Giant Rincon SE Bike 1998 or Older

Giant Rincon SE

justin christian   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2001]
Strength:

It is a very strong bike. Long lasting paint job and really well functioning parts for the prine and short term. Good geometry, Good for intermediate riding.

Good parts for the begginer only

This is a fine frame- The wheelset is adequate and actually functions quite well. That is, when not going off dropoffs. It seems you can ride over any root or rock, but landings kill them. The brakes work OK, but I'd tighten them pretty close to the rim to avoid a mushy feeling. I wasn't crazy about the seatpost either. Two water mounts is nice to. The only thing I'd suggest changing off the bat is the tires. May I suggest velocorapters. They seem to work well w/this bike. If you can, this is a good bike to build up to a strong cross country bike with your own parts. later.

Similar Products Used: next v frame, specialized rockhopper A-1, trek c-fiber y-bike, trek 7000, giant carbon fiber cannondale lefty. (had more than 1 day or race of riding on each.:-))
Erik Hart   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2000]
Strength:

Grat parts for the price, fairly light.

Overall I paid 289 for the bike, my first in 10 years. I love the thing it is getting me back into riding trails on the weekends to get away from the TV and working on the computers. I am going to test it out this weekend. The only weakness in the bike it the operator right now. Good bike for the price.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose
  Weekend Warrior [Jul 22, 2000]
Strength:

greatest looking mountain bike for the price. Very sturdy machine, very good piant job, will get you the compliments. The best bike for the entry level but once you buy it, you find out it is much more that just an entry level bike.

I have had some problems with the gears and even after getting the service from the bike shop, hasn't been any better.

I dont know if all rincon SE come with the front suspension but mine has them. I paid 325 for mine with some gadgets to go with it and I consider it a good price for a good mountain bike with front suspensions. Its my first bike in 15 years and I am glad I selected the rincon SE. I love the suspensions, they are for real. I think the dual suspensions would be an over kill for the weekend warrior types like me, well I dont know if rincons come with the dual suspensions.
Right now I am looking for a road bike, but I am keeping my rincon, cant beat this machine.

Similar Products Used: none
Eric Anderson   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2000]
Strength:

Good starting bike, can really take a few wacks.

Brakes needed to be replaced 1 week after bought. Heh... also, after a year minor problems started to arise like the rear cogs needed to be replaced (which i still havn't done)

Good to start with... but i paid $560 for a brand new rincon SE... and 2 years later (now) bought a Kona Mano Mano (used) for $875 .... (you can make your money go further) Oh ya.. and one more thing.. The shocks will get stiff in the cold..

Similar Products Used: Kona Mano Mano, Kona Hahanna, Kona Cinder Cone.
patrick alvarez   weekend warrior [Jan 22, 1999]

I'm new to the sport, but tried many entry level bikes out before purchasing my Rincon SE. I loved it so much I bought my wife one and recommend it to anyone just starting out. The suspension helps so much in the rocky terrain of San Antonio.

Johnny Jet   cross-country rider [Jul 29, 1998]

Beautiful looking, rock smashing frame, and an absolute trail ripper!!! I have almost broken my entire body riding this mean machine, and it doesn't even have a scratch from all the beating. No dents, chips, or anything mechanically wrong with this semi-beast. The only thing that I had to replace is the V brakes from the alloy generic to XTR V's. I have never been so satisfied with a bike. Great price for this little monster too!!

Paul Peh   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2001]
Strength:

Affordable bike for trail riding and for beginners who wishes to get into that sport. Reliable components and light, about 29 lbs on mine.

The Suntour M8040 shocks dont do well on hard bumps but over pebbles and small tree roots its fairly okay.Cranks flexes a lot and gear shifting kinda sucks when going uphill.

Well rounded bike for off road and on the road. Great recreatinal bike buit not for the serious thrill seekers.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Tessajara, Rhino Stealth 4 co-moly frame(Taiwan made) and Trek 4500