Giant ATX850 Bike 1998 or Older

Giant ATX850

Rudie Hellewegen   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 04, 1999]
Strength:

Shifting

Suspension

It's a great bike Good looking also He's shifting very fast with shimano Deore LX only the shocks are in the beginning very strong Iv'e bought the bike for $550 But im very happy whit it

Redmer   cross-country rider [Mar 19, 1998]

Bougt this bike beginning '97, red one without front suspesion. Looking good and going strong but replaced some things. Last read did a beach race and destroyed my crank bearings by going through the salt water up to my knees. Had it replaced by a better one and also new chain + casette, but thats normal. Crashed into a fence at 50 km/h and the bike still ok but real rim was completely destroyed. Replaced by a mavic, looks a lot better and is too. Recently put on a pair of wellgo clipless ledals and new tektro V-brakes and that's a real good upgrade. Still very pleased with the bike and STX-RC group still OK. The new 850 must be even better with FS and V-brakes mounted at only a 100 Dfl. more. Great value for money !!

Andy Loescher   [Dec 04, 2000]
Strength:

STIFF LIGHT FRAME. SRAM 7.0 SHIFTERS.

MANY PROBLEMS WITH THE DISC BRAKES.

FOR THE MONEY THIS BIKE KICKSASS. I HAVE RIDEN IN SOME (YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT TO SAT BUT THIS SITE HAS THAT DAMN PROFANINTY SOFTWARE) THAT OTHER BIKES HAVE FALLEN SHORT ON BUT THIS BIKE JUST TRUCKS ON.
BOUGHT THE BIKE ONE YEAR AGO AND HAVE RODE THE PISS OUT OF IT. FOR THE FIRST FEW MONTHS I HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE DISC BRAKES. SOME STRANGE GREASE WAS FORMING ON THE DISC AND PAD AND IT MADE THE REAR DISC ALMOST USELESS. TOOK IT IN AND GOT NEW PADS AND THE DISC DEGREASED AND THE PROBLEM DID NOT GO AWAY. AFTER THE PADS WERE WORN ABOUT A QUATER THE WAY DOWN IT FIXED IT SELF. HAVE HAD A FEW MINOR PROBLEMS WITH THE SHIFTERS. THINKING ABOUT AN UPGRADE TO 9.0'S. ADJUSTABLE FRONT SHOCK IS NICE.
ALL IN ALL ITS A GREAT BIKE FOR THE POOR MAN. RIDES NICE AND THE COMPONENTS WILL STAND ONE HELL OF A BEATING. ALL THOUGH ITS NOT TUFF ENOUGH TO TAKE REALLY LARGE DROPS.
VULVA

Similar Products Used: MONGOOSE, CANONDALE
Richard Everitt   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2007]
Strength:

Light frame, easy to throw around

brakes and stock tread

Having owned this bike now for 5 years its a wonderful piece of work. Having a small build I opted for a undersized 14" frame. I have taken it down many hard trails, and DH where it was not really suited but did the job! some good 2m drops with no bad outcome.

The brakes are bad and only lasted a short while, then upgraded to some hope minis which are perfect for the frame.

If you can still get hold of this bike as stock clearance anywhere I would advise it.

Here's to another 5 years service and many more happy miles

Stephan   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 08, 1999]
Strength:

Lightness, Stiffness,
Rear deore LX, shifters,

diacompe brakes, rear cassette sprockets, chain. RST suspension.

After my first real mountainride I cracked the wheels and the chain. But after replacing the wheels by Mavic Crosslink and a new chain and sprockets this bike is very good. Especially the geometry of the frame. It's very light so therefore suitable for climing.
If you change the tyres for some wider ones, the bike feels like ferrari on the road.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh magnum (very old!)
Bob Smith   Weekend Warrior [May 17, 1999]
Strength:

The ATX 840 has a good
alu frame and handles well.

Mine came with matt red paint which looked good at first but falls off easily. Crank bearings also failed after 2 trips.

Not a bad bike, but I now wish I had gone for a Specialised or a different Giant bike with a proper paint job and decent shocks. - dealer (Dales in Glasgow, U.K) fitted crap crank bearings that failed.

Similar Products Used: Giant Alu Lite
Marin Pallsides Trail
Specialised Rock hopper
Rupert Smith   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 22, 1999]
Strength:

Nice aluminium frame
paint job
Wheels
drive train

RST381r Fork
Dia Compe Brakes

This is an excellent bike for the money and I'm very pleased with it. Got it in an end of year sale. The main let down is the fork which is very
stiff, especially for someone as light as me. The
brakes don't look like they'll last as long as shimanos... and they don't quite have the same vicious bite!

Matthew Friend   cross-country rider [Jan 18, 1999]

GIANT ATX 830I got this bike back in 1996. It cost me about $450 with acera x componenets and a cheap entry no name fork. I upgraded to a 98 INdy XC all LX components with grip shift shifters, and now I love the bike. It has taken me through so much I could never get rid of it. It has survived getting hit by a car, all my crashes while biking, even several races where I totally wiped out. Thanks GIANT!!! I love this bike.l;

Martin Thomason   cross-country rider [Oct 14, 1998]

I got a 98 atx850, yellow with matching RST381Rs at the front. So far not changed anything on it, it works fantastic as it is. Probably the only thing I will change is to stick some SPuDs on it. It handles perfectly. My average time over a six mile ride has dropped by nearly 4 minutes thanks to its lightness and responsiveness. Everyone who has seen it reckon it should have been over 700 UKP but in fact it was 400. Great bike!

Jon   cross-country rider [Jun 17, 1998]

This isn't about the ATX850, yet the ATX840 which is only available in Australia, NZ and Asia. I bought this bike for a real steal, it was only 330 US (3980 Hong Kong dollars) it came with Indy C's and they work like a dream. I've been everywhere with it, this bike is a monster! The only complaint is the seat.. after 7 hours of riding i had one major butt ache!!!!! hehe, the bike fits perfectly (17 inch) for me as i'm 6ft and 173 pounds and the frame is great. Anyways, don't bother buying expensive GT's or Treks as this outperforms them, and it's so much cheaper!