]
Strength:

high quality
sealed barings
overall design.

poor stickers (come off easy)
price
non replacable hanger

This bike is the best ride I have had in a long time. It handles the downhill like a hot knife through butter, and will climb with just a little more effort. The best set up is a 46 big ring and a 24 small ring, lets you go anywhere!!!!!
super plush travel with the sealed barings, after riding this rig I will never ride anything else!!!!

Similar Products Used: foes wisel
fsr elite
Jason   Downhiller [Jul 09, 1999]
Strength:

Built strong

price if any

I love this frame it was the best choice I have made regarding mountain bikes for a long time , the Stratos rear shock with on the fly lock out is awesome , and plush is the word for the , all bearing rear end . At the moment I am running triple chain rings so I can ride up some of trails which is great.
I downhill geometery frame and you can run a triple chain ring I won't say it is super light but there are heavier frames out there.
Definately worth the bucks , DO IT !