Giant Yukon SE Bike 1998 or Older

Giant Yukon SE

John   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 1999]
Strength:

Very light and strong frame. Suntour front shocks, excellent brakes.Velociraptor tires, and a very comfortable seat.

Crank set could be up-graded.

Probably the best entry level-serious mountain bike for the money. This bike wants to be tortured. Don't be fooled by impostures.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose A-52
Aluminum Huffy
Jason Rodgers   Weekend Warrior [Jul 23, 2005]
Strength:

Unbreakable...I've taken this thing on some really rough 4x4 roads, some minor jumps (<2' of air), singletrack and it's held up to everything I've dished at it! The wheels have stayed trued and spokes tight. It's not that heavy, and it's comfortable around town.

Only the lowest gears have trouble shifting now, and the stock Suntour fork is shot!

I wouldn't pay more than $75 for an in-good-shape one, but for a beginner bike it's great!

Similar Products Used: Mt. Cycle Moho STS
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2003]
Strength:

Frame...its a easy inexpensie upgrade for a beginner like me. Relatively light compared to similar products sold in 1998. Comfortable seat.

The Suntour cranks. Rear Shimano Alivio derailleur. Suntour SR forks seem a bit spongy.

I bought this biked very used from a second rate used bike shop. I gave my KHS to my gf so that we can both hit the trails, it was a smaller frame. I wasnt looking to spend much money so although it was pretty beat up I bought it. So I cant really say for sure how the bike would have peformed new. But in 2003 its going to be all used..so if ure buying used my thoughts are: At this age, all the major drive components need to be replaced. Mine has very few miles left. The forks, which are old so i cant really critize, but now they are way too spongy. I like it overall...it rides softer but stronger than the KHS full suspension. It will do until I (if) get serious.