Gary Fisher Procaliber Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Procaliber LTD.

caid   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2011]
Strength:

light weight, the genesis geo, evo headset (uber strong), rigidity, climbing, and i think the butt fugly paintjob makes it look secretly pretty.

evo headset (hello out there...anyone have parts for me???), shocks leak air slowly but surely, not replaceable hanger.

its really nice, i like it alot. i use it as an all mountain bike, and as a single track bike, and sometimes a dirt jumper, and have put over 500 bucks into in since i bought it with a bent rim, horrid cables, bad brakes and tires ect. just recently got hit by a car and that ruined my headset somehow. i got the frame checked and its still straight. durable, and fast, energy isnt absorbed before its put to the ground, then when you descend, it steers and the shock goes up and down, and you can sometimes get air, and usually even kick your buds ass that rides the modded to crap trek 7000!!! BUY IT!!! id grab some chips, 5 flamin chilis for this bike.

Similar Products Used: marin hawk hill, gary fisher opie, salsa ala carte, GF wahoo, trek 4300 and 7000, diamondback something.
Michael A. Ridenour   weekend warrior [Jul 10, 1997]

Mine is actually the 1996 yellow/red/black Team-Issue Fisher which I hear is the same frame other than paint job. I have decked it out with sun 17A rims, union tie-dye spokes,MRC cranks, and many other goodies. Anyway I have taken it to Jim Thorpe and Whitetail and rode the hell out of it, I go extreme with it at the local state park several times a week and have yet to have problem one.- The bike freakin' rules!!!!!!

Vincent Liu   weekend warrior [Jan 09, 1997]

What a great bike! I am not a racer, but the bike responds to my inputs very well and it is very light compared to my last bike, which was a Cannondale. I found the components to work very well with the bike and the geometry to be very comfortable for long rides. I was worried about the reliability and durability of the OCLV frame, but I believe it should be fine used within its intended design limits. It is unfortunate that the OCLV bike will not be available as a complete bike for '97 but as a frame set only.

Mark   Cross Country Rider [May 03, 2000]
Strength:

Super light, best looking bike there is (I own the limited edition Paola Pezzo Frameset), great handling

almost too light, watch out for chainsuck

This bike is the ultimate x- country racer, it is as lighter than titanium and just about everything else out there, my frame has the factory paint job, a gold to red fade with the matching custom painted Judy SL, to give it the racing look. The frame weighs only 2.9lbs allowing to climb anything and float down technical situations. The King hubs are also very light and are bombproof. The fit of the bike is what makes it, I ride the 19.5 and am 6ft tall, and it feels like it was custom made for me. Bottom line: I love this bike if you see one for a good price grab it, just don't treat it like a downhill or trials bike and it will hold up great.

Similar Products Used: mongoose titanium, moots YBB
Jimbo   Weekend Warrior [Sep 14, 1999]
Strength:

Unbelievable ride. Really light, soaks up bumps and climbs amazing.

I broke my first frame after a year and a half, but it was replaced under warrantee.
Doesn't look as great as it is, so you don't score the babes :)

In three years, I've never regretted buying this bike. I've never lusted after anyone else's frame, because I know this is the best.

Similar Products Used: Several other hardtails
Adi   Racer [Sep 14, 1999]
Strength:

Light
Stiff
OCLV-ride is smooth

Judy SL blown after 1 year, changed to springs and risse gem
onza click pedals are unusable

I ride this awesome bike since june '95. It climbs fast as a rocket and, once you get used to it, also goes down as a maniac. All of my friends that tried it, had to admit: it's the best ride. For the frame: still going strong and I weigh 72 kg. This year is the fifth race season and I do marathon and normal cc-races. I did quiet well on it twice the euro-bike-extremes race series and many other marathon races such as the Grand Raid Cristalp. I did a lot of touring in the Alps with heavy package and I was really happy to have the procaliber. It took 10'000 km without a problem. It's the third wheel set on it and I changed some other parts, but I didn't expect to last light-weight parts forever. Ah, and my first Judy SL broke after four years.
I love the smooth ride of the OCLV and will go on for many more miles on the trails.
Thanks to Gary Fisher for building this great bike!

Similar Products Used: a lot of high-end bikes as serotta, moots, kona, brodie, bianchi etc.
Stan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 31, 1999]
Strength:

Light weight, accepts all components

Finnish scratches easily

This Frankenstien (thats fron-ken-stine) has been an absolute joy. No matter how hard or easy the ride, it always brings me home. Have gone through one set of wheels, three standard seatposts, three sets of drivetrain components, and two forks, the frame has held up beautiful. I'm not running the lightest stuff,( the fork weighs more than the frame!) but it still is under 24.5 lbs. It makes an old dude like me even look good on the Colorado Trail! Five Chili's (for not having to take an 02 bottle on my rides)

Similar Products Used: Mongoose, Specialized
Conan   racer [Feb 28, 1999]

This is one of the best packages ever put together. Excpt for the tires I wold race tis bike any place. If you just get rid of the dorky crancks you have a great bike.

justino   weekend warrior [Sep 01, 1998]

Very dissapointed in this frame. I recently built up an older fisher procaliber, the rasta fade steel version. I built it with all 98 xt/lx with manitou, contrlol tech, and bontrager ti goodies. This was a waste of money. The geometry of the bike is odd. The frame is the right size and the stem is only 120mm, yet the bike has unyielding desire to endo. It climbs great, but as soon as you point is down hill it feels as if your ceter of gravity is about three feet ahead of the front tire. Not exactly confidence inspiring. Also, the thin walled cromoly tubing is super fragile, one good crash and there is a scary looking dent in the driveside chainstay. Buying a classic lightweight steel bike is not recommended for weekend thrashing and hill bombing, so it probably partially my own fault. Luckily I have my old aluminum lx bomber for that.

Nathan McFarlane   weekend warrior [Jun 09, 1998]

I still own a 92 ProCaliber and love it. Actually, I've replaced about everything on the bike but the frame and and drivetrain. It's still got a Suntour kit... I feel like I bought a Beta. Oh well, as long as nothing breaks. The frame is great, I plan to replace the fork with an Indy, maybe.