Giant ATX 970 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Giant ATX 970 Bike

PeterR   Cross Country Rider [Nov 17, 2008]
Strength:

Allround Use in the Dutch dunes, the Alps in Austria and the Ardennes in Begium.

Front Suspension ( RS Jett TT) replaced for a Noleen XC multi-link carbon, Brakes replaced for Magura HS 33

Great bike after 10 years of use 8200 km. / 4.950 mile.
only the original Frame is there, havy bike but still going strong. If i can buy a new second hand bike like this I will replace the front suspension and go for a new 10 years

Similar Products Used: Nop,first ATB
Trevor Z   Downhiller [Sep 22, 2000]
Strength:

Light light light

weak downtube

this bike is cheap, light, and not designed for downhill at all. i think it would make an excellent bike for XC, because of the limited travel. the rear and front shocks are a little too stiff for me, as i am 15 and weigh only 120. I broke the downtube in 6 months, but i raced downhill twice during that period. it works for XC well, but if intend to freeride aggresivly DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE. instead buy something with a reinforced head tube. i give it 4 burning bar-ends.

Similar Products Used: 99 Brodie Brat
Robert   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 1999]
Strength:

Mine is a '98 model. As such, I was able to get it for $650.00 new!
I have found the suspension to be highly configurable to suit all types of riding. The suspension can be adjusted without any tools. I have thrashed this bike and it has not given me any troubles at all.

Some components are not as cool as they could possibly be but who cares. If you are that concerned with having the best of everything, get ready to tripple the price. I'll be satisfied with second best for a third of the price.

The 2000 and 1999 models are considerably different. They have added primo components at a primo price which is way out of my range. If you can find a '98, it shouldn't cost more than $700.00. At that price, this bike is a steal!

Similar Products Used: Raleigh $500 model- no suspension (can't remember the exact name)
Performance $500 model- no suspension
Steven   cross-country rider [Jul 21, 1997]

I have a Giant ATX-980 it has the same frame as the AtX-970(('97 model). I think the value for the$ is extremely good. The CU92 aluminium frame was excellent in stiffness and it was lighter than most of the full-suspension bikes around that price range. The bike came with a Judy front suspension it was very plush but the rear RST 53 it a shock that's pretty hard to compress it got alot softer after 1 and a half month but I'm still considering a softer spring since it came with a spring that takes 450 lbs. The 980 has a bomb proof wheelset actually the mavic 220 rims are race ready I never seen a bike that came with such good wheelsets for the price.My only complaints are that it didn't come with clipless pedals, the rear tires didn't have Kevlar when the front one did but I guess I can change my tires when they get used up. And finally the extra 3$ that Giant didn't spend to give the bike a XT rear derailleur.

Bob   cross-country rider [May 24, 1998]

I have had my '98 ATX 970 for about two months now. When I purchased it I had the Bike Shop replace the Indy C with a Judy XC LT, and had them order a Coupe Deluxe to replace the RST-22 it back. I rode for a while with the RST-22 because it took about a month to get the Coupe Deluxe in. The Judy was comfortable, but not super plush (that's OK because I've owned a Judy on my last bike and was satisfied with its performance). The RST in back was stiff, even with practically no preload on the spring. With the Coupe Deluxe now in place, the back seems more plush, although the rear end is not as supple as some full suspension designs. As for the rest of the bike, so far the only trouble I've had has been with a creaking bottom bracket that was fixed by the local bike shop where I purchased the Giant.Overall, I am very happy with this bike, as it provides a very comfortable ride (more so than my Trek 930 SHX w/judy XC and Hydrapost). The frame seems very robust. This is my first full suspension rig (although I've road a Specialized FS), but I think it is a great ride, and for the money a great buy (especially with the upgrades I mentioned above (less than $1600 CAN in total w/upgrades!)

Franky   weekend warrior [May 18, 1998]

Further comment (last post 30 MArch): My RST 22 depressurised some weeks ago & I've been waiting for 3 weeks to get it back. OK, it had to be rebuilt because of piston damage, but 3 WEEKS!!? General comments have been There's nothing wrong with RST except the sticker on it. I must agree. The shock performs OK, but RST servicing leaves a lot to be desired. If you want a bike to ride, not look at while it's being fixed, don't buy this bike. Please, Giant, review your component mix... dump RST for someone reliable. A bike is no good when it takes so much time to repair when it breaks. I'd give it one star, but it's good when I can ride it! Check out the posting from mad penguine (UK). Looks like Giant cares little for after-sales service.

Gus   cross-country rider [Nov 04, 1997]

I think that the Giant ATX 970 is a great bike! The Of the best for the price.
If you are looking to buy one, I have mine for sale. If you would like to see the page with pictures and a lond description please look at
Giant ATX 970 for sale

Jeremy Powell   Racer [Mar 11, 2001]
Strength:

Fairly Light, its a Giant, durable, cheap

This was a great bike. It was my first suspended bike, and served me well for 5 years. The last two years I raced on it and won quite a few with it. Never any problems with it, great price, and isnt too heavy. Good entry level race bike, even though it isnt made any more.