Gary Fisher Tassajara Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Tassajara Bike

Tassajara

Craig   [May 07, 2013]
Strength:

Solid bike...

paint seems to chip easily...

Great bike for the price I paid. I recently picked up a Gary Fisher Tassajara hard tail with standard forks, it's purple in color, not sure of year but guessing from the 90's, has all Alevio shimano components. I paid $40 for the for the bike at a garage sale, they were asking $75. It has some chips in the paint but nothing really bad, I am looking for some touch up paint for this bike, anyone have any suggestions? Did Fisher make touch up paints for their bikes? Thanks for any info.

Edward Salazar   [Jul 17, 2012]
Strength:

Solid Strong Bike,rain or shine.

I don't see or feel any.

Like people use autos. I use this Bike; I put in at least 300 hundred or more miles a week on my Gary Fisher Tassajara. The last 15 years I've had at least 4 other mountain bikes, 2 were stolden and 2 were junk. This Gary Fisher Tassajara bike I have is awesome!! This bike is in a league of its own!! This bike keeps me young and I'm 61 yrs. I can't even see myself driving an auto again. "Thank You Gary Fisher"

Mike   [Apr 22, 2012]
Strength:

Durable, lightweight and geometry is great

I've had this bike for nearly 14 years... it has gone everywhere with me, from aggressive riding now to pulling the kids. I love this bike and am finally upgrading some of the parts. The front shock (Manitou) has finally given out and the shifters need replacement also. Great investment and I've had lots of fun on this bike- I can't give it a high enough rating!!!

Lil Jen   Downhiller [Dec 20, 2010]
Strength:

It lasted me 12 years!!! never had to replaced front/rear derailleurs, good upkeep on maintenance makes a bike go a loooooooong way, and combining that with an AWSOME Gary Fisher made it go even further!
I LOVE the light weight and maneuverability for tight corners, the front shocks (manitou) were pretty great and lasted this long. My front hub is FINALLY going downhill.
I've dropped this thing off some 3 footers and it just still kicks ass.
however, after 12 years of loving this bike, I am finally convinced that the rear suspension has been developed enough to switch over. I love my little Tassajara but it's time for a new one. I would recommend one of you're looking for a descent hard tail that will last FOREVER!!!

I always had a hard time with the uphill and the front shocks. perhaps it's me and my skill, but on technical uphill, the front tire was always popping off the ground on me. I also wish it had more gears, but that was then, and now they do have more gears. I'm sure they have improved on this since 1998

Gary Fisher is completely awsome! I hope I can afford a full suspension. I'm ready! I'm thinking; "holy s*#t! if I can drop a 3 footer on a hard tail, what can I do on my new GF all mtn?"

Similar Products Used: NOTHING! I've been so satisfied with my GF that I didn't have to do anything.
Sp4rt4cus   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2009]
Strength:

Geometry is amazing. This was my first all custom build, and it is the best I've yet ridden. Climbing is wonderful, just as downhill is fast and clean. I'm riding an 01 frame, Marzocchi fork, XT Derailleurs, Spec Roll-X and Eskar Elite tires on Rhynolite rims. Avid brakes, etc etc. Highly Recommended.

The only issue I had with the bike was that the steerer tube is incredibly long. This is necessary for the geometry to be so awesome, but it makes it hard to replace the fork with something from another bike. Overall, however the small sacrifice is worth it with the great frame geometry.

Gary Fisher is the first and last name in mountain bikes, and the Tassajara is THE hardtail of choice. If you're a singletrack XC rider of any kind, I highly recommend this bike. Worth every penny.

Similar Products Used: Spec Hardrock, Rockhopper, Raleigh M-40, other various builds
garywalnuts   Weekend Warrior [Dec 05, 2008]
Strength:

As has been said; very strong and beautiful frame. I love my bike.

Seat, Wheels and fork.(rock shox jett)

I have a '97' Tass. I've put thousands of miles on it and have ridden it much harder than would be recommended by anyone. Other than the wheels and saddle all of the components still work just fine. But after reading a thread about aluminum frames and fatigue life I was thinking about getting a new bike this year. But I really don't want another bike. The frame is beautiful and it has a lot of memories for me. So I am just about finished replacing all of the components including a custom made, gold headset spacer engraved "With this ring, I Thee Wed." I love my bike.

