Giant '99 ATX 860 Bike 1998 or Older

Giant '99 ATX 860

grant gaston   Cross Country Rider [Feb 16, 2003]
Strength:

Frame only original component remaining. however, frame fantastic. I'm a large person for MTBing(108kg) and the bike seems to handle the constant hammering well.light yet very strong.

original components were far below standard for xc racing. no weakness in frame.

If you find one, don't walk past it. Also don't be fooled into buying a flash shinny bike from the showroom floor. A good second hand Giant ATX will not let you down. Being lightweight and perfectly designed, the bike will climb anything any time of the year.

Similar Products Used: second frame for me. 1st was a pro-flex that finally gave up the ghost. no longer get the elatamers in NZ.
Allison Alexander   Racer [Aug 19, 1999]
Strength:

-Light weight frame
-Comes in small sizes
-works great

-fork is heavy
-rims are crap

I had my bike for about 3 months now. I love it. I upgraded the rims to SUN SUB IV's, and the hubs to LX. So far I haven't had a problem with my bike.

mark shells   [Aug 15, 2003]
Strength:

Frame takes a pounding and comes back for more, excellent stability and awsome on the climbs.

Giant sold the frame, the components are lower grade, but this bike is well worth the upgrade money. If your looking for one tuff frame, look no further, if your a gadget junkie, you wont find the hight tech components here.

It is arguable that a better frame (production) has not been built, It is light, very strong and stiff, wont give up on the hard stuff, while I am not the best rider, I am heavy and strong. This one just won't bust like the rest. It's a keeper and Will make a great Mountain Cross bike for next season!

Similar Products Used: Stumpjumper, KOM, NRS-XTC, ECT, ECT,
Pat   Cross Country Rider [Apr 17, 2008]
Strength:

Climbs with ease if you sit right forward.
You can stay on the ATX for hours!!!
Disk capable.
VERY Light!
Negotiates tight single track well.

A bit twitchy particularly when your body weight shifts back going uphill.
A bit light in the front when on the steeper stuff so you have to slow down a bit which is different in comparison to the CFM3 which was pretty agressive in posture.

18th, April 2008:

My ATX 860 was awesome until a few weeks ago when I went over the handlebars and the rear triangle slapped a rock bending the seat stay pretty badly, partially crushing the tube. It is still ridable but went going down stuff like the Bulli escarpment in Sydney's South coast area but will need some structural support to stop the frame from folding at the site of the impact.

Excellent XC bike. Will take everything you can throw at it. It is just unfortunate that she copped a hit in the most unexpected area, compromising her strength. My fault... :( My poor ATX.