Huffy empty Bike 1998 or Older

Huffy empty Bike 1998 or Older

[Nov 14, 2011]
mimi

Brakes don't work!

I purchased a Huffy bike (cruiser) a few months ago, and the FIRST time I used it the brakes failed in a down hill and I ended up in the emergency room with second-degree burns all over my leg and arm. I contacted Huffy to make them aware of the defective product and they did not even take responsibility for it. Stay away from these bikes!!!

[Apr 17, 2011]
Michael Bise

Strength:

Solid frame, simple design, highly exchangeable parts, and compatible with most modern parts

Had it since 1998, I have all the original parts, speed is MIND BLOWING, greece the crank, use the gears, even with old tires I get mine up to 35+

I have to say out of all the vehicles I have tested the Huffy back water is by far

the toughest and fastest huffy made, sure it needs care, a good garage, and a responsible owner, but keep her oiled she'll outlast you garenteed

another thing I have never lost a single race, even against modern high end tourist bikes

starts out with cheap tires, low grade rubber brake pads, and has a habit of losing power when hit by headwind, but tires and brake pads are a dine a dozen

Probably one of the most underrated mountain bike ever produced, reliability is almost military standard, glossy black coat give a sharp appearance, and its old faithful, highly recommended

Huffy Dakota, Trey Antilope, Huffy Supra, Huffy S-series (backwater prototype)

[Sep 21, 2010]
BLT

Strength:

This thing has survived 12 YES 12 years of alternate abuse and neglect, and it still works great!

the original saddle died after 10 years, and overall it is pretty heavy

My family was given a set of these bikes (my dad manufactured the packaging) in 1998. I still ride mine.

pick a dept. store bike and I have tried it

[Aug 27, 2010]
unluckey_underdog

Strength:

no strengths what so ever.

i found it in a junkyard now i know why it was there.

i would say it was a kids bike but i wouldnt let a kid around the crap on wheels.

none.

[Feb 07, 2010]
Elijah1982

Strength:

A Huffy Eschelon 18 Speed, I paid nothing for my Huffy, but spent around 50 to 75 dollars to fix, which was a waste considering the sh@@@y bike shop the Recycler in Lawrence, KS. It has a solid frame and is made in the USA (strenghtness or weakness?).

The brakes were deadly to rely on. Whether on the trail or on the road this bike tried to kill me.

I honestly cannot suggest you put much money into your Huffy unless you love it, as I do. I cannot see myself investing any more money into this bike. It seems too dang expensive to fix than to keep my newest bikes going. I hate to say this, because this was my first working adult bike since I started riding again. I have had numerous problems with it and snotty bike shop kids telling me to buy something new.
If you can find a used (Specialized) at a reasonable price, even if needs repair, do it. I am impressed by the quality of my old Specialized hard-tail (no suspension)and two with front suspension. I have paid a lot for three of these, but they are everlasting. Please go with V-brakes if you upgrade.

Giant Rincon (with God-awful cantilever brakes) also tried to kill me, Specialized (a little newer and better) with V-brakes. My most reliable hard-tail and another that I don't get to ride often.

[Mar 06, 2002]
Mike
Downhiller

Strength:

Cheap,good value,full susp,headset.

Forks,shock,frame,chainset.

A good bike for everything except downhill and drops.Forks and shock clunked the second day.If you are a commuter,buy a hardail.This bike is good for anything but extreme riding.
This product is not worth upgrading.
P.S.Any serious downhillers in Boston area?If so,please let me know.

Giant,PEUGEOT,GT.

[Feb 06, 2002]
Aaron

Strength:

Frame, rims, paint, styling.

Rear gear cassette broke a while back which I left broken longer than I needed to due to the fact that I inherited a nice used Diamondback Apex. I guess thats more of a strength in that it allowed me to get a real bike. Also, there is a popping sound which comes from the crank.

Its a cheap bike that has needed some work, but its 6 years old. I bought it in 1996 when my previous junker broke in half while I was doin a wheelie, so it has served me well for a while. Its overall a solid bike which is perfect for riding on the street. It is now being passed down to mom since she "thinks its purtee." If you arent going to be jumping a bike off of curbs and riding it hard, a cheapo walmart bike is fine. You get what you pay for and thats why I rate this high because its a good bike for the money. I would probably still be riding it had I not been given my uncle's Diamondback Apex. This introduced me to the world of quality bicycles and I cant go back. Ive outgrown it so I moved on to a nice midgrade bike. As soon as I get some miles on the tires I can rate it so we'll see how that one goes. Bottom line: Huffy makes a damn good piece of crap.

Walmart or Toy R Us junk bikes, DB Apex, 2001 Raleigh M60

[Jul 06, 2001]
T.J.

Strength:

VERY DURABLE DOESNT BRAKE
TIRES DONT BEND/POP
PAINT AND DECALS
EASY TO MAINTAIN CONTROL

BRAKES
WEIGHT
SIZE OF FRAME

THIS BIKE IS FUN TO RIDE MORE THAN IT IS TOO RAMP OR DO STUNTS BECAUSE OF ITS WEIGHT SO IF YOU WANT TO RAMP AND DO STUNTS THIS ISNT THE BIKE FOR YOU BUT IF IT IS JUST TO RIDE THEN GO AHEAD AND BUY IT... I HAVE HAD ONE FOR ALMOST A YEAR AND I HAVE HAD A LOT OF GOOD COMPLIMENTS

NONE

[Sep 11, 2000]
Robert

Strength:

It is so smooth on dirt and other bumps. It is balanced very well. It is very dependable at handling surprises in on the road/trail.

In cold/wet weather, I had some trouble turning the grip shifts.

You could own a fleet of my bike-(in which I love) for the price of a Cannondale at $5500. I think that if you are starting out in Mountain Biking.. it is really the way to go. It is a fantastic bike. In the last 6 months, I've ridden up to Mt. Wilson 10 times. I've ridden up to other other mountain areas in the Angeles forest and taken it on many other trips. It is really the funnest and greatest bike I've ever had. I lock it when I leave it and honestly, even though I love it, I know I could easily replace it if stolen for its low price. It is just perfect to check out the mountains with-to lock it and leave it. It is solid, dependable and a load of fun. I thought that if I ever had company who wanted to cycle, it'd be a good bike for the guest to purchase.. ride it, then ship it home. It is comfortable, easy to ride.. I could just go on and on. It really has gotten a bad rap.. although if you care to find the real truth.. it is a great a bike for the price-for any price-honest.

Road bike

[May 03, 2001]
Dana

Strength:

Sturdy construction for the price. Dual shocks, solid bike.

Brakes suck. A bit heavy.

This bike is great for the budget concoius biker. I'm at school in southern illiois-and have taken it out up north (Starved Rock area) and down here. Handles well for the price, and is pretty indestuctable, which is a great thing for a college student to have. If you're looking for a cheap, solid bike that will be a challenge to ride, grab a Huffy.

Trek, Murray, Kent