GT Palomar Bike 1998 or Older

Palomar

GT Palomar

youknowmyname   Cross Country Rider [May 13, 2014]
Strength:

indestructible frame & fork, rigid fork (yes, I consider that a pro)

pretty much everything else, especially the drive train

(Review applies to the old full-rigid GT with horizontal top bar)
Two hells of a frame. Before it got stolen, I have used up two cranksets, three sets of rear cogs, four sets of pedals, two rear axles (ok - these weren't so much worn out but simply broke), almost two front hubs and several spokes, not to mention rims there were easier replaced then straightened. I took it up 30° hills (an toppeled almost over backwards), I rushed down lanes at 30 mph; I crashed it several times, including ways that led to ambulance calls (I did not quite agree about needing one, but doctors are hard to argue); I had to loosen the seat post once with a 3 feet lever; it got its fair share of snow and salt; stood in the rain; had parts of its paint rubbed of by continous wear and in the end...
... it still was sturdy and straigt (and heavy), as on the first day, even the parts missing frame didn't have corrosion problems. Even the headset didn't show any signs of wear.

The original drive train and hubs made it easy though, to run down the first set of every component. Front hub lasted less then two years, rear cogs less then four. But if you get one today, these parts won't be original anyway - so go and grab the best 26" frame kit I know off. (Just like that a**hole did with mine :( )

jefwilli   Weekend Warrior [Oct 31, 2008]
Strength:

Frame is SOLID. Good for a beginner to build on.

Components are what you'd expect from a sporting goods store bike. Seven speed drivetrain is outdated.

Great Bike to build up and build experience on. Good blank canvas to fill as experience and budget grow. It's a good bike for someone who's just starting out and isn't sure how much time or money they'll have to invest in the sport. Definitely great value frame to build on while still riding. Holds up well to short thrashings by this 200 pounder.

That guy   Cross Country Rider [Aug 28, 2008]
Strength:

Lightweight, handles great, strong, inexpensive

shifting is iffy but I have had the bike for about 6 years and have never gotten a tune up or attempted to tune it or oiled anything

I use this bike for mountain biking, road biking, and trail biking, i've taken 2ft drops with it and bombed steep rocky trails, I am also well over 200lbs, the bike has held up great and my only complaint is that it didnt grow with me and is now a size too small. I like the solid frame and it is easy to throw around. just ride far back if you are bombing hills and absorb with your knees.

I dont even remember what my parents paid for this bike. im not trying to say it is the best bike ever but for the money it is amazing

Mashooque Ali   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2008]
Strength:

Rigid frame & quick release shifter

Heavy and low end bars

Good for nothing!

Similar Products Used: GT Tequesta
Jack   [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

$265US, it cost me $530 in Australia - anyway it has a really strong frame and is light enough - brakes are great it's almost perfect for everything (providing you do everything pretty well)

gears are pretty cheap, and is prone to flipping ppl over the handlebars(or is that just me?)

Its a great bike for starters, and the frame is indestructible, it is useable for pretty much anything, but be careful if you want to jump with it, the wheels get *fudged* really easily. Plus it looks great - even when you have bald tyres, and no grips, else the git who stole it today wouldnt have. Also it could be a bit cheaper, cos now I need a new one...

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Avanti and Raleigh - but I like this one best, It's why I bought it?
Fatman   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2002]
Strength:

Great Beginners bike.Looks pretty good,at least it must have to the guy that stole mine!

Components aren't the best and it is bloody heavy but you only get what you pay for.

I bought this as my first bike and it didn't disappoint.In hindsight I would have gone for a better GT to start with but you have to learn the hard and expensive way.The frame was really strong and components are lineball with other bikes of this price range.If you think you might get into serious riding this machine is not worth the upgrades to do so.Accept it for what it is and you will be happy,it can take some serious punishment and will look after you but the components will let you down over time.It's a great value bike for beginners but obviously not a huge performer.

Similar Products Used: Giants,other GTs,Cannondales,Avantis,Sintessi,Merida,Litespeed,I spend too much time at the local bike shop.
Steve Pokorra   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2001]
Strength:

Tough as nails, hangs in tight and doesn't buck as much as last few bikes

NFI, this one seems to have been heavily modified before I swapped it. Right now, no sealed bottom bracket, scummy ratio's, bottom routed cables

I swapped this for a Mongoose BMX. Would appear mine was a lot more modified past stock than I'd assumed. Love it how it is, thinking of getting something a lot lighter and full suspended and using this as a road bike instead

Similar Products Used: Colorado Trail Blazer, Avanti GT Pro, Haro XTreme Full Suspension
Anne   Weekend Warrior [Apr 02, 2001]
Strength:

Very strong and durable bike. I've got over 6000 miles on it so far (road and Mountain)!! The frame is STRONG!

Never really shifted properly, you sit kinda high up, and I've had some difficulty replacing parts especially the crankset. It seems like it's almost cheaper to just get a new bike than to replace worn-out parts on this one!

This is a GREAT bike for the price and a great bike for the beginner. I've actually worn the points off the gears, replaced the crankset and the cluster, and I'm still riding it!! The addition of shocks and a different shifting system make this a great bike for only $250!!!!