Similar Products Used: Stump Jumper, Pro Flex, Kona Lanai
pghpensfan   Weekend Warrior [Oct 15, 2008]
Strength:

Tough frame, wheelset

Componentry maybe not top of the line, but I don't care

I went back to bicycling looking to lose weight, started at 360 lbs! Found this 1998 or 99 Tass on Craigslist knowing that I would probobly tear through a store brand bike pretty quick at my weight. Now down to 300, rewarded myself with a new Kaitai. But there is something about the Tass that keeps me rotating between the bikes. I ride to work every day, and have the Tass set up more like a hybrid, but not a problem yet. I love the bike.

Similar Products Used: 2008 Gary Fisher Kaitai
Jack Connolly   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2003]
Strength:

Frame Size, Low Weight, Agility, Crankset, Shifters

Cheap Ass Rims, No Suspension

Great bicycle, after more than 2500 miles of riding on this bike it still rides very nicely and no frame distortion or creaking. Whatever your riding environment, this bike holds its own for the most part.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rock Hopper
Federico Alban   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2002]
Strength:

Frame is just awesome, with a really cool paintjob.

Sucky Rims
Stem gets loose!
NEEDS suspension...

Upgraded to Manitou Magnum, Better Rims, Aheadset and STX V brakes. Great bike for the money, have traveled more than 600 km on it over white beaches, asphalt and mud. Have also raced it a couple of times and have done quite a bit of traveling with saddle bags. Now a days I ride it to work every day and back. Some regular maintenance and the damm thing still feels like new!! HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!

Similar Products Used: Jaisa MTB
Specialized Rockhopper
Khoi   [May 20, 2000]
Strength:

Smooth ride, responsive handling, light weight, lively but non-fatiguing road feel, priced right. Great!

Cheapie components, I've had the stem come loose once. Also it came with the crappiest seat I've ever come across on a decent bike. Feel how bad it is and then replace it!

OK, I don't know what year my bike is. Here's how it looks, though: It's the one that's got a beautiful dark reddish rust color with matching fork - no suspension. The frame is cro-mo, made in the USA and designed in California. There's a small graphic of a swordfish riding a mountain bike on the side of the seat tube.

I really do love this bike. I got it for steal, used for $160.00. It had obviously been used, but the frame only had some minor abrasions on the paint. When I first rode this bike, I was surprised at how nicely it handled. It was responsive and the road feel was great! The fun factor was way up there. Aside from the usual quirks of setup, tuning, and adjustment, I'd say that this bike is awesome, considering the price (especially the price that I paid for it).

The frame really is the heart of this bike, and it doesn't fail to deliver. In my opinion, the frame would be at home on a bike price around $1000.00 or so. The geometry is right on, nimble and agile but not quirky or squirilly. The ride is smooth. The steel frame absorbs the bumps surprisingly well. The real skimping was on the components.

The components that came with it are cheap, cheap, cheap. It's embarassing, almost. It's not anywhere nearly as bad as those crap department store bikes or low end Schwinn type rigs, but if you're used to higher end Shimano or Campy stuff, it'll make you say "Hmmm."

It really didn't bother me that much, however, since I bought this bike with the intention of commuting to school and around town with it. No need for ultra tough components for that, so I'm going to keep most of it as is. Actually, the component do what they're supposed to do fairly well, so it's really just an issue of feel and durability.

The first thing I changed out was the seat (to one of those Specialized ergonomic models). For commuting purposes, I do intend to change out the tires to a pair of Specialized Fat Boys or equivalent road tires and add a set of fenders to it. Also, I'm thinking about switching out the pedals to a set of Nashbar carbon fiber SPD pedals ($40.00). I want to keep things on the inexpensive side. Also, the stem has to go.

For those looking for a commuter bike, I can't recommend this model year (?) Tassajarah highly enough. I feel that with a few upgrades, this will be about all anybody could want in a bike to get around town on. For this purpose, you won't need a suspension fork, so it's perfect!

Not that this bike is boring and should be relegated to commuting only. It handles so well that you'll want to make every ride an adventure. The appeal of such a setup is this: the bike is priced just right so that if you use it solely for commuting, you don't feel like you're wasting your money.

You'll feel satisfied, however, knowing that if you wanted to, you could go out and rip up the trails and that the bike will perform well past its asking price (even better if you add a suspension fork and sensibly upgrade the components). How cool is that? That's value and performance for you.

For those who value quality and performance but don't have the time or desire to make mountain biking a mainstay of life, the Tassajarah will make you happy. Ditto for those just getting into mountain biking and who are looking for a surprisingly decent, upgradable platform on which to race, learn, and grow. For it's asking price, this bike is great